Any places in Sydney city area for female player to join?

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by yuna99, Nov 23, 2007.

1. yuna99

yuna99 Regular Member

Hi, Just arrived in sydney not long ago.. itching for badminton games!!
    Any social games for a female player to join? Prefer to play mixed double or women double.

Thanks..

2. Serendibb

Serendibb Regular Member

Hi Yuna,

Where do you live and do you have transport? The best place I can think of to play ladies doubles is to try the Uni Clubs .. Sydney Uni and UNSW will probably have enough ladies to cater for doubles. I'm sure you'll be able to get mix most of the time there.

If you let me know which suburb you are living in, then I could give a better recommendation

3. yuna99

yuna99 Regular Member

Hi Serendibb,

I stay in North Sydney. Any ideas?
    I dont have my own transport but railway-reachable areas should be fine for me..

thanks a lot

rgds
    yuna

4. Exodus_My

Exodus_My New Member

Hello Yuna,

I stay in north sydney too and there are a couple of places that are kind of convenient for playing badminton but most would require some sort of travel.

1) North sydney boy's school, falcon's street - They require membership which opens only february of each year. You can try for casual games but they will sometimes turn you away if there are too many members on that day. This is probably the nearest place for you.

Session : Every wednesday - 8.00 to 10.00 pm

2) Mcquarie University - There is a direct bus from either chatswood or st. leonards that goes to Mcquarie. The problem is after hours traffic can be quite bad and it can take quite some time to get there.

Session: Every tuesday - 6.00 to 10.00 pm (They have other sessions as well if you are good enough)

3) Hornsby - Direct train on the northern line to the PCYC, just a few minutes walk from the hornsby train station but it is about a 40 minute train ride.

Session: Every tuesday and friday - 8.00 - 10.00 pm

These are probably the most convenient places from north sydney. The UNSW, UTS, Lidcombe, Olympic park also have venues/clubs for badminton but are quite a pain to get to via public transport.

Alternatively the north sydney indoor sports center has a couple of courts, but are only available during working hours and sunday morning / afternoons (rest are all booked out), so if you can get a couple of ppl, you can get a court there to play. If interested PM me and I can try to hook you up with some ppl.

So go out there and have a try, sure you will be able to find a place that suits you ;) See you around sometime! :D

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    If you happen to go south at wollongong. Play at wgong uni lah. Lots of malaysian students there. Shiok.

6. Cannot_smash

Cannot_smash Regular Member

Bag snatcher hahaha
    Hi Yuna,

I used to stay around North Sydney area and I would highly reccomend the UTS badminton club.
    Catch a train to the central station, then take the bus 393 or 395 from Lee st, and it will stop directly in front of the gym.

Cheers