The right string to choose.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Nizar, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Nizar

Nizar Regular Member

Student at local university
    Hello all.

Can someone tell me the right string to choose in order to execute a good smash hit?....Because my friends told me that every string has it’s own parameters such as for balance, speed and smashing…Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks in advance for every responses.

2. Alom

Alom Regular Member

That is incorrect. Rackets have parameters of balance, speed & smashing (head heavy etc). Strings have parameters such as repulstion / power / control etc

Please tell us your playing style? do you play aggressive/defensive/all-rounder etc

Please note, strings can help assist in your game. But it wont help you smash, if you cant smash etc :rolleyes:

3. Alom

Alom Regular Member

Just realised this thread is years old... ignore this and I dont think member will be reading this now doh!!! :crying:

4. evilliv3

evilliv3 Regular Member

Engineer
    Hi Alom

i need some advice from u. My question is similar to Nizar. my smashing has little power.. in fact.. sometimes i cant clear the shuttle fully to the baseline after exerting my max power, assuming technique is correct tho..

currently im using BG66 tension at 21. im an all-rounder kind.. my racket is ashaway ti-110 or ti10 i think.. cant really rem. anw is a 4U racket. is not those head heavy kind.

thanx in adv :D

5. Alom

Alom Regular Member

Hi evilliv3,

From what you have said, your technique (assuming its correct) is good and you cant get enought power out of your shots.
    21lb is a little low for BG66, I personally think that moving up to about 23lb or 24lb will help. You just need that extra repulsion :)
    Your 'hitting the sweetspot' timing will become a little out but after a session, you would be able to adjust. You will get a bigger smash, drive and more power.

Have you tried BG80? That will be better at 24lb than BG66 at 24lb. I feel that BG66 comes alive at more higher tension. My personal opinion is that the BG80 provides more power and is grippier.

So, to conclude. Get BG80 and try it at 24lb. If you dont like BG80, try BG66 at 24lb :)

6. evilliv3

evilliv3 Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanx Alom

my technique is just normal. i wouldnt say it is good.
    yeah i was thinking of trying new strings such as BG85 or BG80. are they good for more power?

so should i try higher tension (24lb and above) even though im not a hard hitter?
    all along i thought hard hitters should go for higher tension and soft hitters like me should try lesser tension such as 22lb? m i wrong?

7. Alom

Alom Regular Member

You are kinda right but 23lb to 24lb also gives that touch of repulsion needed for deceptive play / net play / drops and the smash when you need it.

In regards to strings BG85 has more repulsion but less durability and BG80 has a little less repulsion but more durability. Both strings are good. Go for either.

Try either 23lb or 24lb, dont go higher than that because you should only upgrade by a few lbs, anything above that will feel strange for you and you wont get used to it therefore you wont like it.

8. evilliv3

evilliv3 Regular Member

Engineer
    alrighty! thanx much for your advices. i shall give those strings a try. :D

9. Alom

Alom Regular Member

No probs matey :) let me know if you need anymore help. PM me, if you dont get a reply on this thread.