User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 69 to 83 of 83

Thread: Wang Wen

  1. #69
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    alberta
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Everyone knows that as we all face pressure as we grow older. Having played sports competitively for so many years one of the biggest lessons that I have learned from playing sports is learning how to deal with pressure and over coming challenges that you face on the court. Learning how to deal with pressure and challenges was not only beneficial in competing in sports but the greatest benefit was taking these leassons and applying it to life especially for my career ( which has now allowed me to live very comfortably ). As we all know, very very few people will become a professional sports player who earns millions of dollars so as parents we need to encourage our kids that to win or to become good in sports they must learn to adapt to pressure, learn from challenges and change to meet these challenges, but most of all they must learn to do this with integrity, humility and respect. The total goal of sports as I feel is to learn life lessons that will apply to your future. If my children learn this from playing sports and apply it to their future goals and career then I feel my children will have gained more than just medals but life lessons as well. The sad thing is sometimes parents, players and coaches lose sight of this and the people who pay the price for this the most is the kids. Sports and education must go hand in hand to ensure that our children's future is our ultimate focus.

  2. #70
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stationb View Post
    Everyone knows that as we all face pressure as we grow older. Having played sports competitively for so many years one of the biggest lessons that I have learned from playing sports is learning how to deal with pressure and over coming challenges that you face on the court. Learning how to deal with pressure and challenges was not only beneficial in competing in sports but the greatest benefit was taking these leassons and applying it to life especially for my career ( which has now allowed me to live very comfortably ). As we all know, very very few people will become a professional sports player who earns millions of dollars so as parents we need to encourage our kids that to win or to become good in sports they must learn to adapt to pressure, learn from challenges and change to meet these challenges, but most of all they must learn to do this with integrity, humility and respect. The total goal of sports as I feel is to learn life lessons that will apply to your future. If my children learn this from playing sports and apply it to their future goals and career then I feel my children will have gained more than just medals but life lessons as well. The sad thing is sometimes parents, players and coaches lose sight of this and the people who pay the price for this the most is the kids. Sports and education must go hand in hand to ensure that our children's future is our ultimate focus.
    those are great values and principles to go by but how many parents practise them? It is your (parents) job to instill value to YOUR kids. Too many parents want their coach/teacher to do their work. Just look at hockey, where kids, coaches and game officials get abused from the parents. Most coaches respond to what the parents wanted. I know royal glenora is a reputable club, i doubt WW would resort to immoral tactic and value even if he is under pressure from parents. If he is bad with kids, WW would be long gone i tell u.

    http://www.naso.org/sportsmanship/badsports.html

  3. #71
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    alberta
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    those are great values and principles to go by but how many parents practise them? It is your (parents) job to instill value to YOUR kids. Too many parents want their coach/teacher to do their work. Just look at hockey, where kids, coaches and game officials get abused from the parents. Most coaches respond to what the parents wanted. I know royal glenora is a reputable club, i doubt WW would resort to immoral tactic and value even if he is under pressure from parents. If he is bad with kids, WW would be long gone i tell u.

    http://www.naso.org/sportsmanship/badsports.html
    I agree with parents being involved but part of the picture that many of us fail to see is that coaches spend a lot of time with our kids just like their teachers in school. We would be foolish to believe that the coaches and teachers do not influence our children, the truth is that our children are influenced by all the people around them. It is true that you say that many parents want their coaches and teachers to do all the work for the parents but then you wonder why these parents think this way. Could it be social up bringing, unrealistic expectations, perfectionism, or lack of support from others around (extended family members and friends).Good coaches will always do what is best for the children because coaches are suppose to teach skills and sportmanship and should these coaches ever lose these values because parents pressure them then the coach should really evaluate himself or herself. As for why someone stays, I am not to judge this because I am not in that person's shoes nor do I know what expectations are laid out by those around him. I am not here to put anyone down but you can see in the news where amateur sports are becoming more confrontational and more and more parents are worried if putting children into sports is a right decision. Let's all hope that parents, coaches and children all get back to the basics of what amateur sports is all about and that is having fun and learning life lessons.

