Coming to indonesia to train.. but need help.

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by ksrboi, Nov 11, 2007.

1. ksrboi

ksrboi Regular Member

Lawyer
    Hi everyone. Im a student that is 19 years old. I would like to come to indonesia to train for mens doubles because I feel like badminton is the only thing I want to do in life. If I don't play I feel sad. I want to improve to be the best that I can be. I am thinking of training for 2 years in indonesia but I need help on a few key subjects. 1st - I would like to know what are the best camps or places to train for mens doubles as I'm only interested in that. 2nd - How expensive is it to train in indonesia in rupia, as I can convert money. 3rd - Where are the cheapest possible places to stay?
    Thank you highly appreciated, if I get the right information I will be moving in 6-7 months. Hope I'm not too old to train.

#1 ksrboi, Nov 11, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  2. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    Go to Surabaya city at Suryanaga Badminton Club on. Kertajaya Indah Street.
    Price not too expensive, about Rp. 400.000.-/ month

3. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

Don't go to Surabaya, Don't listen Sifuyono, better go to Jakarta. :D:D:D :p

Suryanaga is one of the well-known club in Indonesia, there are several good club such as Jaya raya in Jakarta, Elektrik in Bandung if I am not wrong.
    I know Richard mainaky is also couching in one of the club in jakarta, if you are interested I will find out more about it. He is now couching XD for Indonesian player.

4. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Some club doesn't want to train such a foreigner.
    But in Suryanaga, you're welcome. Many international player, specially woman single player, have some coach at Suryanaga.
    Suryanaga known as Sony Dwi Kuncoro training club.
    If you're in Jakarta, you'll find it's hard to get the cheapest place to stay due to high cost living. But in Surabaya, at least you can play against me to prove your training improvement.

5. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Hi ksrboi,

Ok, this is my opinion... if you are a 19 year old student now and you are not a badminton pro yet, then I strongly urge you not to abandon your studies in favor of badminton MD yet... Instead, spend 1-2 months first to know better what to expect out of pro-badminton and the level of competition you will be facing...

First of all, world-class badminton gamesmanship is extremely difficult to attain even for the extremely talented. 6+ hours of skill & endurance disciplined training per day is not for everybody. The physical and mental strain in the process of becoming a top-level player can dampen the initial enthusiasm of all hopefuls...

Second, ...since you are a Canadian who has ambitions in MD, you probably need to get a Canadian MD partner. You need him to consistently practice and compete together. The Candra Wijaya-Tony Gunawan formula only works for them because they are very familiar with each other's game after decades of playing together.

Third, badminton is financially rewarding only if you are a top-notch world competitor [preferably both in MD and XD]... while in the meantime there has to be a strong financial backup for the training and travelling expenses... Overall, if one is not successful in badminton MD, does he have a backup plan for his future livelihood?

My suggestion for you is to try training in one of the INA clubs for 1 or 2 months first before commiting to 2 years of training... I can recommend the Djarum club's MD training camp in Jakarta for this. Djarum is the club that produced at least one medal per Olympic for INA since 1992, the club of Liem Swie King, Christian Hadinata, Ardi Wiranata, Alan Budikusuma, Eddy Hartono, Gunawan, Sigit Budiarto, Eng Hian, and Luluk Hadianto... Their team manager is Fung Permadi [former world top MS player], who can be reached at fung.permadi@djarum.com

Other INA clubs that offer badminton programs are: Suryanaga Surabaya [the club that produced Sony and Alven], Jaya Raya Jakarta [Markis Kido, Hendra Setiawan, Susi Susanti, Mia Audina], Tangkas Jakarta [Liliana Natsir, Nova Widianto, Ricky-Rexy], Mutiara Bandung [Christian and Ivana Lie when they were young], and SGS Bandung [Taufik, Flandy, Hendra AG]... I don't know their emails or phone numbers, sorry... :eek:

Another option for you in getting high-level badminton training is to go to Malaysia... Kuala Lumpur Racket Club [KLRC] -that has a website and the most commercial for non-Malaysians-, Nusa Mahsuri [not too familiar with Roslin's club], and Han Jian's Badminton Academy [very very good, I heard]...

