Do u prefer 15 points rule or 21 points rule?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Smichz, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Since i mainly play double,from 15 to 21 points rule,at first i was ok..for about a year.Then,I just realized for a minute,n when i watch the doubles matches.

For me,21 points r much faster than the 15..in terms of the match time played.But there's disadvantage for us as the spectator.21 points requires players to be more concentrate,making less error.It's just funny to see small errors brings loss of points.That's ok though..but what i really miss is that the dynamic of the doubles games is gone since it's changed to the 21 points rule.No more smashing n defense like before.Now,it has changed to giving less high ball for opponents to smash.While back then,players r more to make them as a challange,to make the opponents exhausted.
    And also,21 points games ends too soon.Sometimes when i play 21 points,it ends too fast to get me hot!

Somehow if judged from the single,i prefer 21 points match.It's one to one match.So,they have to put out the best of themselves during that short match.We r not longer see lots of players got exhausted during the 2nd half,or the 3rd one.More n more great techniques were performed.

Comparing both to see 21 or 15 points matches,i prefer to watch 15 points for doubles,n 21 points for single.

How about u?how did u see this?

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I agree with service point to 15 for double, rally point to 21 for singles. rally points are waaay too fast for doubles, but fit singles better. That being said, 15 points in singles can take a long time because if you reach a stalemate where the two sides keep losing serves, it becomes difficult to reach 15 points.

3. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

playing with the more competitve bunch? 21.
    playing with friends who play for "fun-fun" bunch? 15.

21 speeds up the game pace with the better and more competitive players. not to mention tournaments we join are played with 21 anyway. so why play with what we don't compete with?

15 with the beginners and play for fun super-rec players allows the game to go a bit longer, not to mention most of them can't keep track of the new rules well enough anyway.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

My "serious" club has just been forced to resume the old rules after a vote by the committee, and my "fun" club still play the 21 rules, so I'm in a nice position to judge.

The 21 rules lead to unavoidably shorter games, but they do serve to punish mistakes more than the 15 rules, so I find I put a lot more effort into serving (and, indeed, playing points on our serve).

The 15 rules regularly lead to 30 min games at my "serious" club, but we're all of such consistent standard that rallies are always very long and closely contested. Serving does tend to be somewhat more lax, though.

I hated the 21 rule when it first started, and I hated the 15 rule when we first switched back to it, but now I can see the benefits of both. My preference...? 21: the game is shorter so you can afford to be more physical in the rallies.

5. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    there's a thread for this already lolz don't have the link at the moment, but i think the OSS is ahead by a bit lolz

6. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
  7. nluciano94

nluciano94 Regular Member

Still Searching
    Fact is many still prefer the old scoring system. However, we have to understand badminton is also a business.

Let us find ways to enjoy the game whether it's 21 or 15.

8. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    the 21 point rules forces me to stay on alert point for point~ 15 point system lets me try out stupid stuff when we have the serve. I definately prefer the 21 point system.

9. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    For me: 15 point is better, a chance to chase whenever your opponent point is. Last longer playing time, make stamina more and more drained.

10. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

I never play 21 points rule, I think is gonna be so fast to an end.
    Me like 15 point rule, anything can happen, last longer, etc etc.

In 21 points rule, if you have lead with many point, you sure win.
    On the other hand, if I am not wrong, Lim swie king fought back and won even his opponent lead 14-1.

11. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

That way you should at least try the 21 points system before to conclude that the OSS is better.

I have fought back from 12-20 to 22-20, so a come back is also possible maybe just a slimmer chance. In the other hand, it also make a come back more exciting than ever.

I agree with many others that NSS make single a better game while double get shorten too much. But instead of switching back to the OSS, maybe we can increase the winning score from 21 to 31 on double games?
    Just a thought.;)

12. shaoyut

shaoyut Regular Member

21 because 15 is too short and i dont get tired

13. 14players

14players Regular Member

Engineer

.....prefer 15 becos the old hag still doesn't like to change:crying:

14. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    whoa the ultimate doubles match....3 games of 31...and the ultimate has to be 40-39, 39-40, 40-39 o_O...imagine how long it would be?!...in the last super series (The French Open)....the WD match between a japanese pair and Lilyana/Marissa lasted nearly 2 hours.....2 HOURS!! it was 1:47...and they games weren't even 30-29...and you're telling me a good thing would be to switch to 31 points?! when will the madness end?! the athletes would die :eek:...lolz i'm being sarcastic...but ya ;):p:D

15. TangentZ

TangentZ Regular Member

I think 21 rally points system is good for both singles and doubles. I like faster games and I can also have enough stamina to play with more people. Every point counts, so you don't get "stuck" in stalemate situation like the 15 point service point system. i.e. each side keeps losing serves without winning points...

16. amaranth

amaranth Regular Member

Can't agree more... 21 for singles and 15 for doubles

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I don't care what the scoring system is.

We still use the same court, the same rules, the same rackets, and the same shuttles. It's the same game, except the length of games is less variable, and the singles scoring is fairer (old rules give a clear advantage to the first server).

It's difficult to remember the scoring rules at first, but you soon get used to them.

I think some people develop a psychological "block" over the new rules: they convince themselves that it's harder, that they could play better with the old rules; and so they think themselves into a bad psychological state.

#17 Gollum, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  18. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

I like the 21pt rule for doubles. keeps it competitive and pushes you to attack.
    But for single games, I still like the 15pt rule because if the opponent gets around more than 3points ahead, then it's really hard to come back.

19. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

My group and I sometimes take the best of both systems and play 21 points with second serve. It allows both a good doubles game and LOTS of endurance training

20. amaranth

amaranth Regular Member

It's not harder, but faster. On the contrary, I think 21 scoring system is easier since points can be gained from opponents' mistakes.