User Tag List

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by volcom View Post
    It's top level sport and we want to see good games and for example not something like AUS vs Indonesia on the TV court and have the game finished in 15 minutes.
    True, I agree that for maximum entertainment we want to see the top players. Notice I only said that I would still cheer for the underdog. I am not against professional sports, only if the government is too involved. I think the Chinese Badminton Super League is a step toward the right direction to have the funding come from corporate sponsors and fans, and away from government coffers. Government involvement can also attract corruption, see the Chinese soccer league. I am also against government funding for sports stadiums which happens often in North America. I am not going to force my opinion on you, we will just respectively disagree on somethings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soulless View Post
    It is true that hardwork and individual motivation is a necessary condition for a successful athlete but time is a limited resource and you cannot manufacture time no matter how hard you are willing to work. Chinese badminton players just have more time to practice, that is a fact.

I will always cheer for the Norwegian hockey players, Jamaican bobsledders, etc. I admire those who are willing to sacrifice other parts of their lives to pursue a sport knowing that they cannot be as successful as the top / well-funded athletes, but doing it for the love of the sport. I think government money should be better spent on providing better health care and education so that the poor can save more of their earnings and decide whether to pursue a sport as a passion, rather than as a way out of poverty by becoming a state-sponsored athlete.
    I agree that those athletes who have to sacrifice more often have it harder, and to see them become top-level does make for a better story.

As a spectator, I'm interested in watching top-level sports, and individual political views or beliefs about what the government 'should' or 'shouldn't' be doing should factor into this. Quite honestly, state sponsorship of sports, in the entire space of options for government $$ to be 'better-spent,' occupies a very small portion of that sum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justheretoplay View Post
    Canadian colleges and universities are actually not funded by government, only K-12. There are however, scholarships to subsidize the cost of education. I think what soulless is trying to say is that most players around the world except for a few in countries such as China are given the opportunity to solely focus on their badminton career without having to worry about living expenses, education costs, training costs, etc... Compared to someone in Canada where they would have to worry about all those things on top of trying to reach the same level of play the Chinese players are playing at.
    Do you really think 6000 dollars for univ. Of Toronto and 3000 dollars for Macgill can cover your expense without government fund? Check tuition fee in any USA private university.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soulless View Post
    True, I agree that for maximum entertainment we want to see the top players. Notice I only said that I would still cheer for the underdog. I am not against professional sports, only if the government is too involved. I think the Chinese Badminton Super League is a step toward the right direction to have the funding come from corporate sponsors and fans, and away from government coffers. Government involvement can also attract corruption, see the Chinese soccer league. I am also against government funding for sports stadiums which happens often in North America. I am not going to force my opinion on you, we will just respectively disagree on somethings.
    government fund attract corruption? Hope you are not against Canadian public university, health care, public transportation, social insurance, .....

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope Chen Long can win tonight , already lost to Lee Chong wei in all england 2014?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laonong View Post
    government fund attract corruption? Hope you are not against Canadian public university, health care, public transportation, social insurance, .....
    I think you maybe doing this thing called 断章取义。 Government are needed to provide public and social goods such as roads, public schools, social insurance that would not be provided otherwise because the economics problems called free-riding and the 'tragedy of the commons'. However, when you have bureaucracy over things there will be chance of corruption because the lack of competition. We accept these risks because there are no better alternative to the government for provision of these services. However I don't see sports (professional athletes) as a public good that need to be funded by the government. So the the risk of corruption is not worth it.

Canadian government are not without corruption, but we rely on a vigilant media to hold officials in check. I cannot say the same for the Chinese media though I certainly hope it gets better.

