User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Regular Member george@chongwei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    29,957
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Jakarta Host To 2008 Thomas & Uber Cups Finals

    Indonesia has officially declared itself host to the finals of the Thomas and Uber Cup competition to be held in the capital city of Jakarta from 11th -18th May 2008.

    At a brief ceremony on the morning of 5th October 2007 at his office in Jakarta, the president of the Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI), Dr. Sutiyoso initialed the contract documents in the presence of the executive deputy president of Badminton World Federation, Datuk Punch Gunalan. Also present at the signing ceremony were the deputy president of PBSI, Sulistiyanto, its secretary-general, Siregar and officials from the Indonesian BA.

    This will be the eighth time that Indonesia would play host to the prestigious Thomas and Uber Cups - men and ladies team championship - since their inception in 1948 and 1956 respectively. Their previous host-years were 1961, ’67, ’73, ’79, ’86, ’94 & 2004.

    In Thomas Cup competition, Indonesia has been the most successful nation, winning the coveted trophy an unprecedented 12 times! Their success came in the wake of their first win in 1960 over Malaysia. This was followed in ’63, ’66, ’72, ’75, ’79, ’81, ’84, ’96, ’98, 2000 & 2002. The only other nations to have been successful were Malaysia and China.

    In the Uber Cup series, Indonesia won the trophy three times – in 1974, ’94 & ’96. The United States, Japan and China were the other countries which won the trophy in its 50 years history.
    Last edited by george@chongwei; 10-06-2007 at 07:48 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beijing,Guilin,K.L & Jakarta
    Posts
    3,988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hmmm...china,china,china=boring,boring,boring...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lightbulb

    Can SIN make it to JakartaWith Kendrick and Susilo, nah Derek and Ashton, SIN should look into the future

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    SIN should just host 2012 TC/UC, this way both men and women qualify automatically, no worries fansThat would have been the first time in its history, SIN mens team qualify. Afterall, SIN is a good host for Badminton tournament
    Last but not least, SIN has yet to get to the SC Division one(Premier league)Lost narrowly to Team Japan led by Park Joo Bong

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Competition
    Posts
    18,289
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    In Thomas Cup competition, Indonesia has been the most successful nation, winning the coveted trophy an unprecedented 12 times! Their success came in the wake of their first win in 1960 over Malaysia. This was followed in 63, 66, 72, 75, 79, 81, 84, 96, 98, 2000 & 2002. The only other nations to have been successful were Malaysia and China.
    This info is inaccurate.

    Indonesia first wrested the title in 1958 (made Malaysia - then called Malaya cry for weeks), followed by '61 and '64. In 1967, Malaysia took the trophy back under controversial circumstances when the title fight in Jakarta was stopped by the tournament referee due to crowd disturbance. Malaysia was leading 4-3, and the 8th tie was going into rubber. The tie was to be continued at a neutral venue, but Indonesia disagreed.

    Then, with the legendary Rudy Hartono's power, the trophy came back to Indonesia in '70, '73, '76 and '79. China rejoined IBF in 1980 and came back to challenge the next Thomas Cup edition in 1982. In the battle at the Royal Albert Hall in London (I was there), China came back from the dead to beat Indonesia 5-4 after trailing behind 1-3 on the first night. I can never understand how the former All-England champs Kartono/Heryanto lost the decisive tie's rubber game 15-1, against Sun Zhian/Yao Ximing.

    Indonesia retook the title in 1984, then in '94, '96, '98, 2000 (again, I was there at Putra Stadium) and 2002.

    So actually, they have won this 13 times.

  6. #6
    Regular Member huangkwokhau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    18,446
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Susanto View Post
    Can SIN make it to JakartaWith Kendrick and Susilo, nah Derek and Ashton, SIN should look into the future
    Ronald will start training in FEb, according to his coach.so I assume that he wont play in qualifying yet...........

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    xcitement for thomas cup yah everyone

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    M'sia
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    anyone knows da website of badminton association of Indonesia?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jkt-Indo
    Posts
    8,826
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jez ng View Post
    anyone knows da website of badminton association of Indonesia?
    The website of PBSI is www.pb-pbsi.net but its content is so outdated. If u want to read compilation news around INA badminton from various sources maybe u can try this one -- www.bulutangkis.com

    Those webs use Bahasa Indonesia, no bilingual version.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    China
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abedeng View Post
    This info is inaccurate.

    Indonesia first wrested the title in 1958 (made Malaysia - then called Malaya cry for weeks), followed by '61 and '64. In 1967, Malaysia took the trophy back under controversial circumstances when the title fight in Jakarta was stopped by the tournament referee due to crowd disturbance. Malaysia was leading 4-3, and the 8th tie was going into rubber. The tie was to be continued at a neutral venue, but Indonesia disagreed.

    Then, with the legendary Rudy Hartono's power, the trophy came back to Indonesia in '70, '73, '76 and '79. China rejoined IBF in 1980 and came back to challenge the next Thomas Cup edition in 1982. In the battle at the Royal Albert Hall in London (I was there), China came back from the dead to beat Indonesia 5-4 after trailing behind 1-3 on the first night. I can never understand how the former All-England champs Kartono/Heryanto lost the decisive tie's rubber game 15-1, against Sun Zhian/Yao Ximing.

    Indonesia retook the title in 1984, then in '94, '96, '98, 2000 (again, I was there at Putra Stadium) and 2002.

    So actually, they have won this 13 times.
    if we start to count from 1982, it was equal between Ina & CHN. both have won 6 times.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    M'sia
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    CLELY, thx for ur info ya..

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    : 04-23-2010, 06:55 AM
  2. Thomas & Uber Cups Preliminaries Asia Zone 2008: Day 5 SF (22 Feb)
    By bidapower in forum Thomas / Uber Cup Prelim 2008
    Replies: 524
    : 02-24-2008, 03:07 AM
  3. The Cast: Thomas & Uber Cups Finals
    By Loh in forum Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006
    Replies: 4
    : 04-06-2006, 10:12 PM
  4. Thomas & Uber Cups Finals from 1949-2004
    By cxytdn in forum Thomas/Uber Cups 2004
    Replies: 0
    : 05-18-2004, 11:11 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    : 05-13-2004, 11:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •