Indonesia Domination

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by cooler, Nov 24, 2007.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Saturday November 24, 01:24 PM
    Indonesia aims to surpass China in badminton
    By Xinhua

Jakarta, Nov 24 (Xinhua) The Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) has announced its ambition to end within the next two years China's decade-long domination in the sport.

Indonesia, widely recognised as one of the most powerful badminton countries, is taking a step forward to retake the global lead from China, PBSI chairman Sutiyoso was quoted Saturday by local newspaper Kompas as saying.

'We spend large amount of money on our athletes to compete in European and Asian tournaments with the aim of gaining success,' he said during a visit to north Sulawesi province Friday.

Female shuttlers were given priority with the initial target of reaching the semi-finals in the upcoming Uber Cup women's group tournament and winning the trophy two years later, he said.

Indonesian players have always managed to grab gold medals after badminton was included as medal event in the 2002 Barcelona Olympics. But their chance in the Beijing Olympics was in doubt due to players being out of form in recent years.

The mixed doubles pair of Lilyana Natsir and Nova Widianto have won Indonesia's sole title out of the 12 super series tournaments introduced this year for the competitive pre-Olympic qualifying rounds.

For the first time, none of the local players triumphed in this year's Indonesia Open, also categorised as a super series.

2. event

event Regular Member

Something must have been lost in the translation. What about Limpele/Marissa in Singapore and France, Marissa/Natsir in China Masters, Candra Wijaya in Japan, and Kido/Setiawan today? I mean, Natsir/Widianto hadn't even won by November 24th, when this article was supposedly written. Did they have that little faith in the Thais?

3. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    That must be an old article maybe 2 years ago… :p

4. event

event Regular Member

No, it is from this weekend. The mention of Super Series gives it away. There were lots of Indonesian titles 2 years ago, too, including several at the Indonesian Open.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Megawati calls for badminton glory
    Ridwan Max Sijabat, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta
    Sports News November 27, 2007

Former president Megawati Soekarnoputri called on the sports community to unite in the development of the country's third most popular sport, badminton.

Speaking during the opening of the Megawati Open 2007 age-group badminton championships, the chairwoman of the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) said holding a competition for children could be a starting point for the nation to revive the glory days of the sport.

"The Megawati Open has nothing to do with the 2009 general election. It is held on the basis of our great concern over our athletes' performance in international competitions in the past few years," she said Monday at the Bung Karno Badminton Hall in Senayan, Central Jakarta.

Megawati urged national shuttlers to win back the Thomas Cup men's team championship in Jakarta next year. Indonesia has won 13 Thomas Cup from the 24 times the event has been held.

She also called on the government to ensure athletes' welfare once their careers are over.

"Many parents don't allow their children to develop their talent in sports because they think it has no future," she said.

Badminton legend Rudy Hartono, who won eight All England titles in the 1970s, welcomed the PDI-P's move to help develop badminton.

He asked young shuttlers to be committed to the sport in a bid to reach their peak in the next 10 years.

"The key to success in badminton is discipline in exercise at a young age," he said, adding he started playing badminton seriously at the age of 10 before winning his first All England at 18.

PDI-P youth and sports department chairman Maruarar Sirait said the championships were open to elementary to high school students. They will compete for the Megawati trophy and total cash prizes of Rp 75 million (US$7,979).

"Some 970 players from 58 clubs in 12 provinces are taking part in the championships. Our main goal is to seek and groom talented young players," he said

6. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    1992 Barcelona Olympics.

7. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Is true because apart from the national players, others don’t earn a penny playing badminton even have to spend $$$ buy equipments!

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm....

..wow, didn't know she has created a badminton Open tourney under her name..Btw, Krisna should know or would probably know a bit more about this story and a bit more about Indonesia's "future plan"...;):cool:
    *thanks for sharing the news, cooler; but i thought you would post these articles in the already created & related to INA's badminton thread(s)??..:confused:

9. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    We need indonesia to be strong again, not everyday china china china! Msia too small to challenge the BIG GUN!:crying:

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Sorry, meant to write..

..Indonesia's badminton/PBSI's "future plan(s)"...:p

11. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    of course this has something to do with election.....wowowow politics

12. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Aaaah, Pak Sutiyoso likes to make big speeches like that. But he himself will step down as PBSI's head by July 2008, so how can he ensure that Indonesia will beat China's domination in 2 years etc....

