Oval (Carbonex) Vs Isometric frames

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by otterfun, Nov 2, 2007.

1. otterfun

otterfun Regular Member

financial analyst
    Hi,
    I read from YY website that Iso has 10% more in sweet spot.
    This is about 2 more strings vertical and horizontal.

Is there a significant loss of power/control and bad vibration when one hits an off-center shot on Carbonex Vs an Isometric ?

To me, the Isometric frame sweetspot, though bigger feels less intense as a Carbonex (at least from memory) when I hit the shuttlecork.

Question:
    Does Carbonex has a more intense sweet spot feel than an Isometric ?

Any ideas or experiences welcome.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8337&highlight=cab+explosion
    and it's not blowing up taxi:p

3. otterfun

otterfun Regular Member

financial analyst
    Hi,
    Thanks for the cool read, I feel better now. I really miss the Carbonex I had and reading these discussion gave me a better idea.

So off to check out a demo Carbonex 30 MS just to reconfirm the little voice in my head.

BTW, it will be my early b-day/Christmas present :D from my buddy.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Lucky... you got a good buddy who buy you stuff! I am one of the few who truly appreciates the oval frame. Need to hear more yahhs from oval supporters!

5. speedy

speedy Regular Member

I have owned and played with

cab 8 (aluminium frame)
    cab 9 (aluminium frame)
    cab 8 sp tour
    cab 20sp
    cab 21sp
    cab 30 ms 3u

Like you said, the cab had explosion feelings difficult to attain with the iso's. However once you are used to the iso's, then that intense feeling can be achieved. But you really need to train your arms and wrist harder to get it.

The best cab I had used is the cab21sp. Only setback is it is a bit too heavy for a doubles match. But now the cab21sp 3u is already available in stores. This is something I had been waiting for ages but still I haven't bought it because I'm doing really well with my 3u at700. I also have at900t and at900p waiting their turns to be fully tested. So I guess the 21sp 3u will have to wait.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Nah, all you need is patience... more patience than the players who got instant gratification of ISO frames. When you're used to ovals, you'll actually be more consistent due to the increased feedback. With increased feedback, you'll have to think more carefully about your shots and placement due to the limitation of the decreased sweetspot. That in itself could make you a better player.

7. speedy

speedy Regular Member

From my experience the cab 30 ms doesn't feel like the other cabs maybe because it is long. Anyways, happy demoing

8. otterfun

otterfun Regular Member

financial analyst
    Update:
    Got one since it is my early Christmas/birthday present = D
    Carbonex 30 muscle 3UG4 with BG80 at 25Lb.

nice : just like the good old days when I played with my Carbonex. Good sweet spot when I hit it and it was not hard to hit the sweet spot consistently.

Compared to my MP21, this one has more "umph"-feel, a nice impact sound and you can feel the good sweet hits as well as the off-center ones.

I used it to block back fast smashes effortlessly. More control on where I want the shuttlecork to go. I love this one much better than my MP21.

Only thing, may need to turn up the tension just a tad since the strings are still a little too trampoline for me. I do have to swing faster with this one than my MP21 using more of my shoulder and upper body strength. But I barely needed to adjust to this racket in terms of hitting the sweet spot.

Having said that, the racket face is almost the same as my MP21 when I lay the Carbonex on top of the MP21. You are talking about miniscule difference in shape. But the Carbonex is well balanced when compared to the headlight MP21.

Conclusion :
    I like this racket for more "umph" and just plain fun to hit smashes, drives, blocks, and drop shots. You have to get to the sweet spot to enjoy this racket though. since I was brought up with Carbonex, this is not a problem. maybe a problem for those who are used to Iso rackets. But the sweetness is addictive. It is worth the effort and concentration to try to hit the sweet spot consistently.

#8 otterfun, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  9. s239rt

s239rt Regular Member

speedy, cab21 sp 3U is available again?!?! I though they only have 2U... and of course Cab 20 sp 3U is available ..(I got one less than a year ago).. Please enlight me if cab 21 3U really being reproduce... thanks! By the way, is Hong Kong available if so? :)

10. speedy

speedy Regular Member

Yes, cab21sp 3u is available everywhere in Malaysia. This is almost like a dream come true.:) I hope it is also available in Hong Kong.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Welcome to the cab30ms family. This racket is truly a great racket, and the price (in US market) is a steal, as it's 25%-50% cheaper than the ISO top models. ;)

12. s239rt

s239rt Regular Member

thanks speedy, I'll definitely search for it. By the way, is Cab 30MS "3U" doesn't exist no more? SP version I mean... What about in malay? thx

For the Cab 21, please any HK friends here could confirm this... I will definitely go search that myself as I am in hk at the moment. MAN! I am getting one! None can compare the sensation you get from a Cab20 3U shot.. I imagine the Cab 21 3U would have similar magic....

13. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Cab30ms 3UG4 is available in US. Ask around and you can fins some member here to sell you a Cab30ms for a very good price. Go see MJ String if you are in Toronto area.