Social Badminton Session in Sydney

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by ating1978, Oct 17, 2007.

1. ating1978

ating1978 Regular Member

civil engineer
    been playing badminton for almost two month in sydney now. been to most of the social badminton clubs around sydney and found out that there one thing in common. It is not that sociable at all. Even if you have the money and skills to participate in the badminton session, not neccessarily you get the chance to play.

I have got one example:
    One friend of mine went to UNSW badminton club one day. He is an open grade player and when he wanted to play, no one wants to play with him. Maybe because he is new and they think that he is a crap player or something else. Badminton social clubs are now more politics now. It is about who you know rather than what you have. It happened to me also.

Any opinions???????

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Your last statement is quite true.

"It's about who you know.....". That implies you have to be quite sociable.

I don't think you can expect people to be as polite as in Malaysia. Remember, you are in a different country.

Assuming you are at a level that fits the club, it helps to attend a few times so you start to get recognised as a regular attender. You'll probably then fit into a subgroup of people within the club.

I agree it can be difficult - especially in a new country. Something you have to learn about when moving to a new location.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Cliquishness and Segregation: Not good for promoting Badminton

Hi ating1978,

I feel sorry for you and your friend who attended session@UNSW Badminton Club. :(:(:(

Yes, I was a very active member@UNSW Badminton Club for many years before I came to Melbourne. And yes, the club is good for members, but not so good for visitors.

So sad... visitors attending without introduction from a club member are often left unattended... but that has been their club's behaviour/culture since inception. But I shouldn't attack the club... because I still feel like I am a member there. :):):)

One word to describe the UNSW Badminton Club... cliquey.

In fact when I was a member there, I suggested that the club should not allow visitors to attend if club members are not friendly towards visitors (who are without introduction).

My opinion, ating1978, just join to become a club member. You will be treated very differently. :)

And to Cheung,

What you've said is true. :):):)

The culture of different clubs can be difficult for visitors because of their cliquishness.

My advice is to join to become a member of the club... and the whole experience will be very different.

The reason...
    There are organisers just wanting to look after their club members, and
    There are organisers just wanting to promote Badminton to everyone, regardless members or visitors, low skilled or high skilled, who are attending their club sessions.

I have learned so much by attending so many clubs/groups for Badminton.

And, as you know me, I am strongly against cliquishness and segregation.

Cheers... chris@ccc

#3 chris-ccc, Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  4. libra

libra Regular Member

I agree, with Cheung. If you are new then simply because you are an open grade player doesn't mean you can walk into every club and get to play with the best players straight away.

Yes the hosting club members should be friendly but if they aren't and you don't show initiative yourself then you are just as bad as they are and don't have a right to complain.

I believe that as a guest or visitor you need to adapt to the way the club you are visiting does things and I'm sure if you (or your friend) is good enough then surely the better players would be happy to play with you.

To be honest, the number of players who come to clubs claiming they are experts only to turn out as nothing more than advanced beginers are far greater than those who actually do turn out to be good. Perhaps for this reason the 'good players' in a club are reluctant to play with new faces unless introduced by someone.

Make sense?

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    UNSW Badminton Club was formed for its University student players

Hi libra,

This I agree with you. :):):)

No special treatment should be given to a visitor just because he/she is a Open Grade player... otherwise how could the UNSW Badminton Club attract more student players to join it.

The UNSW Badminton Club was formed/created for its university student players.

Cheers... chris@ccc

#5 chris-ccc, Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  6. magicinsports

magicinsports Regular Member

ating1978,
    I do understand the situations that you experienced. It's true in many clubs that some players or the organiser is not so sociable/friendly at all, at least, they don't know how to treat the visitor well. Unfortunately, the clubs you have gone to give you such bad experience. Probably you did not find players of your level to play with or those players form their own group and segregate from other players/visitors. It's a pity that you live quite far north, otherwise you may come to our club session one Sunday afternoon in far south, you will certainly enjoy some games with our players. We treat visitor players well and normally introduce them to play with others of similar skill level. Of course, you have to show us your play skill and your social skill as well. Most, if not all, of our players are friendly and would play with visitors. We have players from beginners to advanced level, so you will find someone to play with. If interested, send me a private message. Your friend (open grade) could come too if he does not mind to play with lower grade players.

7. sin2kilda

sin2kilda Regular Member

unsw

UNSW used to have good players dominated by malaysians and indonesians in the 1990s. Its always good to make friends or approach the captain (advice for new players). If you are good and able to communicate effectively; am sure they'll give you a spot to play. I used to play there on weekends with their Uni team players. Alternative is observe their standards and catch those which you feel is close to your standard. Easier to mix in. Applies to all who read and wants to make friends.