Sorry for taking this thread off the conversation about Chen Long, I actually find him really enjoyable to watch. Nothing too fancy, and I would like to model my game after him. Best of luck!
    Last edited by soulless; 04-05-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Chen Long play , very smooth , he reminds me of 90s Sun Jun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laonong View Post
    Do you really think 6000 dollars for univ. Of Toronto and 3000 dollars for Macgill can cover your expense without government fund? Check tuition fee in any USA private university.
    Subsidized yes, but in no way do you get full payment for your studies by the government automatically. In the USA, if you are capable of earning a scholarship, it usually covers all your expenses throughout university (assuming you get a full scholarship). However the average person would most likely not get that full scholarship so in that respect, you are correct. If you were to play basketball and were really good at it, a school in the US would pay for everything as compared to a Canadian athlete who would have to pay part of it on their own. My point is that Canadian athletes have it tougher because even if you have potential, the government will assist in the cost for your training, but at the same time they don't help enough so athletes can't focus solely on training for a sport.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I have been watching Chen Long's matches and here it is mentioned on the first page in a number of comments. I would just like to clear this up:

Chen Long in NOT from Xiamen city, Fujian province. He's from Jingzhou city in Hubei province. He started training there as a boy until he was a teenager. Jingzhou city has bad relations with the Hubei provincial team so he (like many players from jingzhou) joined the Fujian provincial team.

That needed to be cleared up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Chen Long is heading for a free fall. Is this going to be the start of his decline or he will bounced Back? LCW had a free fall in 2006 but bounced back in 2007 and has never fallen since. Could CL do it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sonnymak View Post
    Looks like Chen Long is heading for a free fall. Is this going to be the start of his decline or he will bounced Back? LCW had a free fall in 2006 but bounced back in 2007 and has never fallen since. Could CL do it?
    No need to worry, CL is fine. He needs more time to tour Japan with WSX. China and Japan are edging to fight, they may not going to Japan next year if fighting begin.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chen Long, The Dragon, IS BACK ! Chen Long is The World Champion 2014 !

This hard-won victory, his first major title, one of the two most-coveted in badminton for any individual apart from the team championships - the other being the Olympic Gold - couldn't have come at a more propitious time, just when he needed it most. It marks an important turning-point in his career at age 26 now, indeed a significant breakthrough after a number of bitter disappointments - from the 2011 WC R1 shock loss to bronze at London Olympics 2012 to his defeat to Lin Dan at the QF stage of the 2013 WC to the heartbreaking fiasco at the Thomas Cup'14. That his redemption and ultimate victory came despite his two previous successive defeats at the hands of LCW before besting his archrival on this important occasion when it counted most at the final of the WC - is incomparably sweet and a resounding stamp of approval that he, Chen Long, has finally arrived. Henceforth, for the next 12 months, he shall get used to being rightfully addressed as The World Champion and savour it.

Post match at the first opportunity, this was what Chen Long wrote on his Tengxun weibo (microblog):" The first world championship gold - over the years, why do you always elude me ?! A strong heart, easily defeated by you, and then tears roll down my face. I know, the road to Rio is long and very hard but I will regret if I don't take it. Copenhagen, the new starting point of my dreams ! Men's Singles victory for sure!" - http://sports.qq.com/a/20140901/055756.htm (if my humble translation is not good enough, please feel free to improve upon it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He played excelently in the final. Some extraordinary points by both players. I wonder if Chen Long made even a single misstake!
    His matches with Son Wan Ho and Tommy was also a display of tactical elegance. A joy to watch, really.

Good to see him back in form, let's hope it stays that way for a while!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those who are curious about Chen Long's Chinese name (in simplified Chinese characters),

= sincere, faithful (traditional Chinese character )
    = Dragon (traditional Chinese character )

谌龙 = sincere,faithful dragon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Chen Long's game have been more interesting in recent months, somewhere around world championship onwards (must have taken a beating from Yong Bo since thomas cup flop).

The final in Asian Games against LD and Denmark against SWH has been nice to watch. He seems to attack more compared to few years back (i may be wrong since i seldom watch his match). He's not just in top form but in better form compared to early this year and last year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    For those who are curious about Chen Long's Chinese name (in simplified Chinese characters),

= sincere, faithful (traditional Chinese character )
    = Dragon (traditional Chinese character )

谌龙 = sincere,faithful dragon
    But since Chen is his last name, he would be sincere and faithful something regardless of his first name (it could be tiger, monkey or mantis. The guy can do no wrong.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30