  4. #72
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Edmonton AB, Canada
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    funny, i am a junior player playing under wang's coaching in his elite A group and i find everyone is honest to the point of "i saw the shuttle land just out but they werent sure so they'll give the point to me".
    judging by the fact that you revived a semi old thread, are you talking about a recent experience at the derrick junior tournament last weekend? or at the glenora junior tournament the same weekend?

  5. #73
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stationb View Post
    I agree with parents being involved but part of the picture that many of us fail to see is that coaches spend a lot of time with our kids just like their teachers in school. We would be foolish to believe that the coaches and teachers do not influence our children, the truth is that our children are influenced by all the people around them. It is true that you say that many parents want their coaches and teachers to do all the work for the parents but then you wonder why these parents think this way. Could it be social up bringing, unrealistic expectations, perfectionism, or lack of support from others around (extended family members and friends).Good coaches will always do what is best for the children because coaches are suppose to teach skills and sportmanship and should these coaches ever lose these values because parents pressure them then the coach should really evaluate himself or herself. As for why someone stays, I am not to judge this because I am not in that person's shoes nor do I know what expectations are laid out by those around him. I am not here to put anyone down but you can see in the news where amateur sports are becoming more confrontational and more and more parents are worried if putting children into sports is a right decision. Let's all hope that parents, coaches and children all get back to the basics of what amateur sports is all about and that is having fun and learning life lessons.
    u r asking too much in today's society. Those old values are great but today's coach has to look after many many students, he/she can't give special attention to everyone of them, he'll be exhausted. Sure u will hear a few good stories in the news but those are exception and not the norm. Unless u ask and pay your dues to WW to be your son/daughter lifetime sifu, no coach would go beyond than lessons as per class program. The ultimate responsibility falls on parents hand, make no bones about it. U asked why so many today parents are delegating their parenting job? it's called shedding one's responsibility and accountibility. Damn they paid their taxes and it is the gov't to fix things, I paid for the lesson and i want my kid to be a perfect sportman. This topic is very important but it goes much much deeper than most people can comprehend on top of their daily rut. Can people comprehend the thought of one world governement or would they rather worry about what to wear on the outing tonight? It's good u ask these questions but the best person to teach one's kids are their parents. The is my final answer.
    Last edited by cooler; 03-02-2009 at 07:13 PM.

  6. #74
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stationb View Post
    I apologize if my post regarding Mr. W. came across the wrong way. I was in no way implying that he tells his kids to cheat! I was referring to the fact that sometimes kids on the junior circuit experience too much pressure and some of them will resort to cheating. This happens with kids from all different clubs, not just one or two in particular. I totally agree with LazyBuddy and his take on the issue.
    What a back-track this was. You were implying that Wang Wen's pupils cheated and that you have experienced it first hand. Just admit that you have absolutely no clue what youa re talking about!

  7. #75
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stationb View Post
    Don't know how good he is technically, I assume he is probably good. I have seen him at tournaments, he is very hard on the kids when they lose. As a result, a lot of his kids cheat! My children have experienced it first hand. Personally, I think kids participate in the sport to learn sportsmanship and to build character not to learn to cheat. Too much emphasis on winning is very damaging to the junior players.
    Quote Originally Posted by stationb View Post
    I apologize if my post regarding Mr. W. came across the wrong way. I was in no way implying that he tells his kids to cheat!
    Please re-read your previous post, you clearly pointed out "learn to cheat". I just can not see why you say, "no way implying"...

    Anyway, today's society is all about "pointing finger":

    Kids fail in school - teacher's fault
    racket broke - stringer's fault
    get into an accident - the other driver's fault
    lost a match - opponent's fault...

    Well, if everyone is really "that perfect" (because it's always others are bad), then I wonder how come we do not have a perfect world yet...

