User Tag List

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
Results 477 to 493 of 520
  1. #477
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Malacca, M'sia
    Posts
    3,089
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laivc View Post
    Gillian Clark must be living in a very sad sad world of herself, obsessed with the success of LCW over any other Chinese players, be him LD or for now CL, which is by now a rarity. With LCW going thru' what Peter Gade went thru' a few years before his official retirement at Dec 12, Gillian Clark will be even a sadder person seeing there is no one in sight that will win the majority of honours ahead of the current and emerging flocks of talented Chinese players. A very long and sad year ahead for Mdm Gillian Clark looms in 2014.
    i think as with a lot of other people including myself, she simply wanted to have a badminton circuit with a more even distribution of good players from all countries. i don't blame her, she loves the sport and only wants the sport to grow internationally. plus, discounting gillian clark herself...i doubt anyone would be a worthy replacement as a badminton commentator....at least i haven't heard anyone as good as her. she really gives good insight on the game itself and sometimes tell us stuff we do not know about the players themselves.

  2. #478
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,398
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree that it gets a bit boring and is in some ways damaging to the sport when China wins everything. It's a bit like Redbull dominating the last 4 years of F1 or Man U winning everything in football (until now).

    It's great to see other nations pick up wins as well and keep China on their toes.

  3. #479
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    www.badmintonbetting.blogspot.co.uk
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by **KZ** View Post
    plus, discounting gillian clark herself...i doubt anyone would be a worthy replacement as a badminton commentator....at least i haven't heard anyone as good as her. she really gives good insight on the game itself and sometimes tell us stuff we do not know about the players themselves.
    I don't want to go off topic in the CL thread but I absolutely agree with this.

    Compare Clark to say one of the many soccer/ tennis commentators out there, she's miles ahead in terms of knowledge and passion about the game. Usually I get frustrated by the inept comments made in other sports, but never from GC. Yes, she's guilty of being pro-european players but can you really blame her for that? Maybe it's irritating for Chinese fans who watch.

    As KZ points out I don't think anyone would be a worthy replacement for GC right now and I hope to hear her for a few more years yet.

  4. #480
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Badmintonshire
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    I agree that it gets a bit boring and is in some ways damaging to the sport when China wins everything. It's a bit like Redbull dominating the last 4 years of F1 or Man U winning everything in football (until now).

    It's great to see other nations pick up wins as well and keep China on their toes.
    agree that other nations must work hard to pick up wins to make the sports more interesting... but not by non-sports means to limit China or any other dominating players...

    it is also boring to see LCW wins all super series and no other players able to challenge him except CL... but i will not suggest to limit LCW from doing so by non-sports means...

  5. #481
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is no problem at all for fans (including GC) to wish a more even distribution of good players from all countries. However, this wish should be achieved with the efforts in sport itself from the other countries and their badminton players. As a badminton fan, there is no problem to have personal bias, but as the offical commentor representing BWF whose voice is heard by millions of fans, personal bias against Chinese players just does more harm than good in promoting badminton sport. Chinese players are working hard to get the chance to demonstrate the best of badminton sport to the fans over the world. It is simple unfair for them to receiver personal emotions projected to them from BWF official commentators.


    Quote Originally Posted by **KZ** View Post
    i think as with a lot of other people including myself, she simply wanted to have a badminton circuit with a more even distribution of good players from all countries. i don't blame her, she loves the sport and only wants the sport to grow internationally. plus, discounting gillian clark herself...i doubt anyone would be a worthy replacement as a badminton commentator....at least i haven't heard anyone as good as her. she really gives good insight on the game itself and sometimes tell us stuff we do not know about the players themselves.
    Last edited by weiping_tx; 03-14-2014 at 02:28 PM.

  6. #482
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Malacca, M'sia
    Posts
    3,089
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weiping_tx View Post
    There is no problem at all for fans (including GC) to wish a more even distribution of good players from all countries. However, this wish should be achieved with the efforts in sport itself from the other countries and their badminton players. As a badminton fan, there is no problem to have personal bias, but as the offical commentor representing BWF whose voice is heard by millions of fans, personal bias against Chinese players just does more harm than good in promoting badminton sport. Chinese players are working hard to get the chance to demonstrate the best of badminton sport to the fans over the world. It is simple unfair for them to receiver personal emotions projected to them from BWF official commentators.
    i would only have a problem if she does it openly. but one cannot simply control emotions by will. and she doesn't do it openly. in fact, she has much praise for the many chinese players.

