Training tips?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by JcCreativity, Nov 8, 2007.

1. JcCreativity

JcCreativity New Member

Hi, I am 17 and a B level player.
    Ok, let me explain my situation:

Ive started badminton 3 years ago and my progress, skill and consistency were improving at a steady speed. However, during my last year in high school i was cut from the school team because of my panhandling even though i can beat some of the team members. The coach then told me to change to proper grip and come back in January for Provincials. I then started to change my grip, the first 3 weeks were hell but i eventually got used to the proper grip and with 2 months remaining until tryouts again. Is there anything i can do to improve(a lot) in this limited time frame?

-sorry, i didn't know where this kinda post should go so i just posted it on here

Thanks,
    Jc

#1 JcCreativity, Nov 8, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Ya probably shoulda posted in the Techniques/Tips forum.

Don't abandon the panhandle grip completely. It has a number of effective uses in badminton. Just don't use it as your default grip or your primary grip.

Pick up your racket every day, maybe even several times a day and practice your swings even when you can't get out to the court. Keep the racket in your fingers fairly loose -- only allow the fingers to tighten when you accelerate the racket. As you finish each stroke, loosen up your grip again.

Swing the racket back and forth -- FH swing, BH swing, FH swing, BH swing...

Start with underhand strokes using the proper forearm rotation -- pronation & supination. Start off slow and then increase the speed of your swings. Use some upper body rotation (and a bit of hip rotation). At the finish of your FH swing, use this racket position as the starting point for your BH swing (and vice versa). You can also practice grip changes as go from FH to BH and back to FH.

Do the same progressions for side arm swings. Finally, work on your overhand swings. Practice your footwork off-court as well.

Try to get as much court time as possible in the next 2 months. Be sure to include plenty of drills along with game play.

Are you primarily a singles player or a doubles player? What do you think your current weaknesses are?

3. JcCreativity

JcCreativity New Member

ya thx, I'm a singles player... and as for the correct grip i pretty much got it alright now. My weakness is probably consistency. Ever since i changed grip my consistency was really random, sometimes i play normal, sometimes really good and sometimes bad.

4. icantdrive

icantdrive Regular Member

you should try practicing with the wall, your strokes would be more natural if you keep practicing, plus it's more convenient than going to clubs all the time

5. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    If you're a B player, how are you to be kicked off the team? Must be really intense competition up there.

6. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Yeah, I was surprised by that too. I figured that the B designation must be on a relative scale. A B level designation often refers to a player who is at a transition level from high intermediate to a more advanced level.

Even tho' you had indicated that you feel more comfortable with the changed grip, I had assumed that you had not been using much, if any, forearm rotation with your old panhandle grip. The practice swings that I had suggested should help you feel more comfortable with pronation & supination required for many types of strokes in badminton as well as becoming more proficient in switching grips easily while alternating between FH and BH strokes.

More court time, drills and games, should help develop your consistency. Are there particular types of strokes that are particularly troublesome? Forehand or backhand? Underhand, sidearm, overhead strokes? Lifts, clears, drops, smashes, etc?

Try some drills where you are hitting your shots at targets or to specific target areas. Notice the target but do not fixate on it -- instead watch the shuttle (or your contact zone) while visualizing your target.

7. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    i dont think ur a B player, i mean we understand what level you are because u are like using it relative to the players on ur team who are A and ur a B but someone who just migrated to the correct grip and 3 years of playing is not really a high intermediate/low advanced player, but thats okay we knew what u meant anyways. okay sorry about that here is my tips:
    do a lot of shadow drills!!! they are good for footwork and help familiarize with all your strokes and putting footwork and strokes together.
    also do a lot of repeating drills, i know it is boring after a bit but the best way to develop high short term development is high repetition! ask a fellow team member or coach or someone to do just clears, then just backcourt drops, then just net on net, then only smashes etc
    then the next couple practices later, start adding dimention and discission making skills, this will help develop high long term development. add crosscourt shots, but still stick to one shot, so crosscourt clears, crosscourt drops etc but all from various positions now, i would recommend getting a coach or high level player to do this so that the rally almost never stops and they all ways hit it in a appropriate spot, its hard to do this wen the other person sucks and they cant even send it to the right spot 100 times in a row. okay so you have 2 months left these should keep you occupied for about 2 weeks soo i will be back some time in 2 weeks and u can reply and give me some feedback and i can give u more tips,
    Martin

8. JcCreativity

JcCreativity New Member

apparently i was kicked off cuz i was panhandling and the coach thought i wouldn't be able to improve in some areas. There was only 8 uniforms for guys and it was the last our coach's last year so he wanted to go all out or something like that.

well, i think im a B level player becuz ive played B level tournaments and got up to semi finals etc and ive been participating in them for awhile now.

#8 JcCreativity, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  9. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Hopefully the new coach will recognize that you have the ability to play at a fairly high level and that you can beat players who may or may not have better stroke mechanics than you do. A good coach should be able to look past the flaws and really see that you have the ability to win matches.

It probably wouldn't hurt to mention to the new coach, without bragging, that you've done pretty well in B level tournaments and you know what it takes to win games & matches.

If you are still having consistency issues in 5 or 6 weeks, use what works best for you -- even if it means using the panhandle grip more than you should. Perhaps you might blend your new-found skills with some of the old flawed habits that work consistently for you. The time to radically change your strokes is after the season is over, not during the season and just prior to it.

10. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    well it doesnt really matter what level you are, but in the eyes of the coach you are a lower level just because of your technique, and its to bad, but really, it takes about 2 weeks tops to like get used to the right technique, but the time it takes to get really good depends on the player and how much you practice. i would convert now will you can, you have time.