badminton and squash - not mixing well..

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by frankcent, Nov 16, 2007.

1. frankcent

frankcent Regular Member

I have been playing badminton competitively for 3 years now. Last month I tried squash and it was very easy for me to get into and after many sessions, I was even able to beat my friend who introduced me to this game. It is a very intense sport and requires a great physique and really trains cardio too. I found that footwork can be greatly applied to squash. This week, I played squash on monday, wednesday and friday (today) and badminton on tuesday and thursday. On thursday, when I played, I found that my shots were off, my backhand was weak and it felt completely awkward and unnatural. I used to be able to execute backhand clears with no problem and yesterday I was more like trying to kill the invisible fly with my badminton racquet. Now, I have a dilemma. I already invested in a good squash racquet but I don't want to mess up my badminton form at the same time..

does anyone have similar experience?

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    B4 i started playing badminton, I was a relatively good tennis player, started when i was 11 & played every summer til about 19 or 20. Only prob about it was could only play in summer & always played wit same 2 guys which got a bit repetitive.

When i started badminton, i found it hard to hit any shots overhead, timing was off but a lot of the guys were telling me i was playing a lot of tennis shots which rn't gud in badminton. I stopped playing tennis, just badminton, game has cum a long way.

The prob is even though squash, tennis & badminton r al racket sports & they seem the same, they r not, very different. positioning, footwork, way to hit object etc. My advice would be to pick 1 & play the other 1 occasionally but thats just me.

Good luck anyway :D

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Give it time. Even though there are undoubtedly many similarities as well as differences between the 2 sports, it takes your muscles to become accustomed to those differences. Your body also needs a bit of time to learn the timing diffs -- particularly since the racket weights are so different.

It might take a few months to be able switch easily between the two but it can be done and will undoubtedly be worth the effort. After a while, you may find that the 2 sports even help each other.

I've only played squash a few times, but have heard of others who switch between badminton & squash quite easily. For me, I have no trouble at all transitioning between tennis, badminton & racquetball. I can easily play 2 different racket sports on the same day (within 30 minutes of each other).

It gets to the point where it is like switching from singles to doubles play. Or switching from feather to synthetic shuttles. At first, the shuttle switch was daunting, but now the transition is nearly instantaneous & seamless.

4. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

I stop playing squash because it ruins my badminton strokes.