badminton augmented by other sports: golf, tennis, etc.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by vip_m, Oct 7, 2007.

1. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    I consider myself very lucky to have learned sports other than badminton like tennis, golf, bowling, swimming, running, pelota, squash, racquet ball, and ping pong. I've found that my experience with those other sports actually augmented my skills and knowledge in badminton.

For one thing, it really helped me in explaining the techniques in the book, "Advanced Badminton Techniques". For example, in explaining the tumbling net drop (which is inspired by the great Indonesian player, Hendrawan), I was able to use my experience with bowling to better describe the stroke (see the attached illustration--sampler.png).

With smashes, I was able to observe badminton top players use a bigger swing arc just like golfers do to increase the distance of their swing stroke.

With ping pong players, I noticed their reaction time and ability to adjust their body english is just like what elite badminton players do to return seemingly impossible defensive shots.

Having experience with track and field also helped me understand the aerobic-anaerobic techniques described by Butch Oreta to achieve untiring endurance (also in the book available at http://instructoons.com/book).

So I was wondering how other sports have helped (or hindered if ever) your badminton game?

In my case, though people kept telling me playing golf would interfere with my badminton game, I've found the contrary to be true: after finishing several buckets at a driving range and playing badminton right after, I've found my smashes to be stronger because my arms were strengthened after hitting with the much heavier steel-shafted golf clubs.

With tennis, maybe it would interfere though, but in my case, I actually taught myself to play tennis left-handed (even though I'm right-handed and not ambidextrous) all because I didn't want it to interfere with my badminton strokes (in fact, I sometimes use my right hand badminton stroke in tennis when returning deep hits to my backhand--I end up hitting it with a right-handed badminton-type forehand underhand stroke).

But a former national player I know is also a class A tennis player (and he uses the same hand--his right) so I guess it doesn't bother his game much.

With volleyball, I've seen former varsity players able to hit the badminton jump smash like they've been doing it all their life 'cuz I guess its very similar to the volleyball spike.

So what's your take? How have other sports affected your badminton game?

Attached Files:

#1 vip_m, Oct 7, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  2. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Golf and badminton rules !!!!

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Different sports and games use different muscles. Even in badminton, singles and doubles are two very different games, requiring different muscles. In today's badminton, at the highest level, you do not mix them. Even more so with other games like tennis or golf with badminton. A former Malaysian player, Tan Yee Khan, became a golfer after retiring from badminton, and he became quite good in golf too. But when coaching others in golf he would insist "wrist, wrist, wrist" power and nothing else for the power drive. But is that the right way?
    For recreational players, of course they can play and mix different games.

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

This is particularly important for young athletes. Kids can learn many general movement skills very quickly, but have trouble with some of the very high level skills since they're not fully mature. Ideally, they should be introduced to a large number of dissimilar sports from a young age, and gradually specialize to the specific sport(s) that they enjoy and perform best as they get older.

The variety of experiences will help the learning of sport skills, and sets the foundation for high level ability. However, from an already advanced athlete's point of view, don't expect participation in a different sport to have significant effect on your skills in your primary sport, at least not for a while. Participate in other sports to enjoy them. If your intention is to improve at your main sport, try to figure out what aspect of that other sport helps so much, and incorporate that into your training.

5. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Good points!

Good points! So should doting 'stage mother/father' parents who want to groom badminton prodigies make sure their children get balanced exposure in other sports?

Also for adults, doesn't exposure to other sports help one understand the principles that work in badminton (wrist action, knee during footwork, etc.).

6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    since i play table tennis my reflexes are better and since i play tennis my strength is better.