  8. #76
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree with you, there is a lot of pressure coach under Wang. Although I haven't seen Coach Wang's students cheated but I believe it's possible. There was one incident happened in Royal Glenora Junior 2008, the first U12 mixed doubles match of Wang's son was supposed to play against a stronger team from the same club, Wang didn't want his son lost in first round, so he changed the draw, moved the stronger team away from his son's team. This was a 100% true, my friend's kid was playing the same tourney, he still has the original draw set up by Badminton Alberta and the draw that manipulated by Wang. I guess it was the tourney held in his club, he thought he has the powder to change it according to his will.

  9. #77
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YY8300 View Post
    I agree with you, there is a lot of pressure coach under Wang. Although I haven't seen Coach Wang's students cheated but I believe it's possible. There was one incident happened in Royal Glenora Junior 2008, the first U12 mixed doubles match of Wang's son was supposed to play against a stronger team from the same club, Wang didn't want his son lost in first round, so he changed the draw, moved the stronger team away from his son's team. This was a 100% true, my friend's kid was playing the same tourney, he still has the original draw set up by Badminton Alberta and the draw that manipulated by Wang. I guess it was the tourney held in his club, he thought he has the powder to change it according to his will.
    The fact that a draw was changed from the original does not prove your point. You have no idea what the circumstances behind this situation were, and you do not provide proof. You're bashing someone on a forum that you do not know and obviously have nothing but speculation and rumour to go off of.

    I've known Wang for almost 20 years. He was my coach. So of course my perspective is biased in his favour. However, I think it is completely immature and disrespectful to engage in this kind of talk without providing facts and without real insight into the situation.

    The attitude that Wang instilled in us when I was playing was that you can never avoid the better players. If you want to win, and you want that win to be considered legitimate you have to beat all of the best players. Dodging a better player would not help his son and I don't see him doing that anyway.

    One thing I can say is that this sort of behaviour (bad mouthing coaches, other players) is something that has gone on for a long time in badminton, and I have no doubt it is very much present in other sports as well. What always irritates me is seeing the parents engaging in it, and therefore teaching their kids these terrible habits. Show some character.

    My name is Emmet Gibney, private message me on here and I'd be happy to get in touch with you via phone, email or whatever method you prefer and we can discuss this like adults.

    By the way, in tournaments there are often rules in place when making a draw where players from the same club, or sometimes same province (depends on the tournament jurisdiction) are NOT supposed to play each other first round, or sometimes even be on the same side of the draw. Understand the sport before you chime in.

  10. #78
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sp...DC97C2C&draw=3

    Here is the draw, Wang switched team #8 and #11, if he didn't do that, his son would have lost to the event winners in the first round and wouldn't got into final.
    I know there are some rules in badminton draw, but the draw set up by badminton Alberta usually check that already. You should know it's hard to avoid the players from the same club to play in the first round, there are less and less players nowadays, and there are only 4 clubs in alberta. If you want to know why he changed it, you better ask Wang and let me know.

  11. #79
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YY8300 View Post
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sp...DC97C2C&draw=3

    Here is the draw, Wang switched team #8 and #11, if he didn't do that, his son would have lost to the event winners in the first round and wouldn't got into final.
    I know there are some rules in badminton draw, but the draw set up by badminton Alberta usually check that already. You should know it's hard to avoid the players from the same club to play in the first round, there are less and less players nowadays, and there are only 4 clubs in alberta. If you want to know why he changed it, you better ask Wang and let me know.
    Ty Lindeman is from the same club, same city, and is doubles partners with Wang's son. Generally you do not schedule players against someone from their own club in the first round. I can assure you that Jeff Bell the head of Badminton Alberta would have been consulted before the draw was changed. All draws HAVE to be approved by Badminton Alberta if the event is sanctioned by Badminton Alberta.