  7. #483
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I didn't notice GC's bias against Chinese badminton players until I started to watch Youtube badminton games commented by her as BWF commentator, and I am not the only one complaining about this, on the forum even in this thread. One example i can give about GC's biased commenting is that I heard many times in Youtube broadcast GC critized Chinese players for suggesting out of bound or celebrating victories before shaking hands with their oponents, but never heard similar comments against any non-Chinese players when they behaved similarly. GC did praised Chinese players sometimes, given there are so many outstanding Chinese players there, but her praises for non-Chinese players are usually much more affectionate and emotional.

    Quote Originally Posted by **KZ** View Post
    i would only have a problem if she does it openly. but one cannot simply control emotions by will. and she doesn't do it openly. in fact, she has much praise for the many chinese players.
    Last edited by weiping_tx; 03-14-2014 at 03:41 PM.

  8. #484
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    kl,malaysia
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    CL has put himself at the top of the badminton MS. he has many years of good badminton and even maybe become one of the great. He has match the strength of LCW already. But LD a bit far off. However, LCW and LD are a special breed of players not seen before. They constantly evolve their game. The AE in 2014 shows a bit more relaxed , a bit more purposeful LCW. There is a change in style of play. Remember how he changed his style in mid 2010 to a bit more attacking style and left everypne in his wake except LD? Now he has exhibit a change.

    For CL, just when he thought he had grasped LCW's game, there is a shift in the latters style. CL should not chase after LD or LCW shadows but developed his own game and make adjustment if need be. His game is still too predictable and in "beat LCW" mode so much so that he can sometime find it difficult to play other players in the circuit.

  9. #485
    Regular Member ant01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Has CL beat LD before? According to Gill he did in the China Games (2009?) but I can't find any record of it or video.

    Source - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UEwCUunbjI#t=1249

  10. #486
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Western Hemisphere
    Posts
    1,078
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Chen Long was featured in the latest edition of Badminton Unlimited. Alos featured was Viktor Axelsen. It is a pretty good show that should not be missed by badminton fans.


  11. #487
    Regular Member soulless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weiping_tx View Post
    There is no problem at all for fans (including GC) to wish a more even distribution of good players from all countries. However, this wish should be achieved with the efforts in sport itself from the other countries and their badminton players. As a badminton fan, there is no problem to have personal bias, but as the offical commentor representing BWF whose voice is heard by millions of fans, personal bias against Chinese players just does more harm than good in promoting badminton sport. Chinese players are working hard to get the chance to demonstrate the best of badminton sport to the fans over the world. It is simple unfair for them to receiver personal emotions projected to them from BWF official commentators.
    I agree that the official commentator should be not biased toward any country. But the problem with Chinese is not only it is dominating badminton circuit, but the wide disparity between professional badminton players. In China, the national team fund everything, whereas amateur players in most other countries work another job to support their dreams. China, though not the only one, is the epitome of government funded sports where kids are plucked at young age to attend subsidized sports schools and badminton becomes their only job. In Canada, our best players are amateurs. Paying for coaching and going to tournaments are very expensive. For me, I will always cheer on the amateur athletes, at least non government funded athletes, when they make it to the top. For that reason, I will cheer for European/North American players rather than Asian players because most Asian players are government funded. I don't really agree with government paying for sports performance in generate, travel expenses are fine, but wages are not.

  12. #488
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soulless View Post
    I agree that the official commentator should be not biased toward any country. But the problem with Chinese is not only it is dominating badminton circuit, but the wide disparity between professional badminton players. In China, the national team fund everything, whereas amateur players in most other countries work another job to support their dreams. China, though not the only one, is the epitome of government funded sports where kids are plucked at young age to attend subsidized sports schools and badminton becomes their only job. In Canada, our best players are amateurs. Paying for coaching and going to tournaments are very expensive. For me, I will always cheer on the amateur athletes, at least non government funded athletes, when they make it to the top. For that reason, I will cheer for European/North American players rather than Asian players because most Asian players are government funded. I don't really agree with government paying for sports performance in generate, travel expenses are fine, but wages are not.

