Smash problem

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by roncarlo316, Oct 31, 2007.

1. roncarlo316

roncarlo316 Regular Member

Hi All,
    First of all, thank you for the makers of this website.it really help a lot.God Bless You!! I have a problem with my smash. I think its weak, that even an underaverage player can return it with ease. I even increases the tension of my string to 30lbs but to no avail. Please advice how to streghten my smash? is it my form or position before the smash? also, everytime i do a smash, my shoulder suddenly hurt. i also want to learn the jump smash. Thank you and God Bless!!!

2. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

Everything else aside, a string tension of 30 lbs is far too much you. If you don't know what you need to do to strengthen your smash, then I'd say a string tension between 19-21 lbs is for you. If you were advanced enough to know what you needed to do, but were still in the process of working on it, then I wouldn't need to tell you what tension you should use. You'd already know based on your own preferences.

Go with a lower tension.

Wayne Young

3. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

The reason why your shoulder hurts everytime you smash, is because the string tension is way too high, and maybe because your form is wrong, or even both. As Kiwiplayer said, a lower tension around 19 to 21lbs is good for you.
    If you'd like to learn how to do a jump smash, there's an instructional video on youtube by Peter Rasmussen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIbGK0-iQGA
    Oh and if you'd like to further improve your skills, get a coach. :)

4. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Hmm...now i can smash already...but the prob comes where jump smash, my timing is out and i will feeel like im shrinked...the shuttle will become powerless...
    can anybody tell me the method how to do the legs folding up during jump smash??
    Like pro players does??

5. roncarlo316

roncarlo316 Regular Member

Thanks for all the advices. ill lower my tension to probably 21. yeah, i
    think getting a coach to check and improve my skills is the best option for
    me. also, ill check all the instructional videos this website can offer. it will
    really help a lot. even the article alone.

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    if your shoulder is hurting from smashing, i'd say stop before you get a major injury. especially if it's a sharp pain. if it's more of a muscle strain, that's different. but if it was a sharp pain, your technique may not be correct.

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Just to back up what others have said:

High string tensions can cause injury. Few players can safely play at 30 lbs.

8. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    remember, its al about timing & technique. The shuttle has to b infront of you & u have to twist ur body into it. Stand side onto it. At the moment you contact, twist 180 degrees so your body is facing the other way.

It could also b possible that u r not bringin ur arm back far enough, it should be quite close to touching ur back.

Some people have explained it like throwing a stone as far as you can, its roughly the same technique.

Dont focus on jump smash until u have perfected the ordinary smash. U will just mess urself about.

Search the forum as well, type in smash or something in the search button above. There should be lots of threads on this

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    well in addition, you can try using more wrist work to smash it down instead of using your shoulder to help you in smashing. You may aggravate it. Just improve your wrist power and it shd be fine. Note that if you have great power, it'll definitely help in offence, however the trick is the control and position your smash to the weaker player, to both sides or to the body. You'll need to analyze your opponent as you go along.

I do face problem with shoulders and I switch to more wrist power and heavier rackets helps interms of keeping the power. Am also not sure if its a blood circulation issue. I just bought those little magnetic stuff where I put it on my feet (helps circulation) and the pain is no longer there. Takes time though. Good luck and mabuhay!

10. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    100% Agreed! Using 30lbs tension could potentially damage your shoulder and cause injuries. Just because there is more tension doesnt mean there will be more power, quite the opposite really. Lower your tension to around 22lbs, that's a good starting point.

11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

My shoulder even ached when I jumped from 22lbs to 24lbs. But as I increased my tension, I realised that I automatically started to use my wrist more, and not use my shoulder much, because of the pain. Once you get used to the lower string tension about 21-22lbs and if your form is correct ( this would take quite a long time ), you can start increasing your tension by two lbs at a time.

12. Baddyfanatic

Baddyfanatic Regular Member

Student
    The right tech will likely to improve the speed of your smash. Like what gingerphil79 vbmenu_register("postmenu_701322", true); said, the shuttle has to be in front of you at around 11 o'clock at the maximum height where your arm is able to reach in a relaxed manner. If you're righthanded, body weight should be rest on your right leg. Right leg should be behind your left leg. Left hand should be pointing straight out towards the net for balance. Keep your arm as close to your body as possible. Before the shuttle arrives, keep racket and arm angle to nearly 0 degrees, relaxed. Cock back your wrist quickly as the shuttle arrives. For all the steps mentioned your grip should be loose for the entire time and then only gradually tighten your grip as your racket arrives at the point of contact. SMASH! After, just follow through with your arm (try not to hit your self).

13. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

If your shoulder hurts, it is either due to two things. One is that the timing is incorrect. That means you are either hitting it behind you, or more likely, to the side of your body. SLOW down the shuttle, and work on getting the timing right. You should be contacting the shuttle above your shoulder, and in front. Keep the shuttle speed down until get the angle, and contact point done. You can always increase the power later, getting the angle and contact point is the difficult part.

The other thing that may be causing your shoulder to hurt is that you are trying to power the shuttle with your shoulder. While possible...I used to do this, it is not good for a long life in badminton. Rotate your hips first, start the swing, then make contact with the shuttle. Remember to use your wrist to help power the shuttle. If you are contact the shuttle properly, the power should come. As mentioned above, keep your wrist loose.

Also, you can lower the tension to 18-22 lbs.

14. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    just go at 23lbs, at 21 lbs you'll notice your smash trajection point is going anywhere...
    i think 23 lbs is reasonable enough for the beginning

15. djyu42

djyu42 Regular Member

Student
    hi, ive been playing for about 6 years now...i used to have problems with smashing until i learned how to jump smash. i was a coach for my high school and i would always tell my kids to catch the smash at the highest point possible, when u catch it at the highest point, the arch will be better; therefore lead to a better angle.

2nd: when ur racket has contact with the birdie, choke the grip and thrust ur wrist. try not to use too much arm, if u are using too much arm, the joints on ur shoulder will be strained and lead to painful shoulder injuries. when u have a sharp pain at the shoulder and for example cant raise ur arm, the form is wrong, i used to have this problem. u need to rest and ice ur shoulder for the first 48 hours and then heat ur shoulder with a heatpad. the pain should go away.

third: do not smash when u are off position, smashing off position often leads to injuries and back shots like to the net.

the tension on the racket shouldnt reach pass what it tells u on the racket, usually it should say where the serial number is above the grip. the higher the tension is the harder it is to control the birdie. i usually play around 24-26, i use to use 30lbs but then i would break my strings very often.

..hope this helps!

16. reiji

reiji Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Apart from those very useful advice given above (e.g. reducing string tension, positioning), one possibility would be that you are still slicing the shuttle a little instead of hitting it square after pronation. This can be easily identified by listening to the sound produced upon impact. However, to correct this would require more than adjusting your grip thru trial n error. Best advice would be to get a coach. You would be surprised how fast your smash can get using the same racket swing speed if your stroke is corrected. Good Luck!

17. pezai

pezai Regular Member

student
    1) get a racket with less tension, ur gonna kill urself playing with that 30 lb tension racket
    2) dont think about jump smashing until u've mastered smashing without jumping completely, or ur jump smashes are gonna be weak and u might end up hurting urself
    3) get a coach to work on ur form, ur probably not turning your shoulders the right way

18. MING PARIS

MING PARIS Regular Member

restaurant owner
    tonight I try the racket from yangyang 150g nice for training ,but not for game ,I am not able to handle during game ,but realy nice for practice!
    MING

19. Heong

Heong Regular Member

do not string to 30lbs just for a stronger smash. unless you have extremely good wrist, i recommend 23~25. You can even produce a better smash with 20lbs which depends on ur skills.

it is absolutely suggested that u get a stringer & lower ur tension. Only people like Taufik Hidayat can withstand a tension of 30lbs. =)

20. Smashis

Smashis Regular Member

#1 decrease the tension
    #2 try to find either a training racquet or a genrally heavy racquet and play with it to strengthen your wrist.
    #3 Watch theat Peter Ramasseun vid its rly good helped me with my smash