  12. #80
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Edmonton AB, Canada
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There are more than 4 clubs in alberta (edison, red willow, etc in addition to the 4 big ones), and I think it's understandable that he could ask for a switch. Plus, it is not know whether the draw by Badminton alberta had made an honest mistake in pairing 2 glenora teams against each other in the same round. Normally if it is possible for no team kills in the opening round then the draw is set up such that there is none.

    And as emmet said, this is not an issue to take up with Wang but to take up with Jeff Bell

  13. #81
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egibney View Post
    Ty Lindeman is from the same club, same city, and is doubles partners with Wang's son. Generally you do not schedule players against someone from their own club in the first round. I can assure you that Jeff Bell the head of Badminton Alberta would have been consulted before the draw was changed. All draws HAVE to be approved by Badminton Alberta if the event is sanctioned by Badminton Alberta.
    I guess Emmet hasn't been the club for a fews year. He probably didn't know at that time, Ty lindeman was represent Red Willow from St. Albert. He and Desmond were from different clubs, and Desmond's partner was also from different club. This further support my point the Wang will try anything to asked good players to joind his club, to be partner with his son and daughter. The only reason is to win more tournaments, to built up his reputation.In the process of taking players from another club, it caused so much damage to others,not to mention to the coaches of other club.

    It's a joke if you think Wang would consulted Jef Bell before, the first draw was out on Wednesday and Wang changed it on Saturday just before the mixed doubles started. Jeff Bell wasn't at the tournament, only some Glenoral teenagers helping at the draw desk.Do you think someone would able to contact Jeff Bell on Saturday? If you know how draw was made, all the conditions were pre set on the tournament program, usually doubles partners don't play each other in the first round Singles, but it possible to play each other in first round mixed doubles, so in this case, there was no honest mistake.

    I don't want to ruin this coach Wang's reputation, it's the fact and my own opinion.

  14. #82
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    St. Albert
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How sad that we are arguing about a u12 tournament 3 years after the fact. To set the record straight Ty had trained at the Glenora for 2 years at that point. How much stronger than Desmond he was at the time is debatable. The draw was changed to put the 2 strongest teams on opposite sides of the draw and the 21-19 & 21-17 final shows very closely matched teams. Ty was/is a member of both the Red Willow and Royal Glenora clubs. I personally saw both Jeffs at the tournament in question. Hmm what else? Yes, I've never seen Wang act with anything less than integrity, kindness, and good sportsmanship.

  15. #83
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Very interesting argument, thanks to bigjohnl, someone was there at the tournament came up and proved that the draw was modified because Wang didn't want his son lost to Ty until it happened in the final.The draw can be changed whatever they want. There is no need to make the draw according to seedings, just changed it until the tournament started. I felt so bad to other players at that draw. No wonder there are less kids playing tournament now, it's could be so corrupt.








    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnl View Post
    How sad that we are arguing about a u12 tournament 3 years after the fact. To set the record straight Ty had trained at the Glenora for 2 years at that point. How much stronger than Desmond he was at the time is debatable. The draw was changed to put the 2 strongest teams on opposite sides of the draw and the 21-19 & 21-17 final shows very closely matched teams. Ty was/is a member of both the Red Willow and Royal Glenora clubs. I personally saw both Jeffs at the tournament in question. Hmm what else? Yes, I've never seen Wang act with anything less than integrity, kindness, and good sportsmanship.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Similar Threads

  1. choose Wang lin or Wang Yihan
    By orangejuice in forum China Professional Players
    Replies: 92
    : 09-06-2011, 10:37 AM
  2. 2010 in review: Wang this, Wang that!!
    By cobalt in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 0
    : 01-07-2011, 08:01 PM
  3. The Wang Era
    By Oldhand in forum China Professional Players
    Replies: 56
    : 09-10-2010, 11:12 PM
  4. wang rong
    By boone7 in forum China Professional Players
    Replies: 2
    : 10-18-2009, 05:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •