User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LCW's grip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jhirata View Post
    What do you do to the end of the grip on the butt-end? Wouldnt you need to use a finishing tape on the butt-end if the grip is wrapped on upside down? O_o
    Yeah - I still don't get this - if you grip it upside down, the butt-end still has nothing sticking to the handle, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly, nothing sticks to the but end. But because you wrap it up, it shouldn't be a problem. The grip just wraps itself, so no issue of accidentally unwrapping the grip.
    I usually just wrap it at the but end twice (the overgrip is long enough, so no problem) and you'll be 200% sure it won't get loose. The sticky side will be near the cone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fengwei View Post
    Exactly, nothing sticks to the but end. But because you wrap it up, it shouldn't be a problem. The grip just wraps itself, so no issue of accidentally unwrapping the grip.
    I usually just wrap it at the but end twice (the overgrip is long enough, so no problem) and you'll be 200% sure it won't get loose. The sticky side will be near the cone.
    well, it shouldn't do. but i've had a few problems when the end of the tape near the butt end slips out from underneath the next turn. then it's a right damn job to put the end bit back in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's why I always wrap the butt end twice, so the chances of it slipping from underneath will be incredibly small. I've been doing this for years, and it has never fallen out. So when you begin wrapping near the butt, wrap it at least once (the grip is long enough -Yonex Super Grap- don't worry).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fengwei View Post
    That's why I always wrap the butt end twice, so the chances of it slipping from underneath will be incredibly small. I've been doing this for years, and it has never fallen out. So when you begin wrapping near the butt, wrap it at least once (the grip is long enough -Yonex Super Grap- don't worry).
    O.o fair point lol. i guess common sense never gets through to me haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry I was not so clear. What I meant was how he holds the racket. Well anyway, since we are on the topic of grips, what grip does he use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jorel000 View Post
    I'm sorry I was not so clear. What I meant was how he holds the racket. Well anyway, since we are on the topic of grips, what grip does he use?
    Looks normal to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of gripping style.. he is using the normal gripping style that is basically taught for badminton. Of course the gripping style changes from time to time for defence,backhand etc. WHAT type of synthetic grip that he use? YOnex Grip ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like what I like to call a 'Diver's Grip'

The 'thickend buttend' to cushion and block abbrasion to the racket holding hand when landing a dive

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jug8man View Post
    It looks like what I like to call a 'Diver's Grip'

The 'thickend buttend' to cushion and block abbrasion to the racket holding hand when landing a dive

i though it will be called "ice-cream cone"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am curious of why Lin Dan didn't use the "reverse grip" method. Instead, he used a paint tape to hold the top. It would be much more cleaner without the paint tape.

I tried the reverse tape method with a yonex grip, and to my surprise, the bottom of the handle didn't need any sticky tape. Thanks for sharing the tip. It looks nice without the holding tape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post

i though it will be called "ice-cream cone"
    hehe.

I don;t like to refer to things I like to eat.... with anything that's gonna end up all grimey, sweaty and stinky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckBur View Post
    I am curious of why Lin Dan didn't use the "reverse grip" method. Instead, he used a paint tape to hold the top. It would be much more cleaner without the paint tape.

I tried the reverse tape method with a yonex grip, and to my surprise, the bottom of the handle didn't need any sticky tape. Thanks for sharing the tip. It looks nice without the holding tape.
    Lin Dan does not use the reverse grip method because he tends to hold his racquet's grip higher up. So that's why he uses tape at the top of the grip and towel on the bottom to make him use the lower section of the grip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, LD only needs to grip the bottom half of his handle. If he chose to use the reverse grip method, he'd need to cut the grip and still use a finishing tape.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe LCW's grip is one way to make the butt end larger by using up the whole length of the over grip. The primary reason to have a larger butt end is to have a better grip when going for power or wrist snap shots, in which the grip is held loose, for both backhand and forehand, as you start your swing and then tighten at impact. It also prevents it from slipping. A better way is to make the butt end larger with a small strip of 2mm thick cork and wrap it around the butt, cover it with a small strip of electrical tape, and then finish off the overgrip or replacement grip the normal way-from the butt end towards the cone side.It looks better this way and cork is very light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i saw fu hai feng always hold his racquet at the cone side..is that the secret he can smash hard??
    what is the correct technique to hold the racquet?
    cone side?
    uppe third?
    middle third?
    or lower third?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adammohamad View Post
    i saw fu hai feng always hold his racquet at the cone side..is that the secret he can smash hard??
    what is the correct technique to hold the racquet?
    cone side?
    uppe third?
    middle third?
    or lower third?
    I believe if you watch closely, he will actually lower his grip near to the bottom if he has time to smash from back court. Otherwise he keeps his grip near the cone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast