Tournament help!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by b2harath2, Oct 28, 2007.

1. b2harath2

b2harath2 Regular Member

bAdminton student
    Hi friends, let me tell you all about myself.I have been playing badminton for about 1 and a half years.I dont have a coach now. My strokes are quite ok if not good and my footwork too has improved a bit.It was annoyunced yesterday in my locality that a major tournament is just 2 weeks away! I want to do really well in this tournament.So please tell me some good drills, exercises and other things that would help me improve my game drastically.Please help me friends. I want to do well in this tournament.

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    to be honest, u have to go with the expectation of not doin well but wantin to have fun and learn from the experience. You ave only been playin a short time & this being a major tournament, the chances of u reachin the last rounds r prob slim. Go wit the attitude of tryin ur best but just 2 ave fun & 2 learn from the experience.

Im goin through the same myself, first time 2 play in the league, only been playin a year or so. Hopin 2 play really well but my friend/coach said to not expect 2 much & just 2 get used 2 the proper match atmosphere etc.

In terms of drills, i would focus on improvin what ur gud at & the major things u r bad at. Dont bother tryin to learn new shots or anything, its 2 close to the tournament. As long as you get the basics good. Good length & high clears, accurate smashes, tight drops & general tactics etc. Look at pro matches (utube) & watch where they put the shuttle at certain times etc.

You can have the best shots in the world, but if u don't know when 2 play them, u wil not win.

Gud luck, & i hope u do well, il be routin 4 u :D;)

3. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    I'd focus on getting enough rest and honing the shots you can already do. Don't do any extreme stamina building exercises or start learning new strokes.

4. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

Analyse your game and find 1-2 areas where you need to improve...
    If you can't get your drops right all the time, for example, practice only your drops as an addition to your normal practice...or if find yourself unable to reach the shuttle often, you could practice your footwork more.

It also helps to rest before a tournament...so try not to overdo it

5. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

Try not to get nervous as that will only hinder your performance.

Just try to have fun

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    closer to tournament time, you should be aiming at consistency of shots. don't waste time on new shots, or new ways of playing. your best bet is to work on consistency, if it had been a few weeks out, say 5-4, you could do a lil stamina work. but now, prob just go for runs, to keep in shape, but not burn yourself out. most importantly, don't get anxious about doing good. play each game like an individual game, rather than a whole tournament.