advice for beginners

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Terry Kil, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Terry Kil

Terry Kil Regular Member

I'm a beginner in badminton in the sense that although I can make contact with the birdie most of the time, I have poor footwork, can't do smashes, suck on drop shots, etc.

At the new university I transferred to, theres a badminton club. I always go to the club alone since I havent met too many people yet. Each time I've found other beginners to play with, I've had a fun time. But the problem is that beginners dont show up to every open recreation. Most of the players there are much better than me. quite a few times I got stuck playing with much better players and they seemed pretty smug.

I would like to play badminton more often, but its no fun if I end up playing with people much better than me and who also arent very friendly. Do I just have to tough it out? Is this the best approach for someone new to the game like me?

also, is playing badminton at the school gym a good way to make friends if youre a beginner like me? or would I just have to be stuck making friends with other beginners?

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Playing badminton is a very good way of getting to know other people quickly.
    If you want to improve your skills so that you can enjoy this game better, try getting a coach. You can find tutorials on the internet too, such as
    http://www.ibbs.tv , youtube, etc..

3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    making friends with beginners is still making friends. be patient. getting good at something doesn't happen quickly. most likely, the better players spent over a year or so developing their skills. badminton is a very technical sport, so it takes time.

you can try searching tutorials by Zhao Jiang Hua, on youtube. although he speaks in chinese, you can get most of what he says, and he's really good. search other tutorials. peter rassumsen does good ones for footwork. also, watching videos of pros playing games will also help. with those, you can rewind, slow down, and observe carefully what they do. and practise it.

4. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Find out who the organiser of the club is and ask them to promote a specific time or court for beginners.

5. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Many options...
    1) Tough it out as you say
    2) Find a beginner really fond of playing like you, and make practice or play schedules
    3) Practice... If you can only practice one thing, just practice the proper grip and forehand technique. Then practice footwork.

6. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

Just keep playin.
    Doesen't matter how good the others. Play with the friendly ones. Be friendly even if u always have to pick up the birdies. many play with weaker players if they have the feeling they keep tryin and enjoy the game. Ask tips.
    :rolleyes:

7. Terry Kil

Terry Kil Regular Member

where would I get a coach? at the club? I dont think they provide instructions for beginners

the link http://www.ibbs.tv said that the site is under maintenance

thanks for the advice everyone

8. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    BadmintonSite.com

Yes, unfortunately IBBS is down for a while. BadmintonSite.com has a few instructional videos. Another good resource can be found at www.Badminton.TV

9. khawcy

khawcy Regular Member

Operations Manager
    The best way is to find someone your standard and play with them. Just go to the club and wait/find the group about your standard and make friends with them. Join them and enjoy... !

10. Terry Kil

Terry Kil Regular Member

well I met with 2 other beginners and got their numbers so we can meet and play more often. We hung out a little, but theyre total nerds. Then again, I'm a total loner here so I'm glad just to have gotten outside of my apartment

11. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    You can always stick around badmintoncentral and use the search function, and the various articles on the front page for some tips on how to become much better. And search on youtube Zhao jianhua for some videos on his coaching.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Use your surperior skill to impress ppl is an easy way, but if you don't have it yet, you need to make friends first. Maybe try to start some off court conversation with the nice ppl around, and let them get to know you, personally. I am sure there are some good old timers don't mind to get you into their group, or introduce you to join the proper group.

No need to take it too much personally, as it's hard to get accepted once you are new any where. It takes time and effort. Again, you want to make friends as a person, not because the badminton skills, or looks, or money, etc. ;)

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just curious..

..where are you located in U.S.A., Terry Kill?:confused:..Maybe we can help you find a coach, if you tell us your location..

14. Terry Kil

Terry Kil Regular Member

i'm in southern california.

lol, you thought my name should be kill, but I spelled kil on purpose

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Oops...

:p..hah, yep, i misread your screen-name...Sorry abt that, Terry Kil..:p:eek:
    Ah, so we're in the same neighborhood...Btw, which part of SoCal??...I assume you've heard of SGVBC??..:confused:;)
    Btw, welcome aboard BC!!:cool:

16. Terry Kil

Terry Kil Regular Member

I'm at ucla. I might have heard about SGVBC. Isnt it some kind of tournament, one where beginners like me stand no chance at

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Ah..

..so you're right there, i assume you also live near UCLA??:)..Well, i'm nowhere close to your area:p, but i have played in one of the local places there: SMC (Santa Monica College):cool:. I know UCLA has its own gym and baddy club...As for SGVBC, it's actually a full-time baddy club, located in El Monte (abt 30-40 minutes drive from UCLA), near our Master NGP/DinkAlot's place of work..And yes, they hold tourneys every so often; and yes, they have players, from all levels, playing there...:cool:
    Btw, here is a list of places to play in your neck of the woods (West L.A.):
    http://www.scbabadminton.org/ (click on Places to Play on the left side)

#17 ctjcad, Oct 23, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  18. Terry Kil

Terry Kil Regular Member

all those places require a fee each time you pay :mad:. Thanks for the link anyway

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..yeah..

..i know...but i didn't know you're looking for places to play for free also..:p..Hmm, if so, do you mind traveling/driving all the way to the San Gabriel valley area on the weekends??;)..I know there are 3 or 4 places where you can play for free..:cool:..

20. Terry Kil

Terry Kil Regular Member

I've tried searching for tutorials on the correct stroke and grip but I havent found any on youtube or those other links you guys posted. There isnt a coach/instructor at my club, so how would I be able to improve on my stroke and grips? Should I just ask some of the better/advanced players at my club, even though I dont know them well?