Best way to defend against high speed drives directed at the body?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by pjviitas, Oct 20, 2007.

1. pjviitas

pjviitas Regular Member

CAD Technologist
    After working on my forehand grip for a couple of months, defending against high speed drives directed at the body seems to be the last piece of the puzzle. More specifically, I do not seem to have the range of shoulder, elbow, wrist motion required to effectively make this type of defense while maintaining a forehand grip.

After thinking about the physics involved here I think that everyone can agree that a shuttle moving directly towards your body relays less velocity information that a shuttle moving tangent to your body.

The reason being that gathering data on an object which appears to be moving and getting larger(shuttle moving tangent to your body) is easier than gathering data on an object which appears simply be getting larger(shuttle moving directly toward you).

Many times high speed drives directed at ones body allow no time to change grip or move out of the way.

With this in mind, any comments on how to defend against high speed drives directed at ones body would be appreciated.

Hedghog

2. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

pretty boring profile -_-
    keep your racket up, and you don't have to drive it back to them - a drop shot will throw them off balance most of the time

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Keep a thumb grip, or a panhandle grip when you see that a lot of drives are about to be played. These grips will help to intercept the drives farther in front of you, so you will find it easier to defend against body shots.

4. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    easy. duck down, so low that your knees are less than 10 inches from the ground. Then hit a normal drive, just direct it higher so that itll go over the net. Panhandle grip is much better if you must stay forehand.

if its so low that you cant hit an overhead shot from that position, than you shouldve stayed standing up and just hit an underhand.

5. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    I have tried this but the result is not at all satisfactory.My opponents come to the net and kill the bird.

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    then you're probably not playing a fast enough drop. in doubles, drops need to be played faster than normal. this is because you want it below the net before they get there, and tightness to the net no longer matters as much as in singles.

not only holding your racquet up, but also out in front of you helps a great deal. i don't know why, but i've found, in defense, holding the racquet out slightly, so it isn't taped near your torso helps heaps.

7. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I doubt that the reason for the difficulty is due to a cognitive difference in reading the shot. For one thing, drives don't necessarily go straight to your face (or hopefully not!). Secondly, it is easier to judge your position relative to the net when the bird comes straight at you. For example, if the drive goes down the line, your vision is diverted away from the net as you turn to make the shot.

Anyhow, here's a progression I use to improve defence:

1. Get a partner to point at different body parts, and you make a swing to cover those parts.
    - sometimes, a player doesn't even know what movement to use when covering certain areas

2. Get your partner to stand in front of the net (with safety goggles!) and throw birds at you

3. Your partner goes on the other side at the net, and drives birds at you.

8. Terry Kil

Terry Kil Regular Member

I'm also a beginner to the game and have alot of difficulty handling drives directed right at me. Alot of times I get confused between whether to use backhand, forehand, and how to hold the racket up

if its fast and directed at my body but slightly towards the left, I hesitate between backhand or just pushing the racket forward. I often get weak, inaccurate shots

if its directed straight at me, but high enough, I can just push it forward. But if its a little lower, what do I do? I cant use forehand, its too low to push it, and too late to lift it up by swinging underhand

Maybe I just have really slow reaction time and need to work on that

Anyways, I would really appreciate any help from you guys

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I agree with Shifty, you need to put your racquet out in front of you. Get in the habit of intercepting shots to your body away from your body. That means being in a ready stance soon after your side make the shot (most likely a clear/lift). You also keep your body lower to the ground (ie. almost squating position). Keeping your profile low would improve your view of the smash/drive, not to mention improving your acceleration and speed to other troubled spots on court.

10. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    try bending your knees to take it forehand. in general, anything from your middle to left should be taken with a backhand style grip. but it you want to be offensive, forehand is usually good. it takes some time to get enough experience to know what to do. i had trouble deciding a year back, and still have some trouble know. experience helps you gauge how to play the shot. and that's something that you gotta get yourself.