Big surprise - Mizuno Mystic Power 100

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Ricky, Dec 15, 2000.

1. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Last night I've tried a new racquet - Mizuno Mystic Power 100, and the result was very surprising. It is a 3UG5 racquet. According to the manufacturer, it's weight is about 85-90g, however I found it very light in compare with all my Yonex racquets (all of them are 2U). Besides light, it is not heavy head, with a non-oval shape and soft. One of the very special thing about this racquet is its inner side of the frame is concave. You can take a look of the racquet at -
    http://www.shuttle-house.com/MAIL-ORDER/Racket/MIZUNO-racket/MIZUNO-RA-02027.JPG
    or
    http://www.mizuno.co.jp/catalog/badminton/7tb02027/7tb02027.html

Honest speaking, I really doubt how much power can be generated from such a racquet before I trired it myself. After playing with it for a few games last night, I was very surprised that I can smash with this Mystic Power 100 as hard as my Yonex MP-100, Cab 23 or Ti-10 ! It didn't generate more power than my Yonex racquets, but it can definite match them. However because this racquet is light and soft, it is extremely easy to control and with very fast response. This sounds amazing, right ?

As someone said before in this forum, new Yonex racquets usually give incrementally improvement, but not drastic differences. However, the impression which this Mizuno racquet gave me is radically different from almost all the racquets I've used before. I can never imagine there can a racquet which combines the best of both world - power and control, and this Mystic Power is very close to this target.

Since it is only the 1st try, I still need more games to expereince with this racquet (one of the drawback I can think of is fragility). Fyi, my coach has already switched to this racquet for a few months (he used Ti-10, ISO 900, etc. before).

Finally, I'm not sure whether this racquet is available for sale in countries other than Japan, at least it can only be ordered from Japan in HK (as a result, it is very expensive). Actually I think the manufacturer has reasonably priced this racquet - just 15,000 yen in Japan (Yonex Cab 23 costs 17,000 yen and MP-100 costs 25,000 yen).

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    thanks for the product review on the mizuno mystic power 100. It is these real engineering changes that i admire from racket manufacturers, and reason why i am disappointed with yonex. Yonex try to milk the Ti-mesh to death (same gimmicky mesh on Ti-3, Ti-5, Ti-6, Ti-7, Ti8, T-10). I bet you that yonex will next put Ti-mesh in their carbonex series.

Ricky, a couple follow up questions 4 u:
    1. what do u mean by soft when u describe Mizuno MP 100? it is flexible shaft?
    2. what string was on the MMP 100?

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Is there anyone able to read japanese and intepret the site at http://www.mizuno.co.jp/catalog/badminton/7tb02027/7tb02027.html

What i can gather is that mizuno termed their concaved inner frame as "hyper strings system". I also see they r using beta-Ti material in that racket. In golf, beta titanium is usually found only in the upper line golf drivers

4. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    "Soft" means the overall stiffness of the racquet, this of course includes flexibility of the shaft. In fact, the manufacturer classifies the stiffness of this racquet in the "soft" range, i.e. below average. I personally found that this racquet is much softer than most Yonex racquets I've (Ti-10, Ti-8, MP-100, Cab 23, etc.).

The one I tried was strung with BG85 at 24 lbs, which is the same as most of my other racquets.

5. justin

justin Guest

It is good looking racket, like the non-oval head. Is it a long version?

I am scouting for a new racket, and was very keen on Carb 23. Maybe if I wait long enough, then this Mizuno may be available outside of Japan.

6. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Yes, it is a long version, i.e. same length as Ti-10 long.

In my opinion, Cab 23 is a very good racquet - reasonably priced, powerful and well balanced. It will be even better if there is a long version. Another good racquet from Yonex is MP-100, but whether it worths the extra money is another question.

On the other hand, Mizuno Mystic Power 100 is something very different. I just hope I won't fall in love with this racquet - as it is so expensive here (HK$1,350), it is a really tough decision for me to buy it or not. In addition, I'm also worrying if I always play with such as easy racquet, I may loose my skills when using other racquets !

7. AF

AF Guest

Yonex putting titanium mesh into a carbonex racquet, yes, the Carbonex 8 TI is the conventional shape. Shaft is stiff as h*ll, stiffer than TI 10 and MP 100. I haven't seen a stiffer racquet. I like it lots.
    cooler wrote:

>
    > thanks for the product review on the mizuno mystic power
    > 100. It is these real engineering changes that i admire from
    > racket manufacturers, and reason why i am disappointed with
    > yonex. Yonex try to milk the Ti-mesh to death (same gimmicky
    > mesh on Ti-3, Ti-5, Ti-6, Ti-7, Ti8, T-10). I bet you that
    > yonex will next put Ti-mesh in their carbonex series.
    >
    >
    > Ricky, a couple follow up questions 4 u:
    > 1. what do u mean by soft when u describe Mizuno MP 100? it is
    > flexible shaft?
    > 2. what string was on the MMP 100?

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

AF, thanks for finding my old post and confirming it. What more can i say except that yonex is running out ideas. (Unless yonex is withholding some new innovation or hype until after they feel the market is saturated with Ti-mesh racquets). Right now, pretty well every badminton racquet makers have some form of Ti-Mesh models.

Personally, i like stiff racket too. The SR900 that i'm using now is ok except that i find it not stiff enough. The SS and SX is stiffer but their weight balance do not suit me.

9. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I'm pretty sure Yonex will come up with a new idea...... Possibly another gimmick or maybe a real improvemet? Stiffer shafts?