Am I training too much?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ladyabsinthe, Oct 14, 2007.

1. ladyabsinthe

ladyabsinthe Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys,

Well, at the moment I'm training tuesdays and thursdays out of school, then thursdays and fridays in school, and lastly just friendly games on a sunday.

At the moment I'm feeling I'm playing not as good as I used to! I don't know if this would be down to any other factors such as feeling sleepy, or because of the volume of work im getting at the moment but would missing, for example, a sunday session once every month or so get me back on track and keep me playing at the standard I was playing at before?

Thanks, would really appreciate some guidance ;)

Rach xx

2. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

If you feel sleepy during the day, that is a definite sign of sleep deprivation.
    You need rest to perform better in ANY kind of activity, be it sport or work or school.
    Get a full night sleep (usually 8 hours), the sleep must be refreshing when you wake up.
    Cut down on your badminton sessions (yes I know it sucks) and you will see improvement.
    The idea is for your body to recuperate fully between sessions. For some, it only takes 24 hours, for others, it may take 3 days.

3. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    you are absolutely correct. some nutritionists even advise to take multivitamins in order to supplement our diet especially during intense, hard games.:)

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Chances are you're feeling a little jaded. Looking at your age profile, I'd say you're not getting enough sleep required by your body to both heal and grow. It's often hinted that your mental and psychological ailments are personified by the condition of your physical body.

Do you do anything else apart from badminton? It's important to have some kind of balance and variety in life - kwun goes cycling, I like philosophy, others play music, while some indulge in arts.

#4 wilfredlgf, Oct 14, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  5. ladyabsinthe

ladyabsinthe Regular Member

Student
    yeah, I do a lot of drama and i also play the piano, so I do have quite a varied range of activities ;)

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

It's good that you're asking these questions! Often people will train too much, wonder why their performance is decreasing, then attempt to fix it by training even more!

What you might want to is rate the "intensity" of each practice session. Intensity is raised when you perform many explosive actions, play while physically fatigued, playing in an emotional situation, etc.

Realistically, people can only handle 1-3 high intensity sessions a week. Just because someone goes from 2 training sessions to 4 training sessions a week, doesn't mean that they're capable of handling twice as much high quality work.

So, a couple of options exist. One would be to "Wave" your intensity e.g. high intensity one session, followed by a low intensity session the next time. Another would be to spread out the intensity, so that each session is medium intensity.

The first option has the advantage of allowing you to test the limits of your abilities. The second option doesn't improve your intensity, but you can use it to get a high volume of work in to improve your consistency.

7. Green72(CAN)

Green72(CAN) Regular Member

So how do the pros manage?

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

they're used to it, they rest enough, eat well, get enough support.

They also take some 'slow days' , where they are training, but just strokes/technique, not much cardio...

As for overtraining, it might as well be a mental thing...if you miss a training, do you feel reliefed? or bummed that you can't be on court?

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Remember, the pros don't have to work :D outside of training.

10. jerby

jerby Regular Member

indeed, all they do when they're not training is eating and sleeping;):D

11. stumblingfeet

Professional athletes (in general, not just badminton):

A) Have built up a high work capacity.
    B) Use preplanned variations in training volume (e.g. undulating periodization, wave loading)
    C) Occasionally take 1-2 weeks completely off between intense training blocks
    D) Spend more time taking care of recovery than training

Point D is particularly interesting. Athletes need to eat a lot, sleep a lot, and rest a lot when they're not training. They also get massages, perform "feeder" workouts, etc.

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Point D is absolutely critical for the pros. Too bad the Karma system is deactivated or you will get a Karma point :D.

13. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    You have to listen to ur body, if ur tired during the day, then ur either not getting enough sleep or too much or your diet is rubbish. Make sure you eat a good breakfast & proper food at meal times with plenty of fruit & veg, also take a multivitamin. U can get a good 1 in Holland & Barratt.
    U train a lot but not the most i have ever seen. For example, i train Monday, tuesday & wednesday, sometimes thursday, busy doing other stuff every other day & i jog & work too except sunday, keep that free to rest. U need atleast 1 day of doing nothing.

Do u find ur training hard after ur done? Most of my workouts (badminton) i come out feeling a bit tired but a good tired, not too much. If u come out feeling absolutely exhausted each time, then u r working too hard.

Just remember to eat good, sleep well & play hard & easy sometimes. Hope this helps. :D

(PS sometimes its good to play easily & light for 3 or 4 training sessions every so often just so u don't get knackered in the long run?)

14. sala_ryan

sala_ryan New Member

Student
    nope...
    your not...

you just need sleep
    and more workouts..
    not just badminton all the time..

15. enk39

enk39 Regular Member

this maay be a little off topic. Bt I had an injury last year and was out of action for nearly 2 months. on my 2nd session bak, i felt as though i was playing better than before my injury, pulling shots better than i used to...i think some concepts had time to sink into my brain during my break and my friends commented on an improvement too, same thing happened during school holidays where i havnt had much badminton....may jst be a mental thing but mayb u need to take a quick break from badminton...say a week if u can wait that long :p

16. stumblingfeet

Think about it this way: the body has several different systems that need to recover before it can go at 100% again. The metabolic system recovers quickly, in only 1-2 days. The muscular system in about 2-3 days. For most people, these are the only two systems that are monitored, e.g. when they're not sore anymore, they go play.

However, the nervous system and the endocrine system might recover more slowly, for example 1-2 weeks. How often do you see someone simply take 1 week off from playing? Not that often. If such a person is really training hard, any plateauing of improvement might simply be because the nervous system is shot. The solution would be to take a day off, but ironically what will happen most of the time is that person will try to train even more or harder.

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    In Malaysia, state players trains about 5 days a week. I guess its more of a case of juggling your schedules. Put our a time table and make sure that you have playing time, study time, social time and sleeping time. These should help you to concentrate better and be more rounded. Every single stroke needs to be finetuned. Focus on getting it to perfection and your game will be better. Quality time is important. Hope this helps.

18. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Hmm I am training at the gym monday and tuesdays, playing badminton wednesday, gym again thursday, badminton again friday, maybe gym or badminton saturday and then badminton training sunday....

Feeling OKAY atm

19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    thats a lot of gym and badminton. Alternate days would be good. keeps the rythm going. focus on repetition would be better to avoid injury. Its more of fine tuning again. Just look at your favourite player (similar style to yours) and enhance on the strokes, movement, placing and contact points.

20. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    That's what really counts :)
    If you're OK, then your schedule is fine for you