polite or not polite

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Sum, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Sum

Sum Guest

When the shuttle drops on their side, many new and intermediate players always use their rackets
    push the shuttle to their opponent. For me, I regard this behaviour as slighty rude, because they are
    new comer. How about your opinion ?
    In double, why at the beginning of the game, the better player always stands at the position of second serve ?

2. Don

Don Regular Member

Well, it depends. If I were to pop the bird at full force intentiionally to hit the opponent in the head or body then it is rude. If I were to pop the bird lightly, that the bird only bounces off the opponent without harm then I see why not.

To answer your question concerning why a stronger player stands at econd serve position, it's simple. If the weaker player screws up the serve, the stronger player is more likely to keep the bird in play as oppose to the weaker player.

3. Erik

Erik Guest

Over the years it has become common practice to use the racket to pitch the shuttle into the service court from which the next
    service is to be delivered, or into the server's hand, but only if the shuttle lies very close to the net like after a shot that went into the net. In other cases the shuttle should be picked up and hit over the net into the service court from which the next service
    is to be delivered, or into the server's hand. This is what players do in tournaments all over the world.

I know very little about tactics, so I don't realy know why the stronger player statrs the game from the left service court, but
    I think it is because the return of service has a bigger impact on the course of a rally than the service itself.

Erik

4. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    In all the matches that i have played, i often have to send the shuttle back to my opponent after i lose the rally. I personally also feel that it may be slighty impolite to push the shuttle back at my opponent whether or not the opponent is my friend or ab opposing team member.

I would scoop the shuttle up and knock it over net back to my opponent. I will only push the shuttle push the shuttle back to my opponent if it is right under the net.

I feel that pushing the shuttle to my opponent is not as polite as sending it back to them through the air. However, i do feel that its not rude as leaving the shuttle there to let your opponent pick up themselves. This is only my opinion.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Camilla Martin is the worst offender of this rule. i was watching the 99 Sudirman Cup and couldn't stop noticing that. when the shuttle fell on the net and lands below it, she'd tip the shuttle but a foot or so into the opponent's court (no where near the service court) and let Dai Yun pick it up from there. IMHO, that's very rude. from then on, i have very little respect of her.

6. Don

Don Regular Member

May I mention that she lost that match to Dai Yun in an amazing comeback. She was probably frustrated.

7. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    On the other hand, in the US Open ('97? 98? I have the tape, but can't recall year) Camilla Martin played Dai Yun and won a close match, but she did exactly the same thing most of the time, only picking up the shuttle and hitting it back once in a while. I asked a friend who saw the entire match in person, and he said Martin behaved that way the whole time. I respect her talent, but I agree with Kwun; I cannot respect her bad manners.

BTW, Dai scooped up the shuttle and returned it properly every time that I could see on the tape.
    marshall

8. MYSRH

MYSRH Guest

It's okay for me if the shuttle from the floor is flicked to the air so I can catch it, but it's not really polite if the shuttle is just slided over to me, it's like someone is sweeping the floor and I have to pick up the rubbish.
    But why bothered? It's the game that make you win, not picking up the shuttle.