Will this have a huge power difference?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by 6332268, Oct 28, 2007.

1. 6332268

6332268 Regular Member

despite the fact that i know that i ask a lot of questions :p... will there a be a huge power difference in my smash/clears if i use a head heavy racquet compared to a head light racquet?

2. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    well it depends on your swing style, technique etc, i mean i get just as much power from HH and HL rackets but i use HL rackets because i like them more and their more all around so my defense doesn't suffer from the slightly reduced maneuverability. also my style seems to work better with HL rackets so I stick with it, this is a hard question to anwser because i have never seen u play, i don't know what your style is etc. if i saw u play it would be possible to anwser your question, unfortunately that may not be possible so the only thing i can tell you do to is try a HH racket and try a HL racket from your friends or fellow badminton players in your area or ask even ask your question to a experienced player. good luck.

Martin.

3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    yes, generally, you get more power out of head heavy racquets. but you sacrifice defensive capabilities. head heavy racquets take longer to bring into position to defend, say, a smash. as a result, you usually have a slower defense with head heavy racquets. however, with practice, one can get used to head heavy racquets.

4. alan06

alan06 Regular Member

well, force = massxacceleration so I say a head-heavy racket will give u more power. It's also more favorable to use a head-heavy racket for singles game because you have less smashes to block on and less drive. That's why Lin Dan and peter gade, lee chong wei all use head-heavy rackets.

5. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

absolutely not. Just think about it this way, mass times acceleration = force, newton's law. Ok how much does your racket weigh? and how fast is it going? Your racket is light, doesn't matter if you have the top of the line yonex, or a wooden one, it's still light, no more than 2-3 lbs. Acceleration, it's a racket, swung by a human, it's not gonna be like a gun. So why do people like taufik have smashes that can reach over 100 mph? technique. Which is another physics term, torque. Directional energy. So you have your F=ma, you F has to go somewhere. the difference between a good smash and a bad smash is where it's going, what you want is distance, angle, and force. You want to hit it to a place where the other person will have difficulty getting to, at a sharp angle so the main directional force is downwards (think vectors, one will be moving towards the other court, one will be going down, and one will be going diagonally up as air resistance), and you want to hit it as hard as you can.

to wrap it up, it's not the racket, it's you.

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    yes, but he asked whether a head heavy racquect can give him a bigger smash. and yes it can. how much? that depends on him. yes a lot of it is technique, but head heavy racquets help those with good technique to get the best smash possible.

7. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    at a slow swing speed the heavy head will be stronger. If a heavy head and light head were swung at maximum speed, then both would give the same power assuming that both rackets are identical with different racket balance.

8. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    I find that if I am tired I get a better smash from my AT500 than my headlight NS6K, when I'm not tired the difference is not very pronounced. So I would say yes, at least for me, a head heavy racket helps a bit (but not a huge difference). But I do sometimes wonder how much of it is psychological - I think I smash and clear easier with the AT500, so I am happier with that racket.

9. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Depends on the way you swing. IF you use a very whippy wrist flick, and can make the head on a racquet move super fast, the headlight racquet will benefit your fast swing speed. However, if you rely a bit more arm, the head heaviness on a head heavy racquet will provide power. I'd just say that how well you like your racquet is dependant on how well you feel when you hit the bird.