need advice on planning a badminton tournament

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by frankcent, Oct 7, 2007.

1. frankcent

frankcent Regular Member

Hi, guys,
    Next month, the club at my university is going to host a badminton tournament and I am one of the people who are planning and organizing it. However, we have difficulties in planning it. I have been to tournaments at a neighboring university. One of the systems was that a team of 3 competes other teams in 3 games in doubles games and there were upper and lower draws. Or just singles/doubles teams play eliminating games. However, one of the major problems is that the club at my university is not very competitive, where only a small number of people are skilled players. We don't want people to get discouraged and a few more experienced players just dominate the games. Our goal is to attract more students and provide a fun event. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    hi frankcent,

I have organised (or been part of) the draws for Arafura (which is an amateur International) and the NT Open here where I live. I can tell you that in the NT Open we have a similar issue, there are a few serious players and a lot of B/C graders. You need to divide them or the tournament will be unsuitable for those that do want competition (ie; they have a game which is too easy, which I find can sap your edge because it is boring).
    If you have enough, play teams, or play an individual round robin even if numbers are slim to keep the amount of games being played up.

Cheers
    Feel free to PM me.