Last year, he himself openly said in a public speech [aired on TV] that, "China is so damn strong, I don't know how we can beat them. Unless we poison everybody there..." :eek:

I attended this year's PBSI Mukernas, where the PBSI's Core Team discussed their work program for 2008... er... not much substance there... Not enough empirical and field data to support their claims. Indonesia's youngsters and up-and-coming players are not much more talented than Taufik, Sony, Maria Kristin, Firda, Lili Natsir, Greysia, Kido, Hendra, Luluk etc...

I think ONLY IF Indonesia had up-and-coming talents like in the year 1989-90 where there were young Alan, Ardi, Hary, Fung, Joko, Hermawan, Hendrawan, Ricky, Rexy, Deni, Antonius, Tony Gunawan, Candra, Sigit, Halim, Trikus, Bambang, Susi, Mia, Yuni, Yubing, Eliza, Zelin, Lili Tampi, Finarsih, Minarti Timur.... who would all together dominate the whole 1990s and PLUS the fact that China's talents dried up at that time... THEN... INA can make a hopeful claim that INA can dominate China in badminton... :p [INA did win 5 Thomas and 2 Uber Cups between 1994-2002]

The only 2 productive things I heard in this year's Mukernas is that: more money will be spent on prize money of the domestic circuits and INA will move from a collective contract system to the individual contract system.:cool: I believe these 2 moves are good for our future. The other things they talked about were not fundamental building blocks for the future. Just short term targets [Thomas Cup win, Uber Cup semifinal, and at least 1 Olympic gold in 2008]... I can't blame us for being hopeful... :p I would be happy too if INA got all 3 thing listed above... :p

Yet... During her presidency years... Bu Mega did not spend any of her goverment's money to ensure the badminton athlete's welfare... :rolleyes: Easier to point fingers now...

I'm not sure about the other statement regarding badminton as the Indonesia's third most popular sport... Er... I thought badminton is the second most popular. Only soccer is more popular. If badminton is third, who's second? And based on what data? :confused: :rolleyes:

#12 Krisna, Nov 27, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  13. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    to be a president of PBSI is not enough for you... you should consider for running for presidency (R1) in year 2017. as president (R1).. you have the power to change :D :D :D :rolleyes: :eek: :cool: :p ;) :D :confused::D ;)...

14. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Baddy is in the blood of INA and with such a strong tradition with the likes of Rudy, Susi, you can't possibly name them all, baddy needs a resurgence from INA to provide challenge to CHN...MAS despite BAM strong backing, is a small nation though with a rich history in baddy...can't see why INA cannot rebound and be great again...agree with you.

15. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I do not see that INA can rebound and challenge China in 2 yrs......
    We do not have Pratama program anymore.
    Also we have one guy who is ready to fund to build badminton halls throughout the provinces ( helped by Ricky Subagya ) and mostly provincial officers reluctantly or refuse to provide the land as he/she did not see any benefit for them..sigh!! They do not see the big picture....
    Mostly big guys just know how to talk....I wish they really show their nationalism fi they care about INA badminton......

I think we have more works to do and to achieve them in 2 year will be miracle.....we have to build brick by brick ....

#15 huangkwokhau, Nov 27, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

That's..

..what i call, a very realistic point of view..;)

17. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    No way! That job is too hard to do. I won't have time to play badminton and watch badminton tournaments whenever I want... unlike right now... :p :D Today, I can just go to Solo to watch badminton for 3 full-days and nobody will notice...

Yeah, not in 2 years. In 10 years maybe... The good thing that's happening today is that little kids ages 10-12 are taking up badminton in a mass manner! ;)

Yup. Not in 2 years... :eek:

18. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    10-12, 16-18

2years might be abit too soon, 10years abit too long so 6years ngam ngam good :)10 -12 years kids become 16 -18years kids :)

19. bocah

bocah Regular Member

well, 10 years is still long way to go ;) but I know a little 9 years old girl, who take badminton seriously (since her father an ex-pro player :D), so let's see what's gonna happen in the next 10 years :D

20. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Note: at 16-18, most likely they can't be dominant world players yet... maybe only dominant at the World Junior level...

At 20 or 22, then they have a better shot at dominating the game. Thus... 10 years... ;) :p Ha ha ha...