MP77 and/or AB900

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by TrunkZ69, Apr 25, 2002.

1. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    I am selling a 3U MP77 for around $110 US dollars. It has only 2 chips, 1 from a soft clash and 1 from the stringer messing up witha clamp and hitting it with the clamp. Neither damaged the frame. I also go an AB900. Brand new. Only been used once. Popped it on that first day and i was too lazy to re-string it. The AB900 is going to go for arround 100. Im willing to haggle a bit for the rackets, and i'll sell them both to someone at the price of $160 US dollars, making them about 80 a piece if you want them both. Contact me if you wish to talk to me.

Ryu222@hotmail.com (not sure if they show your email or not,hehehe)

2. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    at $110 US i could buy it at a store! :D

3. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Chipped one for $110!? Brett was selling his on ebay for $80. I think brand new one's sell for $90 US but they come cheaper in stores. In canada that is.

4. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    ....:( . I know it's cheaper in Canada. But for people in the US it cost $150 dollars. That's what it costed me. And if you didn't notice i said i was haggle too.... it is a rule of economics for you to start off high and slowly drop...

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    trunkz

it's a tough crowd here isn't it?

6. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

True

I really pity u mate! I would suggest u to try for an exchange!

Prob that would work.

7. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Trunkz

Don't know if you will get any bites with that price.

Brett's e-bay listing is not doing too well as there isn't any bids yet and I believe the auction will end in a couple of days.

Good luck though!

8. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    I agree. Trunkz, since no one is giving you any response. I offer you $50US for your racquet.:p

Maybe you should try listing it on EBay like Brett, but don't set the starting bid to high. Instead, set the starting bid to $0.01 and the RESERVE bid to your desired amount. This way you can choose to sell it or not to sell it if the reserve price is not met.

PS. Whenever I buy a used racquet, a paint chip is like 50% off of the original price and a mint used one is 25% off. Scratches are 35% off...:D

9. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Geez, guys, go ahead and laugh at me because I set a fair, but not stupidly cheap price. :(

If anyone can find a better price for a 2U MP-77 in North America, I'd be surprised and suspicious about it. This is, with the exception of the two little paint chips that I have shown in the photo in the listing, a practically brand new racquet in all ways except cosmetics. Why would anyone care that much about the paint chips on this racquet, anyway, given that, more than practically any other racquet on the market, one buys this racquet for performance and not looks?

As for the starting bid price versus reserve price, there are pros and cons for each. Sometimes people get caught up in the bidding and the bids will reach a high level, above the reserve. Often, though, a reserve price will scare off potential bidders who may bid a low ball bid, not meet the reserve, and then not bother any further. I decided to go with an opening bid price at the least amount I am willing to accept for the racquet. As with all other aspects of the sale of this racquet, I am being very candid and potential buyers can see from the start exactly what they will be getting if they bid on and win this auction. My auction isn't a bargain hunter's dream come true, but it is a reasonable sale of a good racquet at a fair price.

10. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Hey Brett, when you mention N. America, some authorized retail stores sells the MP77 for $170CDN. The stores are also authorized Yonex dealers. And the store does sell SP and CD versions.

Also, how long have you been surfing through Ebay?....
    If you haven't noticed, most sucessful transactions or auctions usually start up as a really low starting bid. Therefore creating competition among bidders. If your current auction on the MP77 is not successful, you can try the method I suggested. I suggested the method because of my many years surfing through Ebay on badminton racquets.:rolleyes:
    And in the long run, the final bid is more than the the price you want to sell it for most of the times.
    Can you recall the Boron200 auction? The Ti-SP-SR and SX? (I won the SR....lol.. :D )
    Well if you don't agree with my methods, you can ignore it. I'm just merely trying to help a badminton enthusiasts.:)

11. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Ebay sells mp-77 for $90 US and I thought that was expensive.. it's not strung and + shipping it will come out probably over $200 Canadian.

12. Brett

Brett Regular Member

E-bay auctions

Zero, I'm plenty familiar with E-bay and I've observed that some successful auctions start out with a low asking price and some don't. It depends entirely on the peculiarities of having the right item at the right time. I wasn't willing to risk getting a winning bid of $40 or $50. I agree that the last minute bidding frenzy can drive up prices on an item, but let's face it, if someone wanted the racquet, he or she would have put a bid on it at the price I had listed. If 20 people are only interested in buying it for under $50, how would having a low starting bid help me get the amount that I was seeking if no one was willing to go over $60? I recently won an auction for a $400 CD player that started at $1, with a winning bid of $68 - I'm sure the seller didn't expect that he would get back only 17 cents for every dollar he spent on that player just a year and a half ago, so clearly starting the bidding low is not always a good strategy. I might have done better if I had posted the auction a bit earlier, so that the auction would end in the middle of the evening when more people are online and bidding, rather than after midnight, but I found that posting my first auctions took me two hours to figure out how to get things right, rather than the 20 minutes I expected. Fortunately, this is all academic, as someone did put a bid on it at $90, won the auction and, knock on wood that there are no problems, I will be completing the transaction very soon.

A funny observation on E-baying: I also auctioned off a pair of nearly new hiking boots I had that were too big for me - they were marked as an 11 and were actually either an 11.5 or a 12. I got an e-mail from some guy (not an inexperienced E-bayer either, with an extremely impressive rating of 800 positive feedbacks, 0 negative ones - how do you not run into some unreasonable dork at least once in 800 transactions??) who asked "I have feet with really big, long toes. Will these boots fit me? I like to hunt in Colorado. Will these boots work for me?" I'm not sure what kind of answer he thought I could provide him - how am I supposed to know whether his big long prehensile toes and the rest of his feet are going to fit in these boots or help him hunt in Colorado, as opposed to anywhere else? He didn't win, but the total from that auction was more than double what I was expecting to get, so I am quite pleased with the combined total for the two auctions.