selfish partners?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Terry Kil, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Terry Kil

Terry Kil Regular Member

how do you guys deal with partners in doubles who constantly try to hit the birdie, even when it clearly easier for you to hit it. I'm a beginner to the game, so I'm not sure as to what is considered rude or not. I tried to ask the guy repeatedly what formation he wanted to play and I tried to let him know as much as I could that he was hitting the birdie when I had the much easier shot. Sadly, at the club I go to, there arent that many beginners, and hes also a beginner, so its hard to find other players with similar skill level. Perhaps I should just be rude to him as well? Thats the only thing I can think of doing

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Being rude back to him might be satisfying but ultimately fruitless.

If your levels are similar, then

1. He loves playing, so he's hogging it
    2. He's misjudged his own ability and the shot at the current situation
    3. He is not good positionally - this requires playing time together
    4. He underestimated you, hence not being trusting

Fixing this will require both upgrades in your playing abilities as well as positional skills, so take it easy.

3. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    well maybe you could tell a higher-level player to watch, and make him advise your partner to leave certain shuttles that have passed him. That should probably be more convincing for him if he doesn't listen to you. Sometimes it might be misjudgement, not selfishness...:)

4. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

If he's also a beginner, probably he doesn't realise what he's doing

5. MammyPoKo2K

MammyPoKo2K Regular Member

Lin Dan Personal Coach
    Just let him 1 vs 2, you stay behind watch show.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Call for your shots - this happens at the highest levels. Also, shout "sides" when defending, just to prompt him into the right formation. I played a match with two beginners earlier this week, and it was dreadful - but they were willing to learn:eek:.

7. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

Sounds like he doesn't know/realise what he's doing.
    To be fair, he should be 'told' and pointed in the correct direction by the more 'established' players in the club.
    He might listen, learn and be ultimately grateful.
    If he doesn't, then fair enough, at least someone tried...

8. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Do lots of wrist training and push yourself to next level then partner with someone who actually knows how to play.

9. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    This here is your one absolutely correct solution to your problem... until you become a better player, you will most likely be playing with a group of players whom don't know what to do in most situations.

Once you get better, then you can play with a better group... but then don't stop there, as there is still a good chance that if you are not really 100% close to the "better" level, you will be considered as the one who doesn't really know what he is doing.

So, the bottom line is that in order to truly enjoy the game of badminton, long term improvement is necessary.:cool:

10. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

There are few general guideline when comes to double formation. Such as split left and right when playing defensive mode, and front and back when you're in attacking position.

You can easily find these information on this forum and you can share it with your partner the next the you guys play.

Good luck.

11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Beginners.. they always tend to stay around the middle, dont they ? Whether you're attacking, or defending. It takes time to get used to these situations, but you'll be changing from back-and-front to sides without even thinking, and your body will automatically react to the different situations. :)

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    If he's a beginner, and he knows you're a beginner too, he won't listen to you as you don't have the 'authority' to advise him. This much is pretty natural.

13. Terry Kil

Terry Kil Regular Member

looks like there isnt much I can do then other than to also not listen to him

14. punchclear

Don't let this character get you down. There's loads of people like that who'll bug you in life. Don't let 'em own you, or run your life...
    If you wanna enjoy your badminton, work on bringing your game to the 'next level', which will bring better partners...
    Easier said than done, but this really IS about you. So... Make it Happen. :)

15. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    challenge him in a single match!hehe..

16. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    That would establish the dominance and superiority of the winner but scarcely any help to their teamwork though.

17. Terry Kil

Terry Kil Regular Member

what do you mean exactly? that I should focus on improving my game and not listen to him/care about him at all? that is the attitude I have

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Move on to other players. Most players have a fixed mentality of playing doubles. Your objective is to find partners who are at least knowledgeable in doubles rotation. BTW, do not ever ask your partner what formation you should play... before a game. It is pointless. You won't learn much. Why bother when your game shows what you know already? Different formations for different phases of the rally, not different styles or personalities. If you want to ask questions, ask better questions and ask players whom you think are experienced and in good authority to answer your inqueries. Don't waste time with someone who is equally clueless.

If you're a beginner to the game, just focus on hitting the shuttle and having fun. Save the serious stuff later for practice and coaching lessons.

19. punchclear

:)Good!
    I think you're on the right track...:):)
    I see you're also upgrading your racket... That'd help (but keep your old one... possibly for use as a power trainer)...:):):)
    Keep at it and you'll get your just reward...:D:D:D