User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 44
  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would love a hit, i'm not much of a player, bad footwork, bad technique, but i'm still learning the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by extremenanopowe View Post
    Mate,
    I am still playing competitively. Getting old now. Not easy. Coaching is just part time for me. Mostly in Singapore. Let me know if you want a hit sometime. Monash Uni was fun. Played with the Presidet of BV. Great chap. His name is Mr Poh.

  2. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WWAAO
    Posts
    2,142
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    this is off topic but what do you people think of the change in government? history has showed that the alp does not manage the economy well but rudd seems to be able to change that.

  3. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well the economy is quite strong at the moment, so unless he makes some terrible mistakes, than it should remain that way for awhile longer.

    Hopefully he's asian connections will presuade him to put money into promoting "Asian Sports" especially badminton.

    We will just have to sit and wait to see what Rudd will do with he's new found powers. Save the cheerleader save the world

    Quote Originally Posted by llpjlau View Post
    this is off topic but what do you people think of the change in government? history has showed that the alp does not manage the economy well but rudd seems to be able to change that.

  4. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderCock View Post
    Oh ok, are you guys friendly up there in UC? I hear it gets packed up there and everyone tends to stick to their own groups
    Sorry,

    I haven't been posting for a while, and have just stopped playing for a while as well, I have recently had an eye operation.

    Unversity clubs down here tend to be a bit like that as they don't have a board system (organised games), but the courts are still timed, so that players cannot hog them for the entire session.

    UC can get quite busy at times, they are the only registered club to have two sessions, Tuesday night and Sunday morning. They are also one of two clubs with the largest halls in Canberra- eight courts.

    UC had the reputation of the best players in Canberra over the years. They still have a few good players, some on Tuesdays and some on Sundays.

    Yes there are quite a few friendly players there.

    Regards

    Stuart

  5. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    HKG
    Posts
    1,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    actually UC is the best place to play in canberra. the people there are amazingly friendly and, like jump smash just mentioned, some of the best players.

    it seems they haven't changed the schedule in aeons!! the last time i played there was all the way back in 1992!! have they kept the huge green curtains? does music still blast away from the upstairs gym?
    if people tend to stick to groups, then it has changed quite considerably. during my time, players were very open and everyone was playing with everyone regardless of level.

    i really do miss the people and playing there . hopefully the next time i come back i'll have the chance.

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jump_smash View Post
    Sorry,

    I haven't been posting for a while, and have just stopped playing for a while as well, I have recently had an eye operation.

    Unversity clubs down here tend to be a bit like that as they don't have a board system (organised games), but the courts are still timed, so that players cannot hog them for the entire session.

    UC can get quite busy at times, they are the only registered club to have two sessions, Tuesday night and Sunday morning. They are also one of two clubs with the largest halls in Canberra- eight courts.

    UC had the reputation of the best players in Canberra over the years. They still have a few good players, some on Tuesdays and some on Sundays.

    Yes there are quite a few friendly players there.

    Regards

    Stuart
    Eye operation, was it serious? Omg 8 courts and still can get busy, i guess i'll just have to come and see. Thanks for the info.

    Regards,

    D.U.C

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderCock View Post
    Eye operation, was it serious? Omg 8 courts and still can get busy, i guess i'll just have to come and see. Thanks for the info.

    Regards,

    D.U.C
    Yes, unfortunately detached retnia. Looking back probably caused by me trying to rush fowards and sideways to intercept/block a smash in a doubles game over a year ago. I had done it many times before, but my timing was off, and I did have to try it against a former ACT rep player (ex Under 17 and Under 19 Girls Singles),

  8. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by z3048018 View Post
    actually UC is the best place to play in canberra. the people there are amazingly friendly and, like jump smash just mentioned, some of the best players.

    it seems they haven't changed the schedule in aeons!! the last time i played there was all the way back in 1992!! have they kept the huge green curtains? does music still blast away from the upstairs gym?
    if people tend to stick to groups, then it has changed quite considerably. during my time, players were very open and everyone was playing with everyone regardless of level.

    i really do miss the people and playing there . hopefully the next time i come back i'll have the chance.
    Yes a lot has changed. One of the biggest and best being the change from the old lino over concrete floor, to a sprung wooden one.

    With the regard to the gym above it is full enclosed now, and the few times I have been there isn't being used that much. The have a new weights and aerobics facility out next to the toilets/change rooms, where the reception is now located.

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    HKG
    Posts
    1,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i actually liked the old floor - very springy. it would be great to try the new floor, hopefully the next time i'm in town maybe in late february or whenever my friend is in town.

    i'll give you a shout, and you never know, you might even know my friend!!

  10. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by z3048018 View Post
    i actually liked the old floor - very springy. it would be great to try the new floor, hopefully the next time i'm in town maybe in late february or whenever my friend is in town.

    i'll give you a shout, and you never know, you might even know my friend!!

    You can give me a call anytime you drop by, I probably do know your friend. Really you prefer the old floor - I must be getting older, the new one is much better on my legs and knees.

