Replacing original grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Tran, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Tran

Tran Guest

Guys, I'd need your advice. My ideal grip size is G4 plus a thin layer of overgrip. But my new favorite racquet has a G3 grip ... well, most Canadian racquets come with only G3. I can still tolerate G3, but that's it, no overgrip whatsoever.

I'm using the racquet with no overgrip and it's ok. I'm thinking ... if the original grip wears out later, I'd have to remove it and replace it with

* either a replacement grip (about 1.5 mm thick)
    * or 2 layers of overgrip (one layer would not give enough cushioning. Someone just mentioned this and I'd agree with him).

Do you think either way should be ok? Would it keep the grip size at G3 (or smaller) with confortable cushioning?

I'd really want to know your own experience about replacing original grips. Thanks!

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Well can you name the model of your racket? It's possible in Canada, that there is a G4 grip for that model and you could possibly trade that in.

I would always protect the original grip because it has the best contour that you can feel. Taking that off would be no good. I also have a G3 Cab22 (overgripped) which I don't quite like but I can still handle it. I go prefer to go with G4.5/4 rackets overgripped instead. Also since you're playing with G3, your hand is getting more shock so an overgrip will abosorb shock so you can put more energy into the racket during the birds inpact.

3. logi

logi Guest

i use a g3 grip with a yonex grap and it's fine for me. i think g4 plus an overgrip is too small and i can't rotate the racket in my hand to do backhands and stuff..

also on my boron 200 which is a g2 i remove factory grip and placed 2 over grip and it it fine.

4. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Depends.. You must have big hands since you consider G4 small. I think the Yonex grap is a bit thin since I used to use it but if you use Black Knight grip (without the ribs), it may suit you better on the G4 or 3 because it's a bit thicker.

5. logi

logi Guest

yes i do have larger than average hands i'd say
    not too much much a black knight grip, a small one is a bit too small for me

6. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Well I gotta add that the Black Knight grip last longer than the Yonex grip. One time the Yonex grip ripped my skin off because it was wearing off quickly. That was the last I used one. It has a different texture but you can really grip it extra hard when your hands get a bit moist which I like.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have G5, G4 and G3 racquets,,all with original grip taken off.

For the G4 grip, I wrap a thin grip around it which almost(but not quite) overlaps completely on itself so that 3/4 of the handle is double layer. Then I have my regular thin grip over that grip.

For the G3 grip, I still wrap the thin grip but it doesn;t overlap so there's only a single layer. Then my regular thin grip is over the top.
    Yes, the G3 grip does feel firmer.
    No, i have not noticed better or worse shock absorption or difference in power transmission to the shuttle.