Confused with the 21 point system

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by slimejocke, Nov 10, 2007.

1. slimejocke

slimejocke Regular Member

Student
    With the new 21 point system, are the serving positions still the same? Even points still always served on the right?

2. afham07

afham07 Regular Member

Student
    even point will serve from right, odd point will serve from left. :).

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    The serving order for doubles can be particularly perplexing, especially if you forget to add the side-out point. There is a very specific serving order that should be maintained throughout each game (below). Remember that even tho' you have an even (right) court and and odd (left) court, you no longer have an "even" server and an "odd" server for rally scoring.

Doubles serving order

The serving order in the example above will always be: A-D-B-C
    (Note the initial receiver, C, is always the last server in the rotation)

4. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

That document makes it unnecessarily long to explain. ;)
    The serve always take place on the rally winner's score side.
    As afham07 clearly points out, if rally winner has even point, he serves from the right. If he has odd point, he serves from the left.
    No confusion for doubles, you just need to keep track of the score :p

5. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    I don't think that document is unnecessarily long at all. It is supposed to be a supplement (not a replacement) to Law 11 (Serving & Receiving for Doubles). The IBF added it to the statutes because so many ppl were confused about Law 11.

A little more than a year & a half ago, a couple of players we were playing with asked us to try out rally scoring for our doubles games. We hadn't read the details so we asked them to walk us thru it. After we played the 1st game, I remarked that I didn't believe that their interpretation could possibly be correct (since there was no apparent serving order at all with their understanding of the new rules).

I looked at Law 11 afterward and found it rather confusing at my initial readings. From what I read, it was obvious that the guys that we were playing with had it wrong. However, I was still pretty fuzzy about the details. The IBF did not have that supplemental document at that time. However, I did find it on an Indian site. After reading some of that document, Law 11 made a lot more sense.

Now rally scoring serving/receiving order seems fairly simple to me even tho' we usually use the old classic scoring system. But it is still a challenge to keep the order correct if we have long rallies (cuz sometimes we forget that the score was or who was serving). Ppl are very still very baffled when I introduce the new system to them. It takes many ppl quite w hile to catch on

6. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

For some, the confusing aspect in Doubles may come from the fact that you tend to forget in which position the players were before the rally started, especially when you win the rally from your opponent who just served. So that mixes things up, ending with the same server even after winning serve from opponent.
    But serving from the odd or even side is pretty easy.
    In all honesty though, I prefer the old scoring.