Playing without eyes contacts / glasses

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Olbozz, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Olbozz

Olbozz Regular Member

working
    Hi, I have a 150 correction for my eyes. :cool: So basically, I only wear glasses when I drive (car/scooter) or when I need to look at some streets indication... (Ok, maybe I also wear glasses when I go to places where there are lots of chicks! :D:D)

Anyway, I never wore glasses when I do sports and this includes playing badminton. Last night, I went to a play in a quite dark place... Moreover the players there were very very good level and much better than me, so it was so hard for me to return their smashes!!! This also used to be one of my weakest skill.

I'm wondering if wearing glasses could help? Ok I know it won't do miracles, but I will take a try to see if it will help... if it does, I will have to consider wearing contacts as well.
    Maybe some of you had this experience? or some of you who used to wear contact, ever play without? What's the impact on your game?

Thx!

2. PeZyUaN

PeZyUaN Regular Member

College Student
    lol when i don't wear my glasses everything is wayy to blurry but every now and then i like to try playing without my glasses to have a challenge or just screw around. For me glasses is essential.. But they usually don't fall off unless someone hits me.... yea thats usually the only time they ever fall off.

3. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    I would think 150 correction is quite mild and you probably wont need lenses playing badminton - I only started to wear glasses for sports when mine exceeded 250 that I cannot see the shuttlecock clearly.

The situation you describ could be due to the poor lighting, not your eye sight.

You need to ask youself if you can focus on the shuttle and see it clearly even if it is on the opposite side of the court? If it is fine, then probably you dont need one. If the shuttle appear blurry, then it is time to get use of wearing lenses while playing.

4. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    In my experience, the darker the lighting, the more likely I will need to wear glasses to see more detail. I have +2.00 and +1.50

IMHO, theory backs this up. It depends how dark you mean by "quite dark". In low light, the rod cells in they eyes are mainly used. Rods' ability to distiguish for detail ("resolution") is less than if the cone cells used in brighter lighting.

The problem of loss of detail and your off focus (needing glasses) is made worse because rods supposedly are slower responding. Your timing would be off.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Save your grief, wear contacts. It's much more liberating than glasses. Your eyes might dry up often with contacts, so bring along an eye-drop too.

6. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    I have a pretty high precription and I find that contacts are the best while playing badminton. This is because you can see the whole view as to where glasses you can only see clearly where your eye sees through the lenses.

7. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I find that I can play my fastest with contacts on. I suggest you @ least wear glasses to play and at the very least, they also serve as eye protection.

8. Olbozz

Olbozz Regular Member

working
  9. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    ouch that's unfortunate! Hope you get well soon!! Wear glasses from now on!

10. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

After yars of perfect vision I now wear contacts - left correction is 1.25 - right is 1.75.

Our hall is quite gloomy, enough lights etc but brick walls, dark ceiling and dark tiles on floor with gloss sealer on it which is quite reflective. Many visiting teams complain of our hall but seem to adjust reasonably well.

I do play with glasses occasionally which are more comfortable that contacts lenses however there is a certain amount of vision distortion which tends to lead to some slighlty mis-timed shots. The problem with contacts is when the game is fast and flat, I find that the contacts move and cause blurring sometimes if they were not comfortable when inserted and so I have to use comfort drops to keep them hydrated.

Contacts are better for me personally. A friend of mine has the monthly ones that you can leave in your eyes day and night, these are much smaller and just cover the pupil. He says that he doesn't have a problem with fast moving sports such as badminton and doesn't complain of them slipping in the eye.

I will be changing to this type soon.

11. jeeves

jeeves Regular Member

Really recommend you use contacts, that birdie is pretty small and you need every advantage you can get.

For me glasses are a no-no to the point that I really can't play with glasses. It severely limits you peripheral vision especially when you're sighting an incoming defensive lob/clear. The moment that the shuttlecock passes your frames, it's almost sure that your shot will be mistimed. Finesse shots are also as good as gone.

Beware of hard contact lenses (just in case there are still people out there who use 'em), getting hit in the eye by the shuttlecock occurs more often that we'd think (happened to me two times in the past two years, real fluke). Hard contact lenses CAN shatter permanently blinding you if you get hit (am assuming that you're hit by either a drive or a smash, most likely by friendly fire)

12. smileysoon

smileysoon Regular Member

technologist
    Normally, I don't wear glasses when I play. The only difference I find when I do wear them, I can see the way my opponent's racket is preparing for the next shot. With the birdies I don't have a problem. Also I play with my lefthand when I'm usually a right-handed player.

13. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, hard contact lenses+a hit in the eye=oh no!
    I wear hard contact lenses myself and I've been hit near eye a couple of times and luckily I somewhat dodged it and the shots were light.:) Will be switching to soft contact lenses in a few years.:D

14. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

i prefer wearing contact over glasses because contact will help u looks at thing more clearer. I wear glasses when playing badminton and it is horrible:(. It's slippery when u start to sweat, and when u dash or do a jump smash teh glasses will jump up and down make it confusion and really hard to see where teh shuttle is. When it fogged it pretty much screw u over

15. Keios

Keios Regular Member

Student
  16. morewood1

morewood1 Regular Member

Without glasses I would have too guess where the shuttle was going. Had laser surgery correction 10 years ago and it works out cheaper than contacts.