Cost of Living VS Rackets' price

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by Simon, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Simon

Simon Guest

Can someone provides me some general information between earning and rackets' price. In general, it takes 8 to 12 working hours from a "NEW COLLEGE GRAD" in US to purchase a Ti10. My friend told me it takes about 3 days to 1 week of earning in HK. What about your country?

2. Bok

Bok Guest

Hi Simon,

In Manila, Philippines it's going to be this way:

A. Minimum wage per day is P250; regular worker will earn P6000 a month if he/she works 6 days a week.

B. But if you have better qualifications and you get accepted for a 'higher paying' job with more responsibilities you may get paid P10,000 a month for starters.

Assume the Ti10 racket is US$100, that's P5100 in Phil peso as our current exchange rate to the US$ is P51 to US$1.

If Worker A saves P1000 per month, he needs to work 5 months to buy the racket. He/she can also buy it outright - but he'd have nothing left!

Worker B may have more excess income, so let's assume he can spare P2000 a month - he'll just need 2.5 months to buy it or he could just buy it outright. But that means half month's pay!!

There's also the credit card facility which allows buyers more elbow room to spend - but the sum of it is that the Ti10 racket is nearly one month's pay for someone who has just started earning wages in the Philippines.

Bok

3. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

A student from india has to invest 2 months of Income to Buy a Ti 10. I have to tell u that the Ti 10 is very cheap here too compared to other countries.

I guess racket prices aer way cheaper compared to most places in the world but teh cost of living is also the poorest.

That is the biggest problem!

4. Simon

Simon Guest

The minimun wage in the States is about $ 6, and Ti10 costs about $170+ in United States.

5. Schumacher

Schumacher Guest

A student who just finished college in Singapore will be able to buy a Ti-10 in 3-4 days. :)
    Cost abt S$145 = abt US $100

6. Bad Man

Bad Man Guest

Why do we compare with Ti 10 ? Please do not tell
    me that because this is Badminton forum.
    Why don't you compare with bread or milk ?

7. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Bad Man,

You've provided a simple and fitting answer to your own question, even if you don't want it as a response. The same reason why we aren't comparing health care quality or the reasons that gasoline prices fluctuate so widely from one country to the next - we are all badminton fans, so what else should we compare, other than racquets?

Simon is comparing the Ti-10 because it is an expensive, top level racquet that also seems to be very popular around the world. Many of the Badminton Central readers either have this racquet or discuss purchasing it in a fairly offhand sort of fashion as if buying the second most expensive racquet on the market would be an inconsequential purchase. I also have wondered about this very same issue that Simon is raising - what is the relative cost of a very expensive Yonex racquet to the typical badminton player in other countries?

I was under the impression that the cost of badminton racquets, relative to each country's economy, would be cheaper in a lot of the Asian countries, but it does not appear to be the case. It looks like the cost of a Ti-10 would be a smaller percentage of a badminton player's monthly, after-tax income in the U.S. than elsewhere, so maybe us Americans need to quit whining about the high cost of badminton equipment here.

These comparisons make me think that when someone new to the forum asks the "What reasonably priced racquet should I buy?" question, those two or three nerds who always respond "Ti-10!!" or "MP-100 is the best!!" must be very spoiled little badminton nerds indeed.

Notwithstanding that racquets may not cost that much for Americans on a relative basis, I am still balking at the idea of paying more than US $100 to $125 for a racquet. $170 just seems way, way too high. The players in the two leagues I play in regularly are not equipment-obsessed the way most of you BC regulars are - my AB 900 is probably the third most expensive racquet I have seen anyone use (first and second were ISO 900 and a Ti-7) - so perhaps their common sense approach to the sport has rubbed off on me.

8. Schumacher

Schumacher Guest

Totally agree with u Brett. A lot here recommend the top-end models cos they're most probably students and don't have to pay for the rackets through work. Parents $$ i guess.

9. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Schumacher, errata there. US$1 ~= SG$1.81 now !

Its less than US$90 to get the Ti-10 in Singapore.

A fresh university graduate will take about 1.5 days to buy 1. ( Assuming income of SG$2000 a month and 22 working days a month.)

10. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    high school student in Canada...
    4 days to be able to buy a ti10.
    but it takes either a week or 2 to get the paycheck anyways, so realistically speaking, it takes one or 2 weeks.

11. Simon

Simon Guest

Thank You for all your input.
    Ti10 costs about US$120 in Germany, but the German pay more tax than American and the Canadian. Their take home pay is less. So it is about the same!

12. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    good observation

13. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    So we got a very good deal over here then ? My yearly income tax comes out to be less than 1% of my income( after decuctions that is) !

Though it costs me 2 years salary to own a 1.6 litre saloon and about 9 years salary to won a 105 square metre, 99 year lease house !

14. YewTeePlayer

YewTeePlayer New Member

COL vs Rackets

Looking at the comparisons stated, I have a set of comparisons for all of u..
    (US$1 = S$1.75)

> Cost of Living (depending on where u buy)

A Can of Coke = S$0.80 to S$1.50
    McDonald Cheese Burger = S1.50
    20 sticks Marlboro = S$6.30 (if i'm not wrong)
    Tube of Pringles = $2.20 to $3.20
    Mercedes S200 = >$150,000
    4 rm 90 sqm public flat = S$180,000 to $300,000

I bought my Yonex Carbonex 5000 DF for $34.90 at Sportslink. That's 23 Cheese Burger for u...

15. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Re: Re: Cost of Living VS Rackets' price

mp100 is about 250 + tax = $290

At 6.50$/hr thats 45 hours, which is one work week and half a day.
    At 18$/hr, that about 3 days.

16. bigredlemon

Re: COL vs Rackets

McD cheese burger 69 cents on tuesdays, $1 on other days i think. So a Ti 10 will be about 250 to 360 cheese bugers. Hmm... i should buy more cheese burgers!

17. bigredlemon

What's the tax rate in Germany? I always though that tax was higher in Canada if you factor in all the compound taxes (up to 47% tax when get money, and 15% tax when you spend it)

18. bigredlemon

I guess we should factor in both income tax and sales tax before we compare prices, since the tax is included in some countries, while it's not in others.

BTW: gas is 30 cents/liter in canada, with 40 cents/liter tax i think or something like that, so you can't consider just the pre-tax price on everything.

19. LinuxGuy

LinuxGuy New Member

Don't waste time just compare using price comparison engines

Many price comparison engines like www.PriceComparison.com are worldwide and they can compare product prices accross multiple currencies. Obviously it is usualy cheaper to buy product at poorer countries but the point is how much is it worth when converted back to dollars...

LinuxGuy