A little review, Yonex Nanology 95 and BG-65 Ti

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Term`, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Term`

Term` Regular Member

Hi guys,

Recently got two rackets restrung and just thought I'd share my experiences with you.

Both rackets are similiar in every way apart from one having an isometric shape and the other not, they are Carlton Airblade Carbon TT, and Calton Powerblade Carbon TT.

The Airblade was strung to 22lb using the Nanology 95

The Poweblade was strung to 22lb using BG-65 Ti

The Nanology needed a few games to get used to, I dont know if this is the fact I was not familiar with this string, or that it needed a "breaking in" period. But eventually it felt great, the power was good, and the sound was a good healthy boom for each hit. I also felt that the repulsion was imense, it felt like the string wanted to repell the shuttle, and overall I think my clearance and smash both improved. However control was something I had an issue with, at the net I found that I was unable to dink it over with the accuracy I used to, using my old racket (MP88 factory strings). I also found that judging the power needed to do a back court drop shot was nearly impossible. This may be due to my level of play, but I found that it either generated too much power and I had to actually hit the shuttle towards the top of the net, or if I tried stroking the shuttle or cutting it, it didn't generate any where near enough power. Despite the obvious offensive properties of these strings, I also found my defensive powers were better, from the opponents smash I was able to redirect the shuttle or counter very easily, which was great. Overall a good racket for me, I now use it for singles of for playing with plastic shuttles.

The BG-65 Ti, these strings seemed to generate a lower duller sound on impact but it wasn't an unpleasant sound, just not what I am used to. Overall the power was a lot less, I found it hard to generate a recovering rear court clearance, and I also found my smash lacked real venom. But the strong point BY FAR, was my new found accuracy with drop shots, it was wonderful to use, I could slice and cut the shuttle and it would beautifully shave the top of the net and drop over, nearly every time. A good setup and possibly gonna be my racket of choice when playing with feathers, if my newly strung MP88 fails me one night.

Well guys, there ya go, sure nothing I have said has not been covered before, and I am sure something you will not agree with, however "each to thier own", and I just wanted to share my feelings.

anyone else got any experience with the nanology strings ?

cheers guys

Term`

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The NBG95 is an pretty good string but if you can get your hands on the NBG98 then the performance will be better. As for BG65ti the string has power but not much control IMO.

3. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    hi term!

for a low string tension like 22 lbs., try using a thinner string like the bg66 (.66mm), bg85 (.67mm), bg80 (.68mm) and even the bg 68ti (.68mm) for higher repulsion.

the bg 65ti is preferrably used for high tension stringing like 26 lbs above.

cheers!

4. Term`

Term` Regular Member

ic, thanks for that, next time I will keep that in mind, I think a thinner string may be the way to go from now on then... altho I think once I learn to control with the nanology I will be quite happy with my current setup.
    I have been considering using BG-80 next time for my mp88 :)

5. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    the bg80 is a bestseller. it has better control and power compared to the bg 65ti. although i find the bg 65ti to have better holding tension than the thinner strings available. it's also a favorite among smashers/hardhitters who really play aggressively on the courts.

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

bg66 isnt very durable. mine only lasted a month at 22lbs. note that i played about 10 times only in that particular month. also note that 22lbs isn't very high.
    but what can you expect from a .66mm string compared to a .70mm like the BG-70 or from other brands such as the Ashaway Micropower.

edit:
    forgot to mention. considering my standard of play, meaning i'm not that hard of a hitter, those strings broke pretty quick.

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

bg66 seldom lasts more than 2-3 sessions for me, maybe it's because i miss the sweetspot quite often. it just doesn't agree with me, that string, and i can assure you, the feeling's mutual! :)
    bg85 and bg80 are the way to go .... or bg65 if you're particularly worried about durability.

8. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    that's true about the bg66. one thing i don't like about the bg85 is that it cannot hold tension longer. many suggest that bg80 is the way to go. i still use the bg 65ti if i wish to have 28lbs on my racket.