What are some badminton manners? (especially on taking drinks)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by elerosse, Oct 10, 2007.

1. elerosse

elerosse Regular Member

I play alot of tennis and in tennis it's usually the change of court that you kinda go have a sip of your water or poweraid or watever...

In badminton, there's not change of court...when does the player ask for a drink usually?

2. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    there are changes of courts. i play casual games with friends, so no one to stop me from drinking, hehe

3. elerosse

elerosse Regular Member

oh ok, I'm kinda talking in specific to tournaments actually! haha..yea I take drinks anytimes during casual games...

4. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

there are change of courts. who says there are none?

5. elerosse

elerosse Regular Member

really? when does change of court happen?

6. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    When the first set is concluded and when the score reaches 11 on a rubber set.

7. elerosse

elerosse Regular Member

oh....so...if I'm thirsty during 5-5 for example...can I just ask for a drink? or is that considered rude cos I'm disrupting the opp's rhythm?

8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    You are allowed to drink when any player reach 11 in each set, and between sets..

Apart from that there should be no breaks.

/Twobeer

9. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    You could ask, really - if the umpire allows it and the opponent is ok, then go ahead.

10. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

don't worry about being rude. worry more about sportsmanship.
    even Peter Gade, possibly the most likable singles player solely because of his sportsmanship asks for a towel down.

btw, asking for a drink is a game plan. most players do it because, as you noted, they want to disrupt their opponent's rhythm.
    IMO, if you need it, go for it. if you want it, go for it.

and don't even worry about a single thing if you are just playing socially and not in a proper tournament where there are umpires.

11. elerosse

elerosse Regular Member

sweet...ok...so..next question...

do I have to wait for the opponent to be ready before I serve the shuttle? I played this guy once and he pretends to sort the feathers on the birdie and then suddenly serve...I was told off once at a club to wait for the player to be ready...is there actually a rule or is it just a social etiquette? (spelling?)

12. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

yes, you have to wait for a player to be ready. i'm not too sure if it is actually stated in the rule book, but if you watch the professional players, a let is usually given if the receiver is not ready.

about the guy who serves when he appears to be sorting the feathers, i am also not 100% sure if that is legal. my assumption is that in a tournament, the umpire would have a word with him if his opponent voices his concerns on it.
    Candra Wijaya is a player who has almost no 'wait' time in between getting in position and serving. you really have to be ready at all times when receiving from him. he looks at you once, and i think he is already swinging his racket head forward when his eyes starts moving down to the shuttle.

13. elerosse

elerosse Regular Member

ooohh...I'm going to try that out this sunday at the tournament I'm going to and see if the umpire does anything...cos that's really tricky..heh.

14. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

takes a lot of nerve and practice though :rolleyes:
    the doubles low service is one of the hardest shots for a handful of people.

it basically goes like this:
    -pick up shuttle after last rally
    -encourage your partner
    -everyone into positions
    -you into position
    -quickly look at opponent for abt half a sec or 1 sec
    -as your eyes/head move down to the shuttle, serve

but make sure you use minimal time between getting into position and serving.
    also make sure everyone is in position and ready first before you start the sequence, otherwise your opponents will want a let.

15. elerosse

elerosse Regular Member

oh yea...for some reason, I find the low serve the easiest to do...I followed a post Gollum advised about the push method and it really works well. 95 percent of my serves land just on the line...however, not really sure about the angle...but I digress...I kinda already serve like that...I dont look at the opponent when I serve but I do before hand...
    I know all the dirty tricks you can use like tying shoelaces and dropping the shuttle or racquet or even as far as calling for toilet break...but I think that's unsportsman like...

badminton is certainly a dirty sport.
    should be called dirtyminton!

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

FYI, one way to counteract this quick serve tactic is to hold up the non-racket hand (while you're getting ready to receive serve) to indicate you're not ready. Umpires will acknowledge that and ask the server to reserve if he has already. Once your hand is down, you're fair game.

17. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

Law of Badminton. Service Rule: No 9:4

9.2 Once the players are ready for the service, the first forward movement of the server’s racket head shall be
    the start of the service.

9.3 Once started (Law 9.2), the service is delivered when the shuttle is hit by the server’s racket or, in
    attempting to serve, the server misses the shuttle.

9.4 The server shall not serve before the receiver is ready. However, the receiver shall be considered to have
    been ready if a return of the service is attempted.

14. LETS
    14.1 ‘Let’ shall be called by the umpire, or by a player (if there is no mpire), to halt play.

14.2 It shall be a ‘let”, if:

14.2.1 the server serves before the receiver is ready (Law 9.4);

#17 Temasek Green, Oct 11, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  18. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

This move is far more rude than calling for a water break. It is arguable if no umpire is present during a game, but it is certainly unsportsmanship.

Although this might not be a written rule, but it is commonly acknowledged that holding your racket up is a sign of being ready to receive the serve.

19. elerosse

elerosse Regular Member

ahhh I see...I rather not do dodgy stuff then cos I like being a sportsman. I rather beat the opponent with my skills then with dirty tricks. Cool..thanks, hope I go well this sunday!!

20. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

but you have to understand that playing psychological games on your opponent is an "acceptable" strategy. professionals do it all the time.