User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    An easy way for BWF to solve this issue would just be to award big ranking points on the SS finals.. Then it would hurt CHNs OG plans to not participate..

/Twobeer
    also hurt Mr. Big Event taufik too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An easy way for BWF to solve this issue would just be to award big ranking points on the SS finals.. Then it would hurt CHNs OG plans to not participate..

/Twobeer
    it's a good idea, but it's too late to be adding it now. it would make it extremely unfair to the chinese team, and imo show it's bias against the chinese team. im not trying to whine or anything, but you have to keep with the rules. you cant be changing the rules as you go.

for example, what would happen if BWF made the announcement 1 month prior to the OG saying that a country can send 4 players each or something like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jgao_net View Post
    it's a good idea, but it's too late to be adding it now. it would make it extremely unfair to the chinese team, and imo show it's bias against the chinese team. im not trying to whine or anything, but you have to keep with the rules. you cant be changing the rules as you go.
    I can't see how it would be unfair to the chineese team.. they could still change their mind and participate in the finals..

You could even argue, that it is unfair that the Chineese players skip the tournament and therefore gets more rest than the other pros before OG..as the other pro's need the money, and team china don't care about the money, just the OG medals..

Quote Originally Posted by jgao_net View Post
    for example, what would happen if BWF made the announcement 1 month prior to the OG saying that a country can send 4 players each or something like that
    Even better only 1 player per country, haha :P

/T
    Last edited by twobeer; 11-26-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CHina is not the only nations who participate in OG next year, top players from MAS ; KOREA; INA ; DENMARK for example also join in almost ALL the SS events so far.
    So, do that meants the others players doesn't need a rest or that simply meants the others have much more great stamina to sustain compare with the Chinese players???
    BWF should never let a single nation to overrule their decision of staging the SS finals..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samuel882 View Post
    CHina is not the only nations who participate in OG next year, top players from MAS ; KOREA; INA ; DENMARK for example also join in almost ALL the SS events so far.
    So, do that meants the others players doesn't need a rest or that simply meants the others have much more great stamina to sustain compare with the Chinese players???
    BWF should never let a single nation to overrule their decision of staging the SS finals..
    you're missing the point i think.

MAS, KOR, INA, DEN, ENG, etc, all want to perform at a level to have a good fighting chance for the OG golds.

the chinese don't want to perform at a level to have a good fighting chance to win the OG gold medals.
    the CHN team want to perform at a level that will GUARENTEE them the OG gold medals.

its not an issue of having more or less stamina than other players from other countries.
    if they feel they need consecutive weeks of structured training and practice to guarentee success, they will do what it takes to make that happen.

what i can potentially seeing as a good solution is some how changing the qualification laws a bit, to allow CHN to let some of their B-team players to join.
    i'm sure individuals like wang yihan, gong wejie, chen long, would perform well enough to give the other top players a challenge.

yeah, i can see how its not entirely fair if everyone has to play while the chinese tops get to rest, but thats the benefit of having that many players to draw on, and you can be darn sure that everyone else would be exercising that advantage or priviledge if they had that opportunity, not only the chinese.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation SS Finals is an invitation event

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post

Players are not required to compete in every tournament. They can pick and choose, so what's the problem?

I think the Chinese Team decided not to participate in the SS Finals because no ranking points will be given, even though the prize money is better.

And the reason why no ranking points will be given is because the SS Finals is an invitation event, while the ordinary SS events are open to all players.

If the SS Finals were to award ranking points, then it would not be fair for players who are not in the top 8 positions (who are not qualified to participate in it).

Quote Originally Posted by chickenpoodle View Post

what i can potentially seeing as a good solution is some how changing the qualification laws a bit, to allow CHN to let some of their B-team players to join.

Unfortunately, for the SS Finals, BWF has already made their rules for whom who could be invited (the top 8 players in each category, maximum of 2 from a nation only).

Even if the Chinese B-team players wanted to play, they might not be qualified for the SS Finals, except for Chen Hong whom I have mentioned who is qualified.

There could be other players from China, not involved in their A-team but ranked high enough to be invited, but is China interested to send them ?