#5 Krisna, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
    ainchekar and Cheung like this.
  6. renly

renly Regular Member

very good advise. kris
    but most likely this kid came from the family with good financial so he willing to sacrify 2 year of his life only to learn bulutangkis.

ksrboi
    i would say you need about USD 25000-30000 a year that included equipment. imagine this, you buy a banna for $0.25 but in indo you could get 2 lbs for $0.25. and $100 for room rent.
    good luck and go for it.

love the game

7. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Good piece of advise and I think the OP should seriously consider before you plan the move.

Mind that badminton is a minority sport in Canada, the funding from our government alone will not able to keep you as a full time badminton player. In additional, does Canada has the level of competition that will help you to improve after your training from Indo??

I still remember all my dreams when I was age 19, but things does change drastically when you get older.

Anyhow, good luck and all the best! I admire your passion toward badminton and hopefully one day I will see your name on the Canadian newspaper of you winning the Olympic Gold. :D

8. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

USD 25000 is way way too much,
    1 year u need usd 1500 for rent a room
    usd 1000 for equipment
    usd 3000 for food, if u eat 3 times a day
    usd 3000 for shopping
    Total about USD 10000/ year:)

But u could also spent USD 25000/ year if you::eek:
    1. change and buy the racket every week
    2. eat everyday at Sheraton hotel
    3. spent the night and sleep at Shangrilla hotel

So.... u wanna train or take vacation and wasting some money??:confused::D:D

9. renly

renly Regular Member

before you go to indo you must do some research about everything, food, transportation, housing, weather and shopping.
    you are from north america eventhough you might be asian but your life style is different with 3rd world country. i have the list you might need to know.

studio apartment $250/m unless you want to stay in a small room
    food /supplement $500/m cheaper if you eat rice & fish daily
    transportation $500/m buy own car cost more
    membership $ 50/m
    training fee $200/m profesional/private coach
    shuttlecocks $400/m base on 2tubes
    daily*5days =10tubes*$10/tubes=$100*4weeks=$400
    string $100/m base on own stringing machine
    rq $400/m 2 broken rq/m

total $2000/month

remember, indo has Mcdonald,Pizza Hut,KFC, movie theater and cable, cheese cake factory,

god luck, and go for it

10. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

then, you can have me to take care your life in here with max. USD 10.000/ year.
    2 broken racket/ month??? You wanna play badminton or kungfu??

USD 2000/ month????, i think it's better for you to build your own badminton club in here, rather than training...

11. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    An INA pro player training-living-and-travelling expense can go up to $25,000 per year... Plane tickets and foreign hotels cost the most... Around $18,000 can be spent on this. Depending on your destinations...

12. renly

renly Regular Member

think about 6 to 8 hours training 5 days a week and you must play in the tournament to measure up how much you improved and what is your weaknesess. you r train to be a pro not a club player. you have to have good equipment to go with your training.

go for it
    badminton lover

13. risingsun

risingsun Regular Member

unemployed
    hi,

can you tell me if this information is still valid?

I am interested in coming too jakarata for 1month too train in singles and doubles badminton.
    If anyone can give me some information on a way i can go about obtaining information too make a booking for some training too improve my standard hopefully quite alot :)

Thanks

14. HARRSHIT

HARRSHIT New Member

student
    I am 16years old and I am a singles player.I want to train under jayaraya academy in indonesia . I was wondering if youll could help me get their contact number or email id so I could talk to them about the coaching.

15. risingsun

risingsun Regular Member

unemployed
    Can you speak Indonesian that's the question?I can put you in contact with Tangkas which is in Jakarta (Grenville)

16. HARRSHIT

HARRSHIT New Member

student
    Can you give me their e-mail id I can communicate like that.

17. HARRSHIT

HARRSHIT New Member

student
    Do you know of what level player they have in tangkas and of what age category.And of what level players do they take in their academy.I was ranked 6 in India.

18. HARRSHIT

HARRSHIT New Member

student
    Can you also suggest some other good badminton training centre in indonesia where there is professional badminton training??I want to train in indonesia for about 3-4 months.Can you tell me the name of the taufik hidayat training centre and whether it is good for youngsters or not??:confused:

19. HARRSHIT

HARRSHIT New Member

student

Please can you give me the email-id of jayaraya or tangkas??????

20. nas95

nas95 New Member

Student
    just go to suryanaga :D