How to improve backhand control

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by amaranth, Nov 6, 2007.

1. amaranth

amaranth Regular Member

Hi all, this is my first post

Is there any special training/exercise to improve backhand controls? Cuz I think my backhand control is weak...and it always be a disadvantage for me since the opponent can easily counter it real hard :confused:

Thanks before :)

2. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

Get someone to feed you with shuttles, and keep hitting.

3. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

But first make sure you're using the right technique :). No point practicing the wrong technique!

4. amaranth

amaranth Regular Member

Thanks UncleFester & phaarix

I'll try to get someone to feed me with backhand-hits shuttles..well I'll be needing some extra time since I can't stop playing when I'm in court :D

By the way phaarix, what do you mean by 'the right technique'? are there some standard techniques in doing backhand controls? like using which muscle and so on?

Thanks,

5. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Welcome to badminton central.

What do you mean by backhand control, for example what backhand shot r u referring too. Is it the backhand serve, drive or clear?

For the drive & serve, a backhand grip should be used, for the clear a forehand grip should be used. This allows more movement in the arm which means more power etc.

6. amaranth

amaranth Regular Member

Thanks gingerphil,

hm..I don't think my backhand serve is bad. What I haven't been able to do is to give a powerful backhand hits from my upper left side (I'm a right-handed), so the shuttle will be up high and far at back of the court --> what do you call that? is it drive or clear?

7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

For shots above shoulder height I would suggest you start with drops using a pulling action with the arm and body, ie, not a tapping action or too much rotation of the forearm. This will teach you the correct contact point before moving onto the faster rebound taps and whip actions. Get comfortable with the grip and footwork before trying to hit too hard.

Chasse- turn - contact.

In preparation your elbow will remain low with racquet head up.
    Grip - Thumb not flat on rear bevel but committed at an angle similar to a forehand universal grip.

Practice simple drops with footwork - groove this before trying to hit too hard!!

8. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    This is a backhand clear. A drive is when the shuttle is about chest height to head height. Anything higher should be taken either round the head which is a forehand shot where u stretch over to ur left side to hit the shuttle or you do a backhand clear.

Coachgary is right, work on a good backhand straight drop shot. Once this is perfected, u can work on a backhand cross court drop shot. The prob with the straight drop is it is very predictable but when u get good at it & can do the cross court, u can mix things up a bit :D

9. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

this is one thing someone taught me (don't know if it's a good exercise or not). assuming you're a right-handed player:

stand near the back court (maybe one-third back) and turn and face away from the net (your back to the net).
    kneel with your left knee but your right feet/leg is not kneeling (just standing/squating).
    pick-up the birdie with your racquet in your right hand on the right side, throw the birdie up witht the racquet and clear with your back-hand.

focus on turning your shoulder, then upper arm, then forearm, and snapping the wrist. this routine focuses the upper body motion when hitting a back hand. once u have this down, then you can stand up and bring in your waist and torso into adding more torq and power into your shot.

10. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    The best way to get better with a backhand, heck, with any badminton skill, is to get a coach, and have him/her help you out.

To clear, adopt the right grip, the face the back of the court, then use a whipping motion from your upper arm, and forearm, to whip the shuttle behind you. But keep practising; a backhand clear is still pretty hard to do consistently for a lot of people.

11. amaranth

amaranth Regular Member

Yes, I'm a right-handed. Wow..your method is kinda 'different'...have you tried it? did you find it effective? If so, I think I'll buy it :) Thanks anyway

12. amaranth

amaranth Regular Member

Yep, actually I'm more confident hitting with forehand. However, when playing single match, I'll be losing control for the right-side court if I'm using forehand hit for upper-left shuttles (cuz my body will be moving toward left-side court) ..yet, returning shuttle with backhand will give an advantage for the opponent due to my lack-of-power backhand :confused:

13. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i'd say start with a backhand drop first. then work on power later

14. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

it helps with the upper boddy mechanics. it helped me to focus on the series of motions to strengthen my back hand. to hit a really powerful backhand, i think u have to focus on the torq of your body AND the final snap of your wrist to hit it far. once you have the motion and snap, you can play with the angle of the hit to play drops and drives.

15. amaranth

amaranth Regular Member

Thanks for the advise coach! actually I've been able to do backhand net-shot for upper head shuttles - both straight and cross court. Power is what I lack of...when I tried to hit it hard, it always been a messed up :confused: (couldn't get a perfect backhand clear-shot)

16. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    work on timing. worry less about the power you generate, and more on getting a crisp, clear contact. power will come if you get your timing and stroke right.

17. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I totally agree. It's actually the same for almost every other shot like clears and smashes.

18. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Actually, the kneeling position takes most of the body rotation out of the movement. The idea behind this exercise is that the player develops the racquet control skills for the backhand first. The progression then goes:

• backhand while standing
    • 1 step then backhand
    • 2 steps then backhand then midcourt net shot
    • 3 steps then backhand then service line net shot
    • 4 steps then backhand then close net shot
    There isn't really any need for any more steps; most people can probably cover the court diagonal with four.

19. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

cool! thx for the extra info :)

20. vittorio790

vittorio790 Regular Member

Thats a good example of progression. I can do 1 step then backhand. Practising on 2 steps then backhand.

What do you mean by 2 steps then backhand then midcourt net shot? Do you mean after you move 2 steps back, then do a back hand then run forward to retrieve a midcourt net shot?