stringing machines

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by jw, Sep 27, 2001.

1. jw

jw Guest

hi....i live in an area in which badminton is pretty rich....but da nearest badminton store is a 30 min. drive ( without traffic)....i just want 2 know where 2 look for a stringing machine dat is pretty cheap but also durable and reliable...thnx 4 ur time...

2. Lao Liu

Lao Liu Guest

Do a search on 'stringing machine' on the net. I bet you can get better responses than your post in this forum.

3. mustafa

mustafa Guest

I just bought a stringing machines from ATS Sports.
    I got a ATS Super Stringer II + badminton clamps + shipping costs for about US$210.
    It has a two point mounting system with the drop weight mechanism.
    So far so good.
    I'm still experimenting with the tensions.
    Check it out at www.atssports.com.

4. Tim

Tim Guest

I find those stringers aren't that great. If it's the one I'm thinking of, then it doesn't work well on racquets strung at high tensions.
    I've seen two Ti-6's (my own), and a Ti-7 crack at the 12 o'clock position from stringing on those machines. This is only stringing at 24lbs.
    It could just be that the racquets can't handle the stress of high tension. I'm not sure.

I know that I can't trust those types of stringers anymore and get mine strung with high-end stringing machines; not the small portable ones.
    For general purposes and lower stringing tensions, then it would probably be a good buy.
    Good luck

5. mustafa

mustafa Guest

I agree with Tim that the stringing machine works better for tensions between 19-24 lbs.

I suspect that it is a calibration problem cos' after I strung my Victor Super Ti-5 at 21 lbs, its feels like a 24 lbs tension on my MP77 strung by a professional stringer with a crank type stringing machine.

If you were to buy one, be very careful to experiment with lower tensions first before gradually working your way up to higher tensions.

In my opinion, it is still one of the best drop-weight stringer at the "below $200" price range.

However if you are willing to spend more, I would definitely recommend a 6 point mounting stringer with fixed clamps and either a crank-type or electric pull system.
    But if I'm not wrong, these should cost at least $450 excluding shipping.

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Gamma stringing machines.

hey JW,

I thought you might be interested in this little tidbit of info.

I have been looking into purchasing a newer stringing machine for myself, seeing as I now feel comfortable with my ability.
    I've found that the http://www.gammasports.com has some really great machines, especially table top models.

Out of all the models I've been looking at from the various manufacturers, I think that they probably may be making the best table top stringing machines on the market today. By best I mean, the most amount of features for your $$$.

Best of luck to you.

-Kelvin

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My friend has cracked Ti 6 (two) at this very same position and he strings at 24lbs (though not done himself).

8. kaushik

kaushik Regular Member

hi,
    check out Klipper's website.i remember seeing a stringing machine(portable) for 150US dollars.iam not sure.

Anyway iam thinking of making my own stringing machine.i just came across a website by an english guy who has got a photograph of a stringing machine designed by him at home.i have mailed him for further details.iam trying this out as an experiment.

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    actually I know 3 guys who do this, but because it seems a little un-reliable to me, I do not let them string my racquets now...
    once I gave a friend my racquet to string at 23lbs, it came out like close to 29lbs! and the frame was warping!!! so I've since stopped going to them, and string my own racquets with an older drop weight machine.

I'm looking into the gamma models, and eagnus has a competing model, that'll give the best bang for my buck that I'm looking for.

-Kelvin
    PS: What website did you come across?? I would like to see just how they exactly they construct such machines.

10. Tony Halim

Tony Halim Guest

ATS and Gamma are the same company.
    Their machines are exactly the same.

11. kaushik

kaushik Regular Member

kelvin - stringing machine design site

hi kelvin,
    this is the website run by a guy who has designed his own machine.i have mailed him but so far have not received any replies.

http://home.freeuk.com/mpescod/Badminton.htm