Index finger position

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Simoneolivelli, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Simoneolivelli

Simoneolivelli Regular Member

Hi, i have a question for you.

What is the position of index finger during a smash?
    Ok, i know that it must stay below the thumb, etc; but i need to know if it "closes" the grip or stay more relaxed, almost vertically.

I hope that you understood me.

During drop or net, i think that it must be relaxed, but during a smash (or a clear:confused:?)?

I used to have it a little relaxed and i don't have a very strong smash, can be this the problem?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The thumb should be "between" the index finger and middle finger. Going up the handle towards the strings, the order is: little finger, ring finger, middle finger, thumb, index finger.

If the thumb is highest, the grip becomes unstable.

The index finger, together with the thumb, is crucial for maximising racket head speed by the use of grip tightening. You must tighten your grip on impact with the shuttle.

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    grandmaster Gollum,
    i am not really understand these....:eek:
    any photos or illustrations to further explain?
    tq

4. Simoneolivelli

Simoneolivelli Regular Member

So, before the take the shuttle i have to keep index finger relax (vertically) and during taking it i have to close it around the grip of racket like others fingers (little finger, ring finger, etc?)

5. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

First, in the forehand grip, the index finger is never vertical, it is diagonal and curls around the grip.
    When you smash or clear, it is the two last fingers (pinky and annular) that truly grips the racket. The other fingers are loose. As gollum says, before impact, you tighten the grip of the other fingers. It is okay if the index stays diagonal or moves to ther other fingers due to the momentum. What is important though is that you pronate your wrist and forearms.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Not yet. :( You'll have to wait for my much-delayed grips guide revision. The current grips guide photos are slightly misleading in this respect.