    Goverment fund or not , the players still have to work hard. The students in Canada are all from government funded colleges. They still need to work hard to graduate.

  13. #489
    Regular Member soulless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laonong View Post
    Goverment fund or not , the players still have to work hard. The students in Canada are all from government funded colleges. They still need to work hard to graduate.
    Sorry, I did not catch your point? What does government funded colleges have anything to do with badminton? Governments all over the world subsidize education, not many subsidize sports the way China does. Are you talking about sports scholarships? I am sure they are not enough to allow a person to play badminton for a living and feed him/herself at the same time. In fact, my university does not provide a badminton scholarship.

    I also do not understand the "working hard" point. I were merely making the point that most non-asian players cannot afford to spend all their time playing badminton.

  14. #490
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soulless View Post
    Sorry, I did not catch your point? What does government funded colleges have anything to do with badminton? Governments all over the world subsidize education, not many subsidize sports the way China does. Are you talking about sports scholarships? I am sure they are not enough to allow a person to play badminton for a living and feed him/herself at the same time. In fact, my university does not provide a badminton scholarship.

    I also do not understand the "working hard" point. I were merely making the point that most non-asian players cannot afford to spend all their time playing badminton.
    He means that just because the government funds something, that doesn't mean the athletes don't have to work hard. At the end of the day, the athlete's success is determined by their own hard work.

    It is certainly true that government support can further the general success of a sport, e.g. China and sports like TT or badminton, but for any individual athlete, their success is determined by their own hard work. Government support is most important in producing a large number of good athletes rather than the success of any given athlete.

  15. #491
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laonong View Post
    Goverment fund or not , the players still have to work hard. The students in Canada are all from government funded colleges. They still need to work hard to graduate.
    Canadian colleges and universities are actually not funded by government, only K-12. There are however, scholarships to subsidize the cost of education. I think what soulless is trying to say is that most players around the world except for a few in countries such as China are given the opportunity to solely focus on their badminton career without having to worry about living expenses, education costs, training costs, etc... Compared to someone in Canada where they would have to worry about all those things on top of trying to reach the same level of play the Chinese players are playing at.

  16. #492
    Regular Member soulless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woffle View Post
    He means that just because the government funds something, that doesn't mean the athletes don't have to work hard. At the end of the day, the athlete's success is determined by their own hard work.

    It is certainly true that government support can further the general success of a sport, e.g. China and sports like TT or badminton, but for any individual athlete, their success is determined by their own hard work. Government support is most important in producing a large number of good athletes rather than the success of any given athlete.
    It is true that hardwork and individual motivation is a necessary condition for a successful athlete but time is a limited resource and you cannot manufacture time no matter how hard you are willing to work. Chinese badminton players just have more time to practice, that is a fact.

    I will always cheer for the Norwegian hockey players, Jamaican bobsledders, etc. I admire those who are willing to sacrifice other parts of their lives to pursue a sport knowing that they cannot be as successful as the top / well-funded athletes, but doing it for the love of the sport. I think government money should be better spent on providing better health care and education so that the poor can save more of their earnings and decide whether to pursue a sport as a passion, rather than as a way out of poverty by becoming a state-sponsored athlete.

  17. #493
    Regular Member volcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,599
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's top level sport and we want to see good games and for example not something like AUS vs Indonesia on the TV court and have the game finished in 15 minutes.

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What excuse will Chen Jin or Chen Long have in the semifinal?
    By Cheung in forum Hong Kong Open / China Open 2011
    Replies: 12
    : 11-18-2011, 11:45 PM
  2. Chen Long Shoes!
    By Perfektion in forum Clothing & Footwear
    Replies: 8
    : 10-29-2011, 12:47 PM
  3. Who is better Chen Long or Chen Jin?
    By lilyaks in forum China Professional Players
    Replies: 9
    : 09-20-2011, 06:29 AM
  4. FS/FT: LI NING FLAME N55 (used by CHEN JIN, WANG ZHENG MING, CHEN LONG)
    By psg007 in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 2
    : 06-05-2011, 06:09 AM
  5. who else want to see Chen Long win the HK open?
    By zerosum88 in forum China Open / Hong Kong Open / India GP 2010
    Replies: 46
    : 12-17-2010, 03:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •