Need help with starter equipment

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by psx19, Oct 30, 2007.

1. psx19

psx19 Regular Member

I tried making a topic for each section to make it a bit more specific, but it yielded no results =( I was hoping to be able to delete the topics and make one concrete topic, which is this one hopefully.

A bit about me. I've been playing for a bit over 2 years, inconsistently. I play about 8 hours a week now (all I can). I consider myself an all-around/offensive player. I enjoy smashing, but I try to do a little bit of everything. I live in New York, please consider that when making equipment recommendations ^^

1) Racket
    I've been trying to research a bit, asking some friends to see their rackets, and seeing what's available. I THINK I prefer a head-heavy, stiff, 3U racket, but to be honest, I don't have enough experience with rackets to rule out other options. My budget is low, $80 or less US. I was thinking of AT250, or maybe a muscle power, but I'm open to any other suggestions (brand doesn't matter much to me).

2) Shoes
    Been trying to figure this one out for a while too. I want to test some shoes out in person for fitting. Being that I'm in the NYC area, my options seem to be severely limited. I was specifically interested in Wave Gate II/III, or Asics Gel Tactic. I haven't been able to find any local places for Mizuno, and the only Asics that might be available locally I think is the Gel Rocket III. Again, my budget is low ($60 or less), so I ruled out Yonex. I think I'll try a few local stores to see if I can perhaps just go with the Gel Rocket.

3) Bag
    I was going for something like a 6-racket bag with a shoe compartment, and maybe another small compartment for accessories. I'd like to spend less than $25, so the Victor C-3078 appealed to me ($19 on bbesports). It seems to have what I need, but I don't necessarily like the style. I was just wondering if there are other choices for this criteria.

4) String
    If I buy the racket from bbeshop, I was going to just try to get it strung with BG-65 at 22 lbs. Should I be looking at anything else, or a different string tension? (Assuming that's more of a thing I'll figure out through experience).

Sorry for the long post and multiple topics, I've just been having a real hard time deciding/finding stuff. Thank you.

[Edit] Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, I hate late night posts >.< Could this possibly be moved to the equipment forum please?

#1 psx19, Oct 30, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  2. psx19

psx19 Regular Member

Been looking around more, I think I'm really interested in the following rackets, if anyone could please compare them.

SOTX Woven 5A
    SOTX Winner Kinsmen STB-8080+
    Kason Super TSF Glory 98

Again, I THINK I prefer a more head heavy racket, on the stiffer side, because I consider myself an offensive player, but I'm open to change or adaptation. I am a singles player at heart, but the place I play at now kind of forces me to play doubles due to limited court space. I searched for some reviews of these rackets, I'd just like to know how they compare against each other. Thanks to anyone that helps :)

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. If you prefer head heavy and stiff, then 8080+ might be off the chart. I've been using 8080+ before, it's a very well made all around racket, but no where near head heavy. The stiffness is more like med-stiff. From SOTX range, Woven 4A is heavy and stiff, somehow feels a bit like MP77. :rolleyes: Not sure about 5A.

2. Check www.hiquasports.com for bags. If you think you need to carry tons of stuff (i.e. 4-6 rackets, 2 tubes of shuttles, water, 1 pair of shoes, some changing clothes), Pro-Bag-02 is a huge monster. If you don't have to carry that much, Pro-Bag-04 should be good enough.

3. BG65 @ 22lb is a good combo to begin with. If you prefer a bit more feeling, BG80 is the way to go. In theory, BG80 is not as durable as BG65. However, if you don't smash like crazy or always mis-hit, at 22lb, the durability of BG80 is very much acceptable, and should last for a while.

4. psx19

psx19 Regular Member

Thanks! From what I can gather, 8080+ is heavier, more headlight, less stiff than the Woven5A, which rules it out I think. I took a look at Woven4A, I liked everything except the weight, I think it's too heavy for me. I'm still unsure about the TSF Glory 98, but I think it's more similar to 8080+, so I'm leaning more towards the Woven 5A.

As far as the bags though, thanks a lot for the link! Finally some quality bags for a cheaper price, but I wish they looked better :crying:. Oh well, would you happen to know if HI-QUA 07 has a shoe compartment? It's not listed so I'm assuming it doesn't. I might go with the Pro Bag 04.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am not sure about 07 bag, but surprise to see it listed to have the same width as 04. It does not look like to have the shoe compartment, but if the width is really as listed, you can squeeze the shoes in, if you don't have too many other things. Of course, 04 is a safer choice.

Regarding to the racket, if you are on a tight budget, and don't mind the oval head, HQ20 worth to take a look. A local player has 1 and I got a chance to try it back then. To me, it's a well made all around racket, similar to 8080+ but more toward even balance if not head heavy side. Definitely worth a shot consider the price. ;)

One thing to keep in mind regarding shopping international, is the possible extra duty / shipping cost and transaction time. Also, currency process charge (wire, paypal, etc) can be applied as well. Never to mention, if there's damage or lost of items during transaction, communication and international shipping charge can be a pain.

#5 LazyBuddy, Nov 1, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  6. psx19

psx19 Regular Member

Ah cool, just to clear something up, when looking at the balance point in MM, the higher the number, the more head heavy right? If so it seems like the HQ20 would be more headlight.

And yeah, the shipping is a huge part to all of this. I actually took a look at more bags because I really don't like the color/style of the Hi-Qua bags. I emailed the sources to check how much the total would cost, I"m considering a Victor bag and a SOTX one, each of which should be plenty to carry everything. Guess I'll find out which to go for soon enough. :)

Going to check some local stores to see if they carry any shoes even remotely close to badminton/volleyball shoes. Wish me luck haha

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The number is just a reference, as we don't know how they measure the bp. Whether it's with overgrip? Strung or unstrung? All such and such can easily shift the balance here and there.

I can only tell from my hand feeling, and of course everyone's standard could be different. I remember the HQ20 I swinged, it's at least even balanced, if not head heavy. ;)

8. psx19

psx19 Regular Member

Appreciate the help. Tried the local places for shoes, none of them even have volleyball shoes, yet alone badminton ones. Guess I'll have to try the city.

9. shaoyut

shaoyut Regular Member

get yonex armotec 250or 300 or musclepower 21 29 or ns 6000 or cab 20 or 21 shoes SHB 90 or sumthin and bag any bag