Tension difference

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Sgbad, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Hi there,
    Do you guys think there might be a difference in perspective of tension in different countries? For example, 24lbs in Singapore is around 26-27lbs in the West? The expectations of 24lbs in the Singapore and 24lbs in the west is different.Would there be such a possibility?

Because i realised, in some shops in Singapore, they usually will add a pound or 2 when u ask for a certain tension. Because people have the general perception that the tighter the better.

Do you guys think there will be such a possibility of difference in tension?

#1 Sgbad, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

If the stringer tell you there is a difference between the tension in SE Asia vs tension in US or Europe, he/she has a shiity machine and the owner does not know how to calibrate and maintain the machine.
    They should be able to tell you they tension 1 lb higher because the tension drop or a real reason.

3. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    add a pound or 2, so that when it drops after a while it will be at your preferred tension

4. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    climate will also be a factor in how fast the strings lose tension

5. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    But as you can see, average badminton players will have the mentality that if ShopA's 24lbs is tighter than ShopB's 24lbs, they will have the impression that ShopA's stringing is better. So in bid to be the best "stringing shop", shops might up the tension by a pound or 2 to give people the impression that their stringing is good. Agree?

6. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

It should boil down to personal preference, IMHO...
    Players should play at their 'comfortable' tension and discard the 'higher/tighter is better' mantra...
    Having said all of that, it is important to find a stringer that one can TRUST... and stick with him/her. This is the real challenge. Maybe too many stringers are insecure and embark on these tactics to 'safeguard' their business.
    Also consider this: The workmanship (read: profit margin) for stringing one racket in these parts is less than in some other countries...

7. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    So can i conclude that u agree on this theory?

8. punchclear

I'm with you on the theories that;

(a) Many people have the impression that, "...the tighter the better..." &
    (b) Many stringers 'up the tension' to give such people the impression that their stringing is 'good'

But I still think that 24 lbs is (and should be) 24 lbs anywhere in the world, though... and as Master silentheart (eloquently) put it;

9. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Yes punchclear, i totally agree with you that 24lbs should be the same around the world. But i guess, if this upping of the tensions is going to continue, people might be playing at 27lbs instead of 24lbs which they asked for. Is there a body which can help rectify this problem?

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The weight unit is a standard around the world. However, the reason being certain tension feels very different in xxx vs yyy could be the following:

1. Machine setup and stringer's skill. Machine needs calibration (especially crank, which might be the most widely used type for small shops), and stringers have skill level in how to minimize the tensino loss.

2. Weather: The temperature and humidity level can change a lot from nation to nation, or region to region, or simply from in-door to out door. Therefore, the string bed tightness will be effected. As for NYC, if I string a racket in a room with heat fully on (75'F), then leave the racket in my car trunk over night (30'F), u can easily tell the tension difference.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

The only solution is to stick with your own trust worthy stringer, but not changing shops every single time. If the stringer is experienced, and know you in person, s/he should be able to give u the best solution, and simply dis-regard the "number", unless you special request with an acceptable reason.

There were young kids came to me, and claim they want 28-30lbs. After I carefully explained everything, they accepted my offer of 24-25lbs. Then, they told me my 24-25lbs feels even tighter than the "so-call" 28lbs from somewhere else. So, you can see, once ppl abuse the scale, and blindly shooting crazy numbers, it's no more a trust worthy standard. :eek:

12. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Totally agree with you!

13. punchclear

I agree 100%. Well put...:):):)
    (1) Stringers should take the effort to 'learn their craft' earnestly in order to be (technically) knowledgeable/competent enough to administer/prescribe sound advice to 'clients'...;):)
    (2) Players (read: 'clients') should take stringers' advice more seriously an incorporate it as part of the decision-making process in the stringjob they request...:);)

14. punchclear

Accreditation for Stringers

I'm thinking that (in 'our local context'), the SBA might structure some form of 'accreditation program' for 'Certified Stringers'...;)
    Such a course (e.g. 60:40 split between Practical:Theory) with some kinda assessment/evaluation built-in could be run...;):)
    This would (in turn) yield a 'pool' of 'Certified Stringers'...:):)
    This accreditation might not be compulsory/mandatory for stringers, but certification would instill (consumer) confidence in 'Certified Stringers'...:):D
    There are (in existence) programs for various Court Officials (Line Judges, Umpires, Referees, etc...) and Coaches, so (we know) the infrastructure is present...;);)
    Just MHO...:D:D:D

15. silentheart

Here are the issues...
    1) a young kid comes into a shop and want to work for the old shop owner as a stringer and run other little things. After a few years, the kid grow up, learn all tricks and trades and and leave for college. So the shop owner hire the kid's young brother. Back to experience 0 again...:crying: The worse case, the kid's little bro do not care about badminton and just want to string as many racquet and make money...:mad:
    2) "Players" usually just jump into the dating scene and mess around then move on the the next good looking one. OH, you mean badminton players... Sorry!!! Anyway, if you jsut move to a new place and need a good stringer, ask around. Talk to the stringer in person. This is a "Job" (string job. not a quickie!!!:D) interview. If the string job is good but the tension is off, give the stringer a second chance and work with him/her so player and stringer is on the same page (center fold?)

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Grandmaster SH is hitting all the right notes today. Dink it! You are good :D.

17. silentheart

This message is approved by Master LSD for prime minister group...:D

18. punchclear

Hmmm...
    I must admit that I hadn't seen it from THAT perspective...:eek:
    Was thinking in the S'pore context (when sgbad started thread)...:eek:;)
    Anyways...
    Agreed. On both counts...;)
    I sometimes forget how different things are for others (S'pore is REALLY small, and there're lotsa stringers in town)...:D
    For any offence I may have caused, I apologise...:eek::)

19. silentheart

No, you are right to bring up the idea. And infact it is a right idea. In US, there is a stringer association you can be part of just like you suggested. I just want to bring up the issue many shop owner face. As I said before, get a good stringer and stick with him/her. It is a friendship and trust you 2 are building here. Also, many shop owner and stringer gets freebees and they will pass it on to you as good customer.

20. punchclear

Thanks...

Cool... I get it (loud & clear). I do...;):)

Actually... I string my own rackets.
    I string for a small 'clique' who aren't 'affiliated' to any shops as well (don't wanna 'spoil' other people's business)...;);)

I still use the same baddie-shop that were kind enough to gimme my start in stringing, and refer as many people to them as I can.
    You're right...it IS a, "...friendship and trust you 2 are building here...":):)

Thanks for reminding me of that!!!
    Cheers, Master SH...:D:D:D