  11. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Had a chance to finally play at the UC badminton club, took me over an hour to get there by bus. You must be speaking of another group of "amazingly" friendly people, cos when i was there people tend to fairly much keep to their own groups. Couldn't get a hit on the "good" side of the hall and all the "good" players seem to not want to play with the new players. There are 8 courts but really only 6 playable ones as the other two have the basketball rings sticking rite above the middle of the court , which is where i spent most of my time . The only thing that got to me was that no one shakes hands after the game has finished. I'll try the Tuesday session, hopefully the "amazing" ppl are there.

    I also played at Erindale, which has a better group of ppl, but charge abit more and there is abit of a breeze blowing across the court, maybe from the airconditioning, which i found quite funny . The floor was really good and easy on the feet. Even here no one likes to shake hands, maybe cos no one washes their hands after they go to the toilet, i've seen that happen a few times at work....

    Quote Originally Posted by z3048018 View Post
    actually UC is the best place to play in canberra. the people there are amazingly friendly and, like jump smash just mentioned, some of the best players.

    it seems they haven't changed the schedule in aeons!! the last time i played there was all the way back in 1992!! have they kept the huge green curtains? does music still blast away from the upstairs gym?
    if people tend to stick to groups, then it has changed quite considerably. during my time, players were very open and everyone was playing with everyone regardless of level.

    i really do miss the people and playing there . hopefully the next time i come back i'll have the chance.

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am sorry you had a bad experience at UC. January can be a strange time for playing as some people tend to be away.

    UC and ANU clubs can be quite different as the do not have organized games.

    Tuggeranong, Hindmarsh and National all have organised and timed games. Unfortuanetly apart from UC and Tuggeranong, the other clubs start later in the new Year.


    Canberra players tend to be less formal, than handshaking after every game.

    Sorry I cannot be of any help, as I am still not playing at the moment because I am recovering from the eye operation. As of late last year, I usually play at UC on Sundays.

  13. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is nothing for u to be sorry about jump_smash you have taken the time and effort to reply to all my messages and for that i must thank you.

    I will give UC another try hopefully, it will get better from here on in.

    Still excited to play at ANU, i've heard good things about that place.

    Quote Originally Posted by jump_smash View Post
    I am sorry you had a bad experience at UC. January can be a strange time for playing as some people tend to be away.

    UC and ANU clubs can be quite different as the do not have organized games.

    Tuggeranong, Hindmarsh and National all have organised and timed games. Unfortuanetly apart from UC and Tuggeranong, the other clubs start later in the new Year.


    Canberra players tend to be less formal, than handshaking after every game.

    Sorry I cannot be of any help, as I am still not playing at the moment because I am recovering from the eye operation. As of late last year, I usually play at UC on Sundays.

  14. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderCock View Post
    There is nothing for u to be sorry about jump_smash you have taken the time and effort to reply to all my messages and for that i must thank you.

    I will give UC another try hopefully, it will get better from here on in.

    Still excited to play at ANU, i've heard good things about that place.
    Okay, But don't be shy there! They are mostly students and you have to jump on a court! Talk to Dat, the organiser (he will be the one collecting the money).

    As to UC, my friend Joe, should be back from Malaysia soon, he is one of the most friendly and polite guys around, also happens to be arguably one of Canberra best players.

  15. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    lol thanks for the advice mate, first time some one said i was shy . Just curious, but was Dat originally from Perth?

    Quote Originally Posted by jump_smash View Post
    Okay, But don't be shy there! They are mostly students and you have to jump on a court! Talk to Dat, the organiser (he will be the one collecting the money).

    As to UC, my friend Joe, should be back from Malaysia soon, he is one of the most friendly and polite guys around, also happens to be arguably one of Canberra best players.

  16. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderCock View Post
    lol thanks for the advice mate, first time some one said i was shy . Just curious, but was Dat originally from Perth?

    I honestly don't know, he has been with ANU club for a long while, he has work at the ANU for quite a while too.

    By the way, if you go to UC on Sundays and have trouble with games, talk to San-Neo (pronounced Sanyo), as she is UC President and can help (she only plays there on Sundays).

  17. #34
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderCock View Post
    lol thanks for the advice mate, first time some one said i was shy . Just curious, but was Dat originally from Perth?

    I honestly don't know, he has been with ANU club for a long while, he has work at the ANU for quite a while too.

    By the way, if you go to UC on Sundays and have trouble with games, talk to San-Neo (pronounced Sanyo), as she is UC President and can help (she only plays there on Sundays).

    Regards

    Stuart

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. looking for places to play at cck
    By dandan in forum Singapore
    Replies: 3
    : 02-23-2009, 04:03 AM
  2. Other places to play???
    By KTTan in forum Singapore
    Replies: 0
    : 12-09-2008, 08:19 AM
  3. Looking for places to play!
    By derekcai in forum Singapore
    Replies: 2
    : 12-03-2008, 10:20 AM
  4. places to play
    By vintageclassic in forum Singapore
    Replies: 2
    : 07-03-2008, 12:25 AM
  5. Looking for places to play .
    By Badmixturn in forum Singapore
    Replies: 5
    : 02-03-2005, 04:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •