Korean Open: the indonesians are going after all..

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Dec 13, 2000.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and quite a big team also, notables are:

MD:

Candra - Sigit (!!)
    Tony Gunawan- Halim Heryanto

MS:

Marleve Mainaky
    Budi Santoso

no Taufik, of course.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    RE: Korean Open: the indonesians are going after a

The PBSI need the money of course. Why spend resources training top players if u get no income from them? Especially as Indonesia are still in dire starits with their economy.

Do only two Men's double go? Probably not worth sending many more since a third pair can only get to semi-finals at best and financial reward would be compromised.

I wonder if Halim and Sigit partnership doesn't work as well hence the move back to the original partnerships. Halim/Gunawen did get to the WGPF finals in their last outing. Gee, how do they keep churning out top doubles players? Just amazing.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

Cheung,

5 pairs are going, take a look at the Jakarta Post article, there is a link from the front page.

how do they churn out so many top players? well, Indonesia <i>is</i> the 4th most populated country in the world, after all.... :)

4. vince poon

vince poon Guest

Who make the decision in MD? Do the top double player decide who to partner with or the coaches? I though Candra and Tony make a good team, they rank #1 afterall. What happen to their ranking if they split up?

5. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager

According to an Indonesian friend, you can walk down any neighborhood street and get into a game before you go 200 meters. Another Indonesian player we met at a tournament told us that he had been kicked out of his club at home because they didn't think he was capable of any more improvement, and they needed his spot for a better player. This guy was one of the top players in the Open division at the tournament! (Here in the US)

As my friend says, "Everyone in Indonesia is crazy about badminton." That's how they develop so many good players. Is there any kind of gene therapy that would make me Indonesian and 12 years old, just for 2 or 3 years?

marshall

6. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad

Candra Wijaya and Tony Gunawan are ranked 2nd now behind Flandi Limpele and Eng Hian. But i think that Candra and Tony make a much better pair. I mean, they won the Olympic gold.

What about Ricky and Rexy? Are they going? Hope so.... I hope that Candra and Tony pair up coz they would make a much better pairing then their assigned partners now. Or Tony should pair with Rexy if he doesn't partner Candra. Whoever they pair, i hope they do well!!