2008 Green Olympics? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by **KZ**, Nov 20, 2007.

1. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LGW75qkpcQ

See for yourself...I don't hate Chinese or China...in fact i am a Chinese Malaysian and my ancestry is from China itself but when I go to China and see so much inappropriate behaviour I often become ashamed. A lot of times these ppl inflict a lot of pain on animals without thinking about their agony and suffering....beating some animals like dogs or cats before slaughtering them is a good way to tenderise their meat according to them...and we've all heard bout how they eat monkey brains....yes China is one of the fastest growing nations globally now....but these kind of behaviour really make me sick. I went to China and have seen a lot and a lot of bad behaviour...mostly from salesmen or saleswomen...2 people selling the same product and I bought from one the other got jealous and they fought and fought and when I went back to the same place after like 2 hrs they were still quarreling...some of you may think that I can't judge a country based on what I see for once....but I've seen these type of things happen countless times in this country in different places, different people and on both times I've visited the country....my own cousin got pushed down by a vegetable seller in a wet market and spilled the vegetables and he was asked to buy them even after it was pretty obvious the seller himself pushed her down...I hope the government would do something to change this as I do not want to see athletes from around the world having this bad image of this country...one of the oldest civilizations in the world.....please give comments based on personal experiences....

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I think you should hit the "enter" key a little more often :p

I think a large part can be chalked up to cultural differences, though that's probably an easy-way-out.
    I do not approve of those things, but it's just as wrong to imprint our own cultural standards on them saying we're superior ( though the "cultural relativism" debate has been going on since the colonization )

The life-feeding is particularly interesting, I find it repulsive to see a group of people enjoying themselves with such a slaughter (this can't be called a hunt)...
    But then things like this happen all over the world...feeding snakes with living mice or rabbits, feedings crocodiles with living fish, feeding owl with chicks (they're already dead most of the time, but not a natural death).
    How can it be that I, and with me a greater percentage of the western world, accept those above said feedings, or turn a blind eye to them (he, it's nature) but don't accept it when a bison is fed to lions in a similar way?

as for the situatisn you describe above, I can't say that's normal behavior...But 'bad people' exist around the world, not just in China...

But then the end point, the Olympics... I say let them host it, in the end what matters during OC08 are the sports, the athletes, the achievements...whichever country hosts it, the games shouldn't be about politics....

3. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    well...I'm not against live feeding...I think feeding snakes with mice and stuff is not wrong...it's just nature...but this sort of feeding is more for entertainment...the tigers are not even hungry....in fact they've eaten so much they're overweight....I don't know...maybe in modern China rude behaviour is not witnessed so much...but in the less modern cities like xiamen where I went...wow....I don't feel like going back again....happened in Shanghai when I went there yrs ago but havent been there for a long time...so I can't say anything...

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is just part of the evolution of the culture. a hundred years ago Americans trade human beings as slaves. now the US are more civilized. even now there are a lot of people killing each other and fighting for small arguments.

China is still a developing country with a lot of old and odd cultures. it will take some years for it to change.

5. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    wow, have you guys read the comments on that video? a lot of hating going there...i'd actually be ashamed if i was them...the only thing people do need to realise is that everywhere in the world, there's a selection of news being shown by the media...if likely something like this is shown, it "can" be to show how bad it is, and animal cruelty, or...it "can" be to mislead the masses and mislead their direction from the war in the middle east...or it "can" be just to show how much better they are than China and Chinese people...i don't know, but my opinion being it is wrong, but then again, the whole world is wrong is some aspects...until we fix everything in one country, no one from anywhere has the right to complain about anywhere else =\

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

What does it have to do with green olympics?? (Btw politics and olympics always go together even if it's just for funding. You don't think these olympics are held to show what the state can do jerb?)

About the video :D bison fed to lions?? haha cow to tigers you mean ;) Anyway I don't think it's any worse than bullfighting but this method of dropping a calf from a van in the middle of an overweight pack of tigers (since when do tigers live in groups??) is hardly a safari if that's what it's supposed to be.
    But as far as the "tourists" are concerned: do they know any better? They will never get to see the other side of it with the media being controlled and all. They may not know they are the fifth group passing by the tigers that day or know that bears get tortured with fire and such to make em dance, they don't know tigers shouldn't be locked in a cage of 6 by 6 meters or so. But I also don't see what's so spectacular about a killing without any form of hunt that seems to get them so excited... now what if the driver happened to fall out (6). Anyway people without any worries or thoughts seem to have a need for retarded extremenesses: see youtube :D
    Looks like you have a mission on your hands :cool:

#6 demolidor, Nov 20, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  7. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    I couldn't believe what I saw. It is sickening. OMG, the kids are enjoying...

8. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I don't see why being of chinese ancestry should bring about any natural affection to the country.

9. Shiryu

Shiryu Regular Member

Nerd
    Evolution you say? China is one of the oldest civilization on earth, the moral values was established long ago even before the US even existed. I don't recall the people was entertained by watching a living being tortured and mutilated til' death. But what caused the sudden degradation of moral values in recent years? Denouncing religions, destroying old values and trying to erase history would've done it. The "revolution" has brought the country back to it's infancy, perhaps another 200 years is what it will take to mature again.