Keeping Warm During A Tournament...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by xXazn_romeoXx, Nov 5, 2007.

1. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    i was wondering what people would normally do to keep warm during a tournament. What i mean by this is, when your match number is called, and you play , and your next match is not until maybe another 40 mins or higher, how would you keep warm and stay focused until your next game?

what i had in mind was just skipping, maybe shadow badminton, but that doesn't keep my focused or entertained as much...so what are other suggestions?

2. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    Wear a jacket and pants between games. Skipping and drills are good, but you will also lose energy by doing those. Keep stretching and wear warm clothing. EAT!!

3. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    wear a track suit or like track pants and a warm up jacket, make sure you dont stay seated the entire time that you get up and walk around, you can also do a bit of skipping in the hall to keep you warm and then do some lil warmup drills out in the hall inbetween your matches. Do it just so that you start to get warm then you can stop but you want to keep your muscles warm and mat sure they dont cool down to much or else it can get pretty bad for you when you do start to play again. Hum thats what i do like usually we will just do random stuff at tournys when i play but yeah i make sure to wear a trackpants and jacket when i get off court for sure and i have another match.

4. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I agree - track pants and hoodie. I tend not to sit if I have the play within the next hour, or sit only briefly.

5. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    tracksuit. walk around lots. if it gets colder, throw on a jersey. start jogging lightly around 20 mins before play. then warm up before each game.

6. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    You are pretty lucky if you don't have much more than a 40 min wait. When I played tournaments back in the day (20+ yrs ago), 2 or 3 hour waits seemed to be the norm. Can't really play any more cuz my joints won't tolerate waiting much longer than 30 mins these days. If I'm off the court for much longer than that, I might as well quit for the day (unless I can keep exercising).

See if you can get access to an exercise bike or some other cardio equipment at the tournament site. If you drive to the tournament, you might want to get a bike and a bike rack so that you can do some easy riding between matches.

To stay focused, you could try to find some higher level matches to watch. Often watching high level matches could rub off on you -- it could temporarily improve your performance when you get back on the court. Also, you might try watching some potential next-round opponents. See if you can pick out their strengths & weaknesses. Try to pick up on their tendencies. See if you can predict any of their shots.

Take a laptop computer with you to the tournament. You can download some decent badminton match clips (or instruction videos) from YouTube or there sources that you can watch while you are waiting for your next match.

7. timmehtong

timmehtong Regular Member

During a tournament. Warming up is really essential. You need to warm up completely before maybe 15 minutes when your event starts. During warm up wear sweat pants and have a sweat shirt ready to wear instantly after you're done. Once you warmed up completely you still have 15 minutes to go. I know this sounds weird, but you need to put your sweatshirt on and put the hood on. I know it's awkward, but to tell you the truth 80% of the body heat escapes through your head. To stay warm during this time you would wanna keep your hood on to stay warm and don't sit down. Stay standing or your legs are gonna start to revert. Also walk around as well. And if you win or lose a game you will either go up or go into consolation. So right after you finish the game. Put your sweat shirt and sweat pants on instantly. You wanna stay in a top form.