User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 44

Thread: 2 or 4 knots

  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah, something new for a change. experiment just for the love of this wonderful sport. I bet all you pro stringers get bore easily doing the same thing over n over. love u guys man.

  2. #19
    Regular Member maa2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kemaman, Malaysia
    Posts
    1,765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    looks like he started from edge-to-edge instead of mid-to-edge. if yes, then it is a big NO ...

    I've seen many stringers here did from edge-to-edge, either 2 knots or 4 knots, eventhough they have a powerful machine such as ES5Protech or clone of Exthree machine (similar to Victor for badminton only electric machine).

    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Hi all
    I'm fairly new to badminton - been only playing about 5 months, and I have some questions on stringing.
    Recently went to a shop here in Bangsar, Malaysia, and the stringger, old man with lots of experience (apparently has been stringing for 50 years), strings my racquets with 4 knots.
    For those who is wondering what 4 knots are, - he strings it vertical first (parallel to the grip), with an opening and closing knot (that's 2 knots) - and then he cuts the sting.
    Then he strings it horizontal (with another 2 knots), opening and closing.
    That is the 4 knots method.
    I asked him why - all he said is that this is a better way.
    Well, coming from an old chap with 50 years stringing experience, I take his word.
    Through my observation - when we buy racquest - they all come only with 2 knots.
    ie. the string is never cut in half, between horizontal and vertical.
    Im sure many of you out there only stings with 2 knots.
    So - my question is - would it be better to be using 2 knots or 4 knots ?
    Any of you here in KL, Malaysia been using 4 knots ? Please share your experience and feel.
    Thanks
    Dillon
    talk to that uncle to see Mark Appleton video how to string 4-knots without pre-weave.

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...34#post1721034
    Last edited by maa2003; 10-08-2011 at 02:56 AM.

  3. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Bottomline: 2 knots and pre-weave.

    I had dinner with Sidek family the other day, very insightful. However, one of the topics happened to be related to this. It was mentioned that 4 knots is usually done by tennis stringer and if your stringer does 4 and doesn't pre-weave, you're better cutting it and finding another stringer or even better buy your own machine and learn to do it properly :P

    There I saw a few broken rackets in a corner waiting to be returned (they are sponsored by Yonex anyways :P)

  4. #21
    Regular Member Blitzzards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    GMT-04:00
    Posts
    1,437
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moomoo View Post
    Bottomline: 2 knots and pre-weave.

    I had dinner with Sidek family the other day, very insightful. However, one of the topics happened to be related to this. It was mentioned that 4 knots is usually done by tennis stringer and if your stringer does 4 and doesn't pre-weave, you're better cutting it and finding another stringer or even better buy your own machine and learn to do it properly :P

    There I saw a few broken rackets in a corner waiting to be returned (they are sponsored by Yonex anyways :P)
    Ok, so now you have given us the executive summary, where is the [insightful] theory?

  5. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    did you have dinner with Mummy Sidek? just kidding. Goosh, This is like saying football is more skillful than rugby vice versa.... (pls don start arguing this unless you play both sports at professional level)

    at the end of the day, there is simply not enough R&D in the stringing process. with all due respect to stringers, everything have moved on but many stringers still do what they did the first day they strung a racket. When asked to string at 24lbs, do you seriously think the end result you get at the racket face is 24lbs? there is no machine commercially available (that I am aware) to even check the string tension or its discrepancy. There are plainly too many influences from human factors.

    the take home message is if you enjoy your game, who care if there are 2 or 4 knots on your racket. If you can't progress, do not blame the racket!

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brampton, Ontario
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hello Dillon,
    I am originally from Singapore and now living in Canada. i am a stringer, 4 knots is a better balanced stringing technique. I do both, 2 knots is very very slightly imbalanced. No differerence. Some people prefer to see less knots.

    For me, i prefer 4 knots.

    Regards
    keng

  7. #24
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,447
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S.fusion View Post
    did you have dinner with Mummy Sidek? just kidding. Goosh, This is like saying football is more skillful than rugby vice versa.... (pls don start arguing this unless you play both sports at professional level)

    at the end of the day, there is simply not enough R&D in the stringing process. with all due respect to stringers, everything have moved on but many stringers still do what they did the first day they strung a racket. When asked to string at 24lbs, do you seriously think the end result you get at the racket face is 24lbs? there is no machine commercially available (that I am aware) to even check the string tension or its discrepancy. There are plainly too many influences from human factors.

    the take home message is if you enjoy your game, who care if there are 2 or 4 knots on your racket. If you can't progress, do not blame the racket!
    football is more skillfull than rugby! who are kidding?

