Flying clamps

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Dirchsen, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Dirchsen

Dirchsen Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

I have just seen the video by DinkAlot here, www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIjO9MLTjJk.

So now I wonder why he is using 4 flying clamps instead of 2.. isn’t it the same, if you're using one or two flying clamps in each side? Doesn't it just take longer time to use the double up?

Thank you in advance

Btw. im pretty new at stringing, so it may be a strange question. :) Hope you understand me.

2. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    For me, 2 fly clamps is enough. Maybe dinkalot just wants to make sure that the string doesnt slip. Thats all.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi Dirchsen,

1) Welcome!
    2) If you string at high tension (>27lb) 4 clamps is used to reduce tension lost because another string is used as anchor for the clamp. It only add 2 seconds if you are used to it. I use 2 when I string up to 25 lb most of the time. Many of us argue, there is no need for 4 clamps. 3 will be enough. 1 on the 2 on the side you are working one and 1 on the other side.
    3) It is OK to ask stringing question here in Stringing technique forum and we will help out.

4. Dirchsen

Dirchsen Regular Member

Student
    I think I'll buy 3 flying clamps then. Thank you for the explanation.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you using consistent pulling machine (i.e. drop weight, electric, etc), then, only need to use 1 flying clamp on each side as you go, as the next pulling will make up all the tension lost from teh previous piece. Only use 2 flying clamps on the side, when you tie off the last main, as there's no more pulling to make up the loss anymore. ;)

So, 3 is good enough.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Using 4 for the mains is definitely safer, but you can get away with 2/3 if you place them correctly and you aren't using too high a tension. I always used to put them as close as possible to the frame, right at the end of the most recently pulled string. That way, the slack on that pull is minimized. This isn't such an issue in the early stages, but it can become annoying when you get to tying off.

2 for the crosses is plenty, and it's very easy to shuffle them up alternately as you progress.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If you do not have fixed clamps, then 4 flying clamps are necessary for a good job. Three or 2 flying clamps can also do the job but it will do a poor job. There is a special way to use the 4 flying clamps, two on each side, when stringing the mains. Failure to do this will make the 4 flying clamps as inefficient as two flying clamps. To find out the proper way, just do a search and if you find it difficult to locate then just key in my name to see if it helps.
    For the crosses only two flying clamps are needed but they have to be used properly, exactly like the way the mains are used, otherwise you will end up with lost and uneven tension.

8. Dirchsen

Dirchsen Regular Member

Student
    Many thanks for all answers. :) I have fortunately two fixed clamps, so no problem. But thank you anyway.

Now I just have one more question..
    In Part 2, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Iy5fuBt3A&feature=related, he takes all the last crosses with the fixed clamps and not the flyings. Why doesn't he just continue with the flying clamps?

9. silentheart

It holds the last string tension better?

10. Dirchsen

Dirchsen Regular Member

Student
    So he stops using the flying clamps because the fixed clamps hold the last 4 main strings' tension better than the flying clamps?
    I hope you understand me..

11. silentheart

Now I got it. He use fix clamps on the last 4 because it is to fit fix clamps than fly clamp. The head is narrower.

12. Dirchsen

Dirchsen Regular Member

Student
    I just can’t see why the fixed clamps are more fit to this, than the flying clamps. Even the head is narrower at the top there is enough space to use the flying clamps..?

13. silentheart

Sorry, my fault. Since you do not have fly clamp, I will spare you the money to experiment it. the distance between the main 9 and main 11 is too far to clamp with fly clamp. Also, if you clamp main 9 and main 11, you can not string and tension the main 10 without popping out the clamp before tensioning. Just use fixed clamp all the way for you...

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Good point, Steve: if you obey Yonex patterns to the letter, M9 to M11 can't be held with a fly clamp, so you'll need swivel/fixed clamps anyway. I use my fly clamps up to this point and then switch to swivels for M11 and M10 (I would anyway - it's knotting time).

In my own experience (I've only just bought mine), using fly clamps on the non-knot-proximal strings reduces job times by 20-25%, so they are a great buy for club/professional stringers.

15. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    just seen the video by dinksalot.....anybody have the video for the prestring of this aswell?:crying: i cant find....and dont know anygood ones.....just starting stringing and wantd to use this one as a template....but not sure on the prestringing!!!