could use some advice

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bigb824, Oct 10, 2007.

1. bigb824

bigb824 Regular Member

school
    hi everyone

well the fall bao (bay area open) is in a month and i need to lose some weight/tone my skills, how much training a week is too much and how much is too little?

thanks =]

2. kuan84

kuan84 Regular Member

Postgrad at AU
    train until your arms drop... :D

3. dnacid

dnacid Regular Member

Student
    It really depends on how fit you are. If you are exhausted after 2 hours, then pushing yourself to 3 or 4 will harm you more than it would help you. 2-3 hours a day, 7 days a week would be my personal preference. I like to work out in smaller chuncks.

4. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    While training, be sure to drink plenty of water. Stay away from soft drinks & other high calories fluids. Even drinking too much juice is not recommended -- some is ok, but it is too easy to ingest a lot of calories if you drink a lot of juice.

Complement your on-court training with some rope jumping and other cardio exercise -- interval training is best. A bit of strength development with weights will help to boost your metabolism (basal metabolic rate)-- in order to burn more calories & lose more weight.

5. AndyL

AndyL Regular Member

NO...dont training...your skills is good enough.
    Dont want you to kick my ass on court.. J/k

As upstairs saids. Depends how fit are you. And did you stop playing for awhile and just pick up again. Or you always being active. I stopped playing badminton for two years. So I started stop to get my movement back first. Jogging a mile per week. Do more you have time. Training my timing and consistency on shots. I play like about 2 days a week 3hrs a day. Since the tournament is at Smash City. Its a good idea to know the floor and the courts at that gym. Oh ya make sure you strench before you do any exercise, dont want you to hurt yourself before tournament. Also slow down your exercise before tournament dont over do yourself.

I will see you at that tournament....:rolleyes:....

6. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Dynamic vs. Static stretching

Only dynamic stretching should be performed prior to exercise. Dynamic stretching is stretching performed with motion -- no stretch should be held, if at all, for more than a second or so. It has been found in recent years that static stretching (holding a stretch for 10-30 seconds) is actually detrimental to athletic performance.

It has also been found that static stretching, performed prior to exercise, does not prevent injuries -- in some cases, it even appears to promote the likelihood of injury. Static stretching should only be after exercise -- as part of a cool down routine.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_stretching

sport-fitness-advisor.com/DynamicStretching.html

7. AndyL

AndyL Regular Member

I totally agree with you. I am too lazy to put everything in words. Guess I am those kind guys who dont pay much attention to details. Agree, need to strench before and after the game. I am too tired to do anything after the game.

8. bigb824

bigb824 Regular Member

school
    i dislocated my knee over the summer and slowly bringing it back to full speed i do my bext to stay fit but i gained roughly 10 pounds

9. bigb824

bigb824 Regular Member

school
    and thanks for the advice everyone, go go d singles haha

10. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

You really need more than a month to really benefit from tons of practice. You will improve a bit, but you need to be careful of what you're doing. If you plan on just working out to improve your muscles, then you need to take into account recovery time. If you go into the tournament and your body hasn't recovered from all that training, then you're probably going to do much worse than you would have if you just went in without any training.

I say depending on your schedule, try to hit at least 3 or 4 times a week. You can probably work on shots and strategy, but I don't know if you're the type of person that can just soak in information and apply it like that. As long as you're doing something, you'll make a bit of improvement.