    Rugby - you need 2 hands, 2 legs and a brain.
    Football - one leg and half of a brain.

  8. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    football is more skillfull than rugby! who are kidding?Rugby - you need 2 hands, 2 legs and a brain.Football - one leg and half of a brain.
    Lol....add to tht listFootball - knuckles, elbows, knees, teeth ......

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    my regular stringer likes 2knot system. Guess he likes the victor way.

    Then again he skips the second last cross at the bottom and he love hiding the knots. So on my nbg 98 strung rackets, it looks like there are no knots.

  10. #27
    Regular Member Blitzzards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    GMT-04:00
    Posts
    1,437
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ssgg007 View Post
    my regular stringer likes 2knot system. Guess he likes the victor way.

    Then again he skips the second last cross at the bottom and he love hiding the knots. So on my nbg 98 strung rackets, it looks like there are no knots.
    The Victor 2 knot method is actually one of the best 2 knot stringing patterns I have personally tried. It shows that even with the 2 knot method you can get close to the stability of the Yonex 4 knot method.

    But there is always a chance that your stringer is actually stringing your racquets starting from one side of the mains to the other side rather than going from the centre alternatively to the side as recommended by the racquet manufacturers. You will have to check that personally and physically see the stringing process to make sure he is not putting unwanted stress on your frame. People do that sometimes because it is the shortcut method and is simple and quick to do.

    As for hiding the knots you better watch out of the knot as if it too small and placed too deep inside the grommet hole there is a chance that it may slip through the hole.

  11. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was worried about the knot slipping through when I first had my racket strung by him. But it seems to holding up fine. I wouldn;t be using any strings less than 0.66mm thick though, so I don;t foresee any problems at the moment. Also, tension seems to be holding up quite nicely. which is very important for me since I only use 23/24 lbs and I rarely break string ( don't play or hit hard enough). I just like changing the string every half a year to ensure I get the most out of my rackets.

    He definitely starts from the middle, I saw a racket on the stringing machine before.

  12. #29
    Regular Member Blitzzards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    GMT-04:00
    Posts
    1,437
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ssgg007 View Post
    He definitely starts from the middle, I saw a racket on the stringing machine before.
    That is how a racquet should be strung properly, to prevent adding too much unbalanced stress to any part of the racquet.

    You are lucky that your stringer does not take the shortcut route by stringing from one side to another

  13. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default 4 Knots Vs 2 Knots

    I hope that discussion can go on a bit further - Simply I can see there is some misconception in the hotted debate-IMHO

    Like Longer the string further it stretch (the rubber band theroy) cannot accept - Not - by ratio doesn’t matter how long the string is, it will stretch at the same ratio


    1 Piece always have 1 tensioned knot and 1 non-tensioned knot - Not - 1 piece method can have both non-tensioned knots

    1 Piece always start in the side so the racket shape is distored - Not - 1 piece method can also start in the middle to maintain the shape of the racket

    4 knots is better than 2 knots - Not - Its all depends on the stringer not the method

  14. #31
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,479
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Dang! Between your knots and nots, I was getting all confused! But yeah, generally agree.

  15. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Main reason is because Yonex said so. So I follow them, saves clients complaining

  16. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I dont have the preference either (for all my client) - but for myself, I love 1 piece simply because I can use haribito method

  17. #34
    Regular Member johnlowe88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think with the older racquets and low tension, it didn't matter so much whether to use 1 piece or 2 piece stringing. I did go with 1 piece for a while many years ago, but now with the modern racquets and higher tension - I string according to manufacturers patterns. I have never broken a racquet while stringing, but I have heard that it does happen, and if the racquet was not being strung according to manufacturers instructions that they won't honour the warranty (assuming the racquet still carries a warranty).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. mx80 stringing 2 knots or 4 knots?
    By hypadunkz in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 1
    : 02-24-2012, 07:14 PM
  2. Knots, Knots, knots...
    By airsteins in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 2
    : 09-09-2008, 09:44 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    : 12-21-2006, 02:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •