Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Jaymez, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Jaymez

Jaymez New Member

Systems Administrator
    Hi, I've recently started playing and I want to replace my antique Pro Kennex B727. I've read the FAQ about this, but I have some specific questions and I'd appreciate any advice. Firstly, I'm very big and very strong and I'm worried that I might end up breaking a new racquet if I buy the wrong one. The main problem with my game is my net play and reaction shots. I seem to generate a lot of power for clears and smashes, but struggle to find the right power for drop shots and reaction shots. Money isn't really an object (it's going to be a birthday present!) I was initially looking at the more expensive racquets like the Yonex AT900-T but what I've read on these forums suggests to me that I could well break one of these. I'm also curious about string tension and grip size. Basically, I'm wondering what to look for in my first serious racquet...then I can adjust based on experience. This is what I'm guessing, I'd appreciate any advice!!

Tension - 18-22lbs
    Grip Size - G3-G4 (Yonex)
    Grip Type - Rubberised
    Weight - U2-U3
    Head - Isometric

I'm leaning towards something like a Yonex MP45 or AT150-T. Would that be a good choice for an enthusiastic beginner (I play in a club, but not in a league team yet. I play about 5 hours a week at the moment). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Jaymez, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) welcome.
    2) do not buy at900-t because it will break with a well placed frame shot.
    3) badminton is not a brut force game, you you are on the right track to think of the net shot and control
    4) if money is not a problem, try at500 or at700 for more power on your smash. a well rounded racquet to grow into is cab30ms (and durable. however, it is classic oval head). if you want more all around performance with iso head, try ns7700. for pure control, try the new arc saber 7. it is the best control racquet out there right now. (and i have one for sale in buy and sell forum)

3. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    but a nice sotx racket.They and really really nice, great feeling, and they never break. Mine has had seen some pretty bad times already and is in perfect nick. My old at700 however broke after 2 months when i hit it off the rim waaay too hard.
    Rackets dont make much of a difference for reaction shots imo. Its just practice and experience of getting smashed hard at etc.
    Hopefully jerby can suggest a nice sotx racket. highly reccommended.