how to drive/push properly?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, Nov 25, 2007.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

errr topic...

and do you use your thumb at all?

i have very limited wrist motion when i use my thumb and i lack strength that way...

help please =) fellow badminton enthusiasts/masters

2. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

and how to do backhand drive and defense (smash defense). again do i use the thumb? for the backhand smash defense because limited movement so i cant return it high or all the way to the back line and where do you grip the racket when doing this?

all the way in the bottom or middle or the top? only for these two things

defense and drive (backhand and forehand)

#2 giant_q_tip, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

By far the best demonstration of all the techniques you mention can be found on Lee Jae Bok's videos at the IBBS site. Unfortunately, it is currently being revamped, so the videos aren't available at the moment.

Alternatively, look for his "Play to Win" video/DVD - I'm currently hunting one down for Christmas.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

To drive properly, both hand on the wheel and keep your eyes on the road.
    To push properly, go behind the car and put both hands on the trunk and make sure your feet do not slip.

5. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    proper drive/push

Proper drive/push happens when...
    1. you have the proper grip (and yes, you use the thumb during the backhand push or drive, but not when doing a forehand drive/push--you use your curled index finger); go to http://instructoons.com/book/ and click on "read more" and then "sample 4" for the proper forehand grip.
    2. You use wrist action (your palm faces left wall at start of stroke--if you're right handed, then your wrist twists powerfully, and palm faces right side of wall at end of stroke).
    3. pushing action (your stroke/follow-through goes a foot or two towards your target).

Download the free sampler at http://instructoons.com/book/ to see some instructions with lots of pictures.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The best way to correct your problem is to consult with a reputable coach or an experienced player, who has the proper strokes and knows how to teach. Try to avoid players who does play better than your level, but also using wrong strokes.

It's very hard to correct a problem or describe a problem using several word, or even some pictures. The best way is to have someone watching you on the side, and correct your stroke on the spot.

7. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    yup what silent said :D

on another note... if ur blocking a smash, ur limited wrist motion should give enough power because of the smash power coming at you. generally, the power of a backhand drive comes from the snap of the wrist as do the control of where the shot is going. drives involves a lot of wrist (forearm) power. not a swing like tennis because u'll almost never get the drive coming back at you if u do a swing with your whole arm. if ur wrist (forearm) is weak, keep playing and keep doing drives. in time u'll produce a more powerful snap.

*edit 1: yes u use ur thumb on the backhand. and i guess when ur talking about backhand defense, ur talking about a making a lift off a smash... personally i swing my whole arm a little to get a bit more power, but i think a lot of higher level ppl have the wrist power to provide that lift. also, try to contact the smash as high as you possibly can because it would give you a better drive or possible lift back to your opponent and it will keep them guessing. if u catch it be the time it comes below ur chest (if ur short like me) then driving it back is hard... too low by then

#7 drowsysmurf, Nov 27, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  8. huynd

huynd Regular Member

From my experience, powerful drives need enough pronation/pronation. If you don't know what pronation and supination, do a search - there is plenty of threads discussing these. Basically, it's the rotational movement of the lower arm. We have big muscles there, and it is these muscle that have a lot to do with power, not just the wrist. The term wrist power seems to me quite mis leading.

Once you learnt to use pronation and supination , the next step is to adjust your grip so that the racket turn perpendicularly with the shuttle flight at contact point, and near the end of the pronation/supination phase. Tightening grip upon impact is very important too.

And I do use the thumb alot - mostly with backhand drives.

Sorry if it sounds a bit too technical, it is still better to find an experienced coach/player to help you on court.