User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly View Post
    I didn't see the old wording as all that redundant. To my mind, the wording was only slightly redundant -- enough to make it very precise, yet still fairly concise. It did require careful reading (and a graphic) to fully discern the intent of the somewhat wordy wording. On the other hand, I view the wording of the current law to be too vague -- what exactly is meant by a downward direction?

According to a serving law explanation in one of the instruction vids on Badminton.TV, a serve that is executed with the shaft that is nearly horizontal will likely be disallowed. Unfortunately, this explanation, like the new law, is somewhat vague.
    If you are referring to this video:

http://www.badminton.tv/content/item...ule-2/114.html

all the drive serves in that video look legal to me. Even the drive serves that the speaker in the video is claims may be called a fault by a service judge is still legal by the new definition in 9.1.6 - that is, the serve at 00:34. If you inspect the serve that speaker claims "may be faulted," the shaft is slightly pointing downwards at the instance of contact. Thus, it is legal as well - even though the shaft is almost horizontal in that video.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9.1.5 the whole shuttle shall be below the serverís waist at the instant of being hit by the serverís racket. The waist shall be considered to be an imaginary line round the body, level with the lowest part of the serverís bottom rib;

------

Is this still intact?

Because watching this clip i'm sure the shuttle is being hit higher than the waist line or bottom rib.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt827rAhmzE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Playful-Wind;1349703]9.1.5 the whole shuttle shall be below the serverís waist at the instant of being hit by the serverís racket. The waist shall be considered to be an imaginary line round the body, level with the lowest part of the serverís bottom rib;

------

Is this still intact?

It's still the same, it's just that the shoulders are sometimes raised higher creating an illusion of hitting it higher than the bottom rib.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard from a young friend competing in a competition in Singapore that the service judges fault players for moving their arms in the course of service. In detail, they(the judges) fault players who move their racquet forearms whilst serving the shuttle, and their(the judges) interpretation of the service rules is that the players who serves should move only the wrist parts of his/her racquet arm. I find no rules describing this interpretation but is this true of service plays during official competitions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by qinglong View Post
    I have heard from a young friend competing in a competition in Singapore that the service judges fault players for moving their arms in the course of service. In detail, they(the judges) fault players who move their racquet forearms whilst serving the shuttle, and their(the judges) interpretation of the service rules is that the players who serves should move only the wrist parts of his/her racquet arm. I find no rules describing this interpretation but is this true of service plays during official competitions?
    Of course this can't be true. Many professional players move their forearms to serve even for short services. How can you serve high without moving your forearm?

The danger could be that when trying to make a serve, more so for a flick serve, the player hits the shuttle higher than allowed in the rules. It could be the hand holding the shuttle moves higher thus resulting in the player striking it at a higher point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrist flick and forearm movement/rotation (no elbow movement though) is alright when serving.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEs View Post
    Wrist flick and forearm movement/rotation (no elbow movement though) is alright when serving.
    There is no rule against elbow movement.

Really, it's a lot easier to understand the rules if you actually read them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    There is no rule against elbow movement.

Really, it's a lot easier to understand the rules if you actually read them.
    Unwritten rule applies? Besides, quite frankly it is best to flick it and a stationary dangling elbow does not give much away as to whether it will be a wristy move or one than involves the forearm!

Umpires should not only read them but master them. Players must play to win and not worry about contextual rules!
    Last edited by FIVEs; 01-21-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEs View Post
    Unwritten rule applies? Besides, quite frankly it is best to flick it and a stationary dangling elbow does not give much away as to whether it will be a wristy move or one than involves the forearm!

Umpires should not only read them but master them. Players must play to win and not worry about contextual rules!
    It does not matter how you do it (technique) but you should do so as permitted by the rules! And the main criterion here is that you should hit the shuttle below the waist as defined by the rules! You can employ any part of your hand - the upper arm, the elbow, the forearm, the wrist and the fingers but don't hit the shuttle at a point above the waist when serving.

Yes, you must read and understand the badminton rules or laws.

Umpires need not be badminton players and certainly need not master the various techniques of playing a stroke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    It does not matter how you do it (technique) but you should do so as permitted by the rules! And the main criterion here is that you should hit the shuttle below the waist as defined by the rules! You can employ any part of your hand - the upper arm, the elbow, the forearm, the wrist and the fingers but don't hit the shuttle at a point above the waist when serving.

Yes, you must read and understand the badminton rules or laws.

Umpires need not be badminton players and certainly need not master the various techniques of playing a stroke.
    Ok then, read the rule book! Frankly, I don't. Oh btw, didn't I make it a point that it must be served below the waist? So, what did I missed? I almost never get called for faulty service motion.

But of course, understood! However, how many pro players give away their shots prior? By way of giving too much (away) untoward movement that leads to their shots being read?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi guys. i need some advice. due to some players "smashing" back a return for backhand low serve, i tried to break my serve into 2 parts - 1) a quick pull back and stop for abt half a second, and 2) serve. is that a service fault?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone shed some light on these question for me please?

1. As the player serves he/she drops the shuttle making sure it meets the waist line/below ribs during the drop and then striking the shuttle.

Is this correct or is it, that the racket has to be struck with the shuttle firmly grasped.

2. While serving, the other player on the serves team must be behind the server and in the centre or is it he can be anywhere as he/she is not serving?

( if possible does anyone know where in the badminton laws it states the players role during serves can't find anything )

Many thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Playful-Wind View Post

1. As the player serves he/she drops the shuttle making sure it meets the waist line/below ribs during the drop and then striking the shuttle.

Is this correct or is it, that the racket has to be struck with the shuttle firmly grasped.

2. While serving, the other player on the serves team must be behind the server and in the centre or is it he can be anywhere as he/she is not serving?

( if possible does anyone know where in the badminton laws it states the players role during serves can't find anything )

Many thanks in advance.
    hi. my thoughts are 1) shouldn't be any fault [single's high serve], and 2) no fault [mixed double]...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Playful-Wind View Post

Many thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by petertan_sg View Post
    hi. my thoughts are 1) shouldn't be any fault [single's high serve], and 2) no fault [mixed double]...
    Exactly. What the laws did not prevent, you can do. E.g. the laws did not mention about smash/drop/clear so players do all of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is a lot of confusion because the rules do not go into a lot of detail... so keep this in mind. IF it is not considered a fault then it's legal. Don't need to ask anymore questions unless you don't actually understand what's written.

So the shuttle must be struck under the waist (lowest rib). It does not matter if you're holding it or have thrown it 5 feet up in the air first as long as you strike it under the waist.

As for the servers partner, he/she can be anywhere on the court. with the following kept in mind.

9.5 In doubles, during the delivery of service (Law 9.2, 9.3), the partners may take up any positions within their respective courts, which do not unsight the opposing server or receiver.

As for the pause between backward and foreward movement..

9.1 In a correct service:
    9.1.1 neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once the server and the receiver are ready for the service. On completion of the backward movement of server's racket head, any delay in the start of the service (Law 9.2), shall be considered to be an undue delay;
    Last edited by druss; 01-25-2010 at 12:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by druss View Post

9.1.1 neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once the server and the receiver are ready for the service. On completion of the backward movement of server's racket head, any delay in the start of the service (Law 9.2), shall be considered to be an undue delay;
    Thanks dude. So, I guess that the movement is supposed to be fluid (1 stroke), no matter the speed? Glad to clear this thought out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by druss View Post
    I think there is a lot of confusion because the rules do not go into a lot of detail... so keep this in mind. IF it is not considered a fault then it's legal. Don't need to ask anymore questions unless you don't actually understand what's written.

So the shuttle must be struck under the waist (lowest rib). It does not matter if you're holding it or have thrown it 5 feet up in the air first as long as you strike it under the waist.

As for the servers partner, he/she can be anywhere on the court. with the following kept in mind.

9.5 In doubles, during the delivery of service (Law 9.2, 9.3), the partners may take up any positions within their respective courts, which do not unsight the opposing server or receiver.

Excellent reply and prefect proof for those
    who will raise question to me Lol .

However i'm not a big fan of the drop the shuttle in midair and then
    waiting it to come between waistline/below ribs as they come a bit more faster to me .. like a tennis serve

But theres always a way to stop something

Very grateful for your reply and others.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast