User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wang Wen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What type of player do you guys think Wang Wen is? Defensive or Offensive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if Wang Wen won the tournament or not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone here get coached by Wang Wen? :O

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm coached by him and its easy to say he's an offensive player. He focuses on body rotation to put power into shots. His footwork drills are also quite useful in singles. The one time i've seen him play seriously it was absolutely amazing and he doesn't play with plastic shuttles, he uses feather when we practice smashing. Also Dan Kai is quite talented, he beat Hao Li in the Royal Glenora mens singles club championship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dan kai is quite talented must be the biggest understatement ive heard since "taufik hidayat is quite talented"
    at least for canadian players

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how old is she now>?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    how old is she now>?
    How old is who?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elixau View Post
    How old is who?
    sorry, shud be how old is he now??
    wang wen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abhorsen View Post
    I'm coached by him and its easy to say he's an offensive player. He focuses on body rotation to put power into shots. His footwork drills are also quite useful in singles. The one time i've seen him play seriously it was absolutely amazing and he doesn't play with plastic shuttles, he uses feather when we practice smashing. Also Dan Kai is quite talented, he beat Hao Li in the Royal Glenora mens singles club championship.
    What footwork drills does he use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He mainly gets us to practice the movements on a court and hit the bird like in a normal drill but sometimes he gets us to jump on the spot doing variations of where we place each foot such as right in front left in back then reverse. I'm not sure about how to explain them but suffice to say they involve a lot of jumping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abhorsen, do you know how old Wang Wen is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elixau View Post
    Abhorsen, do you know how old Wang Wen is?
    I haven't the faintest idea, besides you could probably judge yourself as you've already met and trained under him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know how good he is technically, I assume he is probably good. I have seen him at tournaments, he is very hard on the kids when they lose. As a result, a lot of his kids cheat! My children have experienced it first hand. Personally, I think kids participate in the sport to learn sportsmanship and to build character not to learn to cheat. Too much emphasis on winning is very damaging to the junior players.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stationb View Post
    Don't know how good he is technically, I assume he is probably good. I have seen him at tournaments, he is very hard on the kids when they lose. As a result, a lot of his kids cheat! My children have experienced it first hand. Personally, I think kids participate in the sport to learn sportsmanship and to build character not to learn to cheat. Too much emphasis on winning is very damaging to the junior players.

First, I do not know anyone in your region. So, I am not on either side.

However, judge from the fact you provided, I think it's a bit unfair for Wang Wen, unless your guys caught him on the spot to teach his students "win at all cost". Being a strict teacher and being competitive is nothing wrong, and it's not directly on conflict with "sportsmanship".

I assume the badminton coach only have minor influence on a kid, when compare to the kids' parents, regular school teacher, and even many other family friends. How many hours the coach being with the kid? I assume no more than 5-10 hrs per week? That's no even comparable to the parent and school teach for a day. Therefore, why single handed blame the coach for the kid's cheating action? How you know the kid doing so, not because say, they have the "hockey dad" kinda parent?

When I face a player (junior or adult) who's cheating in a game, I do not think I will blame his whole family, his entire team, his coach, his club manager, his gf, etc. If a person is old enough to enter an open tournament, s/he should be the one taking full (or at least majority) responsibility for his/her own action. The ppl around him/her should be only considered as minor role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is the most bogus thing I have ever heard. I trained with Wang from when I was 8 until I was 19, and even now occasionally take lessons from him at 26. NEVER have I been lead to believe that cheating was in any way an acceptable way to behave. It is easy for you to come on a forum like this where you are completely anonymous and slander his character, how about telling people who you are so you can be held accountable?

I can't articulate how angry I am at your completely ignorant comment towards someone who has shaped the characters of countless kids over the years, and the Glenora does not have a reputation for producing cheaters simply because your child had an experience where they thought they were being cheated.

As for Wang's technically abilities as a player and a coach, grade A, top notch. He was on the Chinese national team but didn't get a chance to play internationally for them after juniors so he moved to Canada for more opportunity and an education. He won junior nationals in China as well. Not to mention he has immense character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I apologize if my post regarding Mr. W. came across the wrong way. I was in no way implying that he tells his kids to cheat! I was referring to the fact that sometimes kids on the junior circuit experience too much pressure and some of them will resort to cheating. This happens with kids from all different clubs, not just one or two in particular. I totally agree with LazyBuddy and his take on the issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I apologize if my post regarding Mr. W. came across the wrong way. I was in no way implying that he tells his kids to cheat! I was referring to the fact that sometimes kids on the junior circuit experience too much pressure and some of them will resort to cheating. This happens with kids from all different clubs, not just one or two in particular. I totally agree with LazyBuddy and his take on the issue.
    if kids don't learn about pressure at tournaments, when and where do they learn it from? Remember, WW get pressure from parents for their kids not performing. If the club and parents don't care, everybody can be a coach.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast