Problem with clears & choice of racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Upquark, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Upquark

Upquark Regular Member

Java developer
    Hi all,

I plan to buy a new racket one of these days. I've played with the same ProKennex racket for 4 years now, so I guess I'm allowed to do so :).

The problem I have: I've had a surgery in my lower back 2 years ago. I have sort of fully recovered from that, but a part of my lower back is still very stiff. Playing badminton still feels great, but I've got problems clearing the shuttle, especially round the head clearing. Logically, it's because of my back being a bit stiff, thus not being able to make a full 'swing'.

Now - you've guessed it - I'm looking for a racket to sort of compensate it :). What I really don't know is: should I be looking for a stiff or flexible racket? Head heavy or balanced?

I know, so many players, so many types of rackets, but I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction, keeping in mind my lower back problems.

Thanks very much!

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

A restricted swing would point me towards a stiff racket - flexible rackets need larger swings to generate their power, while stiffer ones require a short, explosive action with little back-swing.

On the other hand, a flexible racket is more forgiving when your technique isn't perfect; a stiff one demands flawless form every time or you will lose power and accuracy. Given the situation with your back, this might come into play as well.

If it's deeper clears you're after, though, head-heavy is almost certainly the better way to go - they require much less effort if whatever swing you have is powerful. I would look at the AT500 through to the AT900P, as they are all head-heavy and have shafts of varying flexibility.

3. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    That is a tough question. If I were you, I would not be too concern about the shaft stiffness. Not sure what the spec of your old Pro Kennex and tension. But for easier overhead clears, especially you are having a stiff back, a balance racket plus moderate tension (say 22-23lb) would be a good starter. Probably with your injured back, the choice of racket is down to those that you should avoid rather than which one is better. Maybe some other people can tell you more about which type of rackets can compensate your lack of power from your limited swing angles. Personally, I would go for light and head heavy racket.

4. Upquark

Upquark Regular Member

Java developer
    Thanks so far.

Mark A: Indeed, it puzzles me too whether it's shaft stiffness or flexibility I need. Both could be applied to me in some way. I guess I should just try some rackets, but there's no shop in my neighbourhood that I know of that would allow me to. :(

colekwok: No clue about my current racket, the ProKennex website doesn't even mention badminton rackets, I guess they've left the business or something. Anyway, the racket type is 'Tri-Flex 600', with a special 'Flex zone'... should be a flexible shaft I guess (hard to compare if you don't have anything to compare it to).
    Btw, with light, do you mean 3U or 4U?

At this moment, the AT500 seems nice, and it's not too expensive either. Any other suggestions?

5. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Oh yes, forgot to mention about the lightness. Yes, probably 3U is the best for you, 4U seems to be a bit too light to generate power. Your old ProKennex would probably be a 2U graded one. In fact, 3U rackets seems to be the most common weight nowadays. Anyway, you will find that most head heavy 3U or even 4U rackets acutally feel 'heavier' than some old 2U models.

About the stiffness issue, in my opinion, does not affect much. In the old days when the carbon fibre technology was first used in badminton shaft, flexibility seemed to be the selling point compared to the old, steel or wooden rackets. And nowadays people just opt for the stiffer options which I still find it rather difficult to understand. I haven't tried AT500 myself, so I shall leave it for the others to comment.

6. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    Yes i agree with previous posters, a stiff shaft should be required, cause more flexibles shafts needed greater swing distance to achieve the same power as a stiff shaft, HOWEVER it also depends on how much wrist power you have, cause if you can't flex the stiff shaft at all, it'd give you even less power.

7. Upquark

Upquark Regular Member

Java developer
    I guess I should just go out and try a racket... not sure about the wrist power aspect. :eek:

I still opt for a AT-500 (€90 here in the Netherlands).

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Having tried the AT500, I'd say it was an excellent compromise: decent head weight with a not-too-stiff shaft. I think 3U is as light as these get, but that's not too heavy. I don't know of any racket outside the Yonex range that has this combination (Carlton, at least, always couples head weight with stiffness).

The AT700 is an alternative, but it's very far into attacking territory - stiffer than the AT500 and balanced like baseball bat. It's also a lot more expensive:). You could also try an AT800 Offensive (if you can find one), as it's a tiny bit stiffer than the 700 but less head heavy. I have one as my backup racket, and its balance and 4U weight make it a good all-rounder.

When you're trying a racket, always keep in mind that you'll probably be swinging it for hours on end, so don't judge them on first impressions - a friend of mine got an AT900P after a few test-swings, but couldn't maintain the necessary wrist power for more than a few minutes on court:(.

9. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I think Mark A is right, AT500 sounds indeed an excellent all-rounder. I don't think an ultra stiff racket should do you any good as well, since your old ProKennex is probably a flexible racket, it takes some time to get use to when switching to new rackets.

Just make sure you get some nice strings along with it.

10. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    I use the AT500 and have tried the AT700. The AT700 just felt dead to me and too heavy. I think I need a little bit of flexibility without going for a flexible racket (if that makes sense?). AT500 is an excellent all-rounder, I doubt that you'll be disappointed. Its also a good price too in NL.

11. Upquark

Upquark Regular Member

Java developer
    Thanks everybody, I really appreciate your input! I think I'll try to get my hands on an AT500...

12. Upquark

Upquark Regular Member

Java developer
    Joy! I persuaded the local racket shop to allow me to try some rackets. Unfortunately, they didn't have that much in stock, and I ended up taking a Nanospeed 5000 and an Armortech 250 with me. Those should give me an impression of what type of racket I need.

13. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    So NS5000 should be a stiff racket where as the AT250 is a medium flex one, am I correct?

14. Upquark

Upquark Regular Member

Java developer
    The Yonex site calls them both 'Flex', but I'll just see... this evening I'll get to play :).

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

IMO, the NS5000 is dreadful. It has no specific attributes that can be taken advantage of by either attacking or defending players - the shaft is neither flexible nor stiff, and the balance doesn't seem to be either head light or head heavy. Again, only my opinion (I use an AT900P - there's no comparison with regards to attack), but the 5k just isn't "special".

For my money, players with 2yrs+ experience should have some idea of what game they play (attack or control), and so should choose a more "focussed" racket.

16. Moeny

Moeny Regular Member

Hi Mark,

You say you play with the At900P. I'm looking for a new racket too. I'm an offensive player, used to play with head-light and like a bit of control. Could the AT900P be the racket for me?

17. Upquark

Upquark Regular Member

Java developer
    Well, that was disappointing! :(

Neither of the two gave me the feeling that I'm in control of the shuttle. I had a hard time hitting it right, it felt like hitting the shuttle with a piece of wood.

Still gotta try an AT-500, which, if I should believe that Yonex Chart thingie, should be a different racket than these two.

Mark A: Being either an attacking or controling player, how does that influence the choice of racket? (Sorry if that's a stupid question :eek:)

18. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Upquark, what kind of strings and tensions with your test rackets?

19. Upquark

Upquark Regular Member

Java developer
    No clue, both just had the original strings (i.e., having the Yonex logo painted on them) and tensions. I'm not sure about the quality of these.

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The key to effortless clears is your wrist, because the cocking and uncocking of the wrist will accelerate the shuttle that sheer power or a stiff/heavy racquet will find difficult, especially when the shuttle is shooting past your head.