As I have posted before, when BWF thought of these SS events and Finals, they were trying to follow Tennis (the ITF's GP, Grand Slam, and Masters events). Unfortunately, almost all Badminton players are not playing as individual professional players, but as players subject to their National Associations.

I think, in the future, if and when Badminton players can play as individuals like Soccer, Tennis, Golf, etc... players, then the SS events and their Finals will become realistic, as what they were intended to be.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 11-26-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't tink is fair for China to say it now and boycott the final. If they disagree with the SS scheduling, it should have protested from the start. It should have gentlement's agreement, once you agree to participate let finish it and will review for the next one.
    Boycott is a form of protest, it is because of fustration. LYB must be very fustrated that his players can't perform consitently tournament after tournament. Well he has to adjust his methode of training if he agree to participate at the first place.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation LYB is just interested in winning GOLD at the Olympics 2008

Quote Originally Posted by sjoe View Post

Boycott is a form of protest, it is because of frustration. LYB must be very frustrated that his players can't perform consistently tournament after tournament. Well he has to adjust his methods of training if he agree to participate at the first place.

I don't think this is a boycott.

I think the reason is that LYB is more interested in winning GOLD at the Beijing Olympics 2008.

The SS Finals prize money for his players (or for himself) is not as important to him.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTA offers ranking points for final 8......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by apontoh View Post
    hmmmmm....now that i think about it, perhaps holding the SS Grand Prix event in January next yr wouldn't be a bad idea afterall. Granted, it will be held in M'sia and around the same time as the 2008 M'sian Open?!...

Anyways, it's unfortunate and definitely won't be the same, now that the CHN squad wouldn't be able to attend this event. But i also think the organizer shouldn't be affected by their absence. Rather, they should just hold this event and still respect the other countries'/players participation...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post

Unfortunately, for the SS Finals, BWF has already made their rules for whom who could be invited (the top 8 players in each category, maximum of 2 from a nation only).
    Just guessing, could it be some kind of soft protest from LYB/China BA for not attending the Super Series Final because BWF limit the players max 2 in each category --- as they have (or can have) more than 2 players, especially in MS, WD, WS?
    He/they think it's unfair? Could it be?

I think, in the future, if and when Badminton players can play as individuals like Soccer, Tennis, Golf, etc... players, then the SS events and their Finals will become realistic, as what they were intended to be.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    If it happens in the future, it would be definietly good, for the players and for the sport (badminton) as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what many of you are forgetting, is that, yes, Wong Mew Choo, Peter Gade, and everyone non-chinese plays in the Super Series as well. BUT, they don't play as many games per tournament, cos they usually get kicked out before the finals. chinese players have usually played the longest routes to get to where ever they end up(usually winners).

and what they're doing isn't really unfair on the other players. it's actually letting lower ranked opponents a chance to shine without the presence of China. it's actually pretty smart. as my dad often tells me, "win the matches you need to win, treat the others as a club game."

i guess the Chinese are just doing that. they want to win the Olympics, and so, to them, the Super Series final is like the Vietnam open. it doesn't really matter if they win it or miss out.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

also remember that the attraction of SS Final is mostly for spectator and prize money. the anticipated prize money is very attractive, these are professionals afterall and they don't just go for ranking points but also the cash reward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be disaster if other country will retaliate by pulling out from OG. May not be Indonesia or Malaysia but other country like Denmark, Britain, Thailand etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but the thing is, WILL the Super Series final go on? according to some reports, it will be scrapped because Qatar and Malaysia couldnt host it, but according to the Star today
    (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.a...644&sec=sports)
    apparently it will be resceduled.... hmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it does go on, it will still be interesting to watch, with or without China's participation...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Doha to host Super Series Finals 2007 ?

Quote Originally Posted by kenny7_2006 View Post

but the thing is, WILL the Super Series final go on? according to some reports, it will be scrapped because Qatar and Malaysia couldn't host it, but according to the Star today
    (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.a...644&sec=sports)
    apparently it will be rescheduled.... hmm...

The latest that I have heard is that Doha could hold it in January 2008.

Last edited by chris-ccc; 11-26-2007